Omd surprises

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by greysonj, Dec 1, 2012.

1. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    I was thinking about buying an omd in a few weeks so while I am in an area with a store that has one i decided to check it out in person to see if I liked it. It is so much smaller than I thought it would be! Did any of you omd owners feel the same way? Also, if any one with a grip would do me a favor and post a picture with the full grip on, but in your hands? I know what it looks like but I would like to see relatively the size of it with the grip. Maybe I should wait for the GH-3 as much as it pains me to give up on the idea of the omd.
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    I love that it is so small. Too small for my hands, but love the idea. :)
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Even though it is styled along the lines of an old SLR, the small size of the E-M5 means that I use it mostly with the rear screen, just as I did with the Olympus Pen cameras.
  4. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Though I don't have it (I'm still debating whether to get it, since I'm only interested in the grip, not the battery pack), the biggest difference is not the size of the camera, but it's the way the EM-5 feels in your hand. It feels perfect! It doesn't feel fat, or oddly textured. the dial is closer to you finger and rotates horizontally rather than vertically (a reason why I preferred Minolta over Canon back in the day), and it's still nowhere as heavy as a mirrored DSLR.

I think the bigger difference between the GH3 and EM-5 is not so much the grip in your hands, but the location of the Image Stabilization feature.

...oh, and from what I hear, the GH3 is better with video...if that's a concern for a photo camera.
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Unlike Nic, I rarely use the LCD. The grip only comes off to change the batteries. I shoot nearly identically as if it was a dSLR. I use the LCD only for those once in a while odd shots. I am not one who has a problem with balance or size ... I find I can adjust relatively easily to ergonomics, but I find the camera is definitely easier to use, better handling with the grip. (But then I find all cameras easier to use with the grip.) The additional battery really makes the grip a must, as the camera seems to be on the energy hungry side of the equation and the batteries are small.

6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I find the small size of the OM-D seriously compromises its ergonomics. Others feel differently. I don't have the grip: $300 is absurd, especially if you only care about the horizontal grip.
  7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Interesting comments.

I felt slightly uncomfortable with the smallness of the E-M5 when I got it, though more comfortable with the control layout (apart from the on/off switch) than I am with my E-P3. I bought the Olympus grip and the landscape portion of the grip ended up living on the camera for some months, and the full grip on and off for short periods.

Then, to save a bit of space in my shoulder bag when just carrying the camera with me one day with the 17mm F/2.8 mounted, I removed the grip and just took the stock camera with me. That was a couple of weeks, maybe a month ago. The grip hasn't gone back on and I've really been enjoying the size and balance of the camera.

I don't know what the difference is but currently I'm preferring it without the grip and I never thought I'd find myself saying that because my initial reaction was a very strong one to the effect that the landscape grip was a big improvement and the portrait grip a further improvement with physically longer/heavier lenses because it added a bit more mass lower than my hands and that improved the stability with those lenses.

I use the viewfinder mostly, screen rarely, with or without the grip.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    When I first got an E-M5 I was certain that I'd either buy a grip or get rid of the camera. Then a few weeks later I couldn't remember why I wanted a grip in the first place. Not sure how that applies to anyone else, but I guess I'd recommend giving it a chance beyond a quick fondle at the camera shop.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I still don't go through that shock. My OM-D was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't. Now I have to wait until Monday! :( haha
  10. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm 6'5" with 11.5" wide hands from tip of pinky to thumb, and I don't have any problems with the ergonomics of the OMD.

I must be doing something wrong. :smile:
  11. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    You must have picked it up at one of those BIG & TALL stores. Maybe there is a super sized version we don't know about? :eek:

How do you not have "some" issues? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
  12. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    I'm really not sure, maybe my hands are big enough that I've crossed over into some area that the ergonomics work again?

Good Ergonomics <--- Poor Ergonomics ---> Good Ergonomics.
    Small hands <--- Normal to Large hands ---> Really big hands

Or, possibly, I just hold it weird. Whatever the case may be I have no complaints with it, and I was worried when I bought it.
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Need a photo of Hank's humungous hands holding his e-M5!

Need one.
  14. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    <a href="">[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  15. hankbaskett

Aug 21, 2012
    But seriously though: :smile:

Excuse the crappy cameraphone shot, I think IBIS is spoiling me :p
  16. GRID

GRID Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2011
    I had the same feeling when i first got mine, but this fixed the problem for me.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. greysonj

greysonj Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    That looks awesome! What is that you've got there?
  18. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Almost bought the grip with the camera.

The main reason to move from the 5DMk2 was to try out a smaller camera before I launched into the Mk3. So why, I asked myself at the time, did I want to INCREASE the size of the camera????

Now that I have used it without the grip I do not think I will get one.
    I am sure the grip changes the ergonomics of the camera but currently I do not see the need to bulk up the camera.
  19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I was very surprised at just how tiny it feels in the beginning, but it's a very comfortable size - easy to pack, easy to hold, easy to operate. Finding the best way to operate the dials and switches took a while, but now it's my ideal small camera. The big Canon DSLR is more comfortable to operate, but is ridiculously large and heavy and annoying to carry around in a lot of situations.
  20. Terry

Terry New to Mu-43

Dec 2, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    My initial reaction was the same. Quite soon it felt normal and my Canon 7D felt big and clumsy!
    I am selling all my Canon gear and buying Olympus lenses.