1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD-Too much in the EVF-

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnicjnic, Jul 13, 2012.

1. jnicjnic

jnicjnic New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2012
    Forgive me if this is a dumb question, I'm just hoping it is an easy one for some knowledgeable person.

Call me old school but I like having just the aperture, SS, and maybe the exposure compensation and ISO displayed in the viewfinder. I know by choosing the 'image only' settling things clear up, but then when any dial is moved, up comes a god almighty clutter displaying everything from the time, to the film setting, to the flash setting (even with no flash on the camera).

My question is, is there any way to get just have the essentials show?:confused:

2. Pinoymaker

Pinoymaker New to Mu-43

Jun 12, 2012
    Pressing "info" will cycle through all the different choices, but I don't think they have what you want.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I agree...I hate having the microphone icon always display (as long as you want it to be active for movies)...but the battery and focal length are only displayed on occasion. Makes no sense to me.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Don't worry. In the next one, they'll probably add a menu where you can individually toggle every icon for every shooting mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use the display option that puts the info on a black background below a slightly reduced in size image. That display at least solves D@ne's problem of the microphone icon since that doesn't get displayed in the information shown. There's a lot of other info items that get shown in the full screen display that don't get shown in this display, but you do get a bit more than battery, aperture, shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation.

The only info that gets shown in my image area are the highlight/shadow blinkies warnings for blown highlights/crushed shadows.

My basic reasons for choosing this option are that it gives me an uncluttered view of the scene, and also it lets me see the whole frame area a lot easier since I wear glasses and I find that if I use the full size display I can't see the edges of the frame without consciously making the effort to scan all around the edges.

Don't know if that display will work for the OP but it is an option.

6. jnicjnic

jnicjnic New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. I suppose I can only hope that, like every niggling imperfection people discuss on message boards, it gets fixed in some kind of golden 'firmware update':cool:

Maybe I'll write them.....

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Maybe I'm seeing something different, but pushing Info a few times gets rid of most of the display except battery, mode, aperture, shutter speed, iso, EV, shots left and minues left (fr video).

Since all that info is in the blue area below the image, it's not a distraction.

8. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    This depends on which style you have the EVF set to. For style 1 & 2, you are correct. But style 3 gives a bigger image and has the problems stated.

9. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I like it simple too... so I go in the menu and turn everything off, or as much as I can turn off, for the evf, the rear display, the picture review info and the zoomed-out/thumbnail picture review. Hate the touchscreen too, turn that off too.