1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD silver/black body/housing combo. Need help.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Sniksekk, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Hi there, long questions, hopefully easy to answer.

I've got m10 house, and O 17/45 lenses in silver.

I've got e-m1 and 12-40 and 40-150 in black.

I've got major GAS atm and need input.

I'm really considering 75mm prime, but what color black or silver ?

A: if I buy it (75mm) in black will it look ridiculous on my silver m10?

B: if I by it in silver will it look ridiculous on my black e-m1?

C: is a pure black housing/ lens combo more discrete in a urban environment then silver?

Now days, my 12-40 is more or less glued to my e-m1, so the 75 will be a lot on the m10.

BUT.

The when i buy the future buy a new housing it almost certainly will be black.

That's why I'm uncertain about color on this lens.

Heeeelp?

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    A: Subjective
    B: Subjective
    C: Yes

If a future body will be in black, then buy a black lens if black/black is your preference. With digital, IMO, bodies are disposable but lenses are a one time investment.

Having said this my order of preference in terms of color is:

1. Black body, black lens
    2. Black body, silver lens

I'm not a fan of silver bodies for SLR style cameras. This probably comes from shooting film SLRs back in the day and having almost always chosen black bodies to go with lenses that were predominantly black.

Lastly, even though I'm not a fan of silver, Olympus makes it worse by using different hues of silver on some of their lenses which doesn't even match the silver on the body.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
  4. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    A YES (subjective)
    B NO (I have a silver em-5 and the 7-14 in black... looks too sexy almost)
    C YES ive done enough street and documentary works to know, people even tape them black (logos/brandings) on their cameras

5. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Love you guys.

I'll buy it in black, and just try it out.
    If I hate it I'll just duct it silver until next future house in black.

Btw that video is awesome.
    Silver house with black lens is not that bad as I feared.

6. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I personally hate the look of silver lenses on a silver body, but then I also dont like silver lenses on black bodies... guess I just dont like silver lenses....

Get a black version :)

7. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Definitely go black. I think a silver lens on a black body looks awful. A black lens on pure silver body wouldn't look too good either, but the E-M10 is silver and black so it can wear both black or silver lenses comfortably.

I put a black Aki Asahi cover on my silver E-PM1 so it would look good with either black or silver lenses, and I chose a silver/black E-P5 for the same reason.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    FWIW - I like silver bodies and think either black or silver lenses look good on them. However, I agree that for black bodies you should have a black lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    C: Depends on where you shoot. People think that the Silver EM5 Mk II is a film camera and pay me no attention, even though I tend to stand out. Whenever I shoot with the Oly or the Nikon Df, I always ask people why I am still shooting film. :D

I got the Oly silver EM5 because I liked the way it looked. I don;t buy gear because of what I think other people might perceive or to be more discrete. Discretion is more about how you act in public and in your actions and very little with the gear you are using.

10. Robert

Robert Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 16, 2012
    .......serious? I bought a silver Panasonic 20 mm and silver Samyang 7,5 mm from a guy with the same problem. The pictures are fine when taken with my Black EM5 and I kept some money in my pocket. This question sounds to me like a terminal case of GAS.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Mu-43