OMD Touch To Focus Option (whats the point?)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Nov 29, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Warning. This might be a really stupid question.

On the OMD and many other OLY cameras.

There is a touchscreen option for Touch to FOCUS, which does not release the shutter.

What is the point of that option? Maybe someone can help me use its function... Is it only for video? Because when i use it, then press the shutter release, it refocuses anyways. which is defeats the first action.

Because if I didnt want to use it, I would select the First Function which is
    NO TOUCHSCREEN FUNCTIONALITY. If I wanted to actually take the picture, I would selct the third option, and make it release the shutter when pressed..
  2. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    I touch my E-PM2 and it release the shutter. :)
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    You can disable shutter button AF, which makes it more meaningful.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    That makes sense.. thanks
  5. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    The point is that it is a very fast and accurate way of selecting focus point. I use it mainly when taking landscapes with the camera on a tripod. I prefer not to use the option of actually releasing the shutter with the touch screen because it is likely to cause camera shake.
  6. therourke

therourke Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 23, 2012
    I've been using it to change the focus point, which is fiddly to do with the left <

On a DSLR moving the focal point was a case of using the direction keys. I'm sure there's a way to change these options, but at present focal shift by touch makes sense.

I was a bit put out at first by the "touch screen to take a shot" option. Yes, it's like a smartphone. But it annoyed me

To be honest, a week into owning the OMD, I haven't quite figured out my perfect settings yet.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have found this to be extremely useful, seperating focus from exposure. I can lock focus, move the camera to adjust and lock exposure, then move back and shoot without the camera re-focusing. A great function, although somewhat confusing when someone else uses the camera.