1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD + Sigma 18-50 F2.8?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Foto_con_Sabor, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Foto_con_Sabor

Foto_con_Sabor Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Philly, PA
    So, just as the title suggests....optically, from my research it seems that this would be a great lens. I've been presented with the opportunity to grab this rare lens (discontinued in like 2009, I think...crying shame too!) for a decent price. I'd be using it not only with my OMD but also my GH2 for video, a good deal of low light stuff (inside salsa clubs mainly). Does anyone at all have experience using this with the OMD/GH2? I believe the lens isn't optimized for CDAF unlike the oly 14-54 mkII, but I wanted to know if the autofocus is acceptable. I wonder if the OMD's focus assist light works with it....? I do realize there are plenty of primes available, but this zoom may present a flexibility that would help my purposes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I would suggest against it. My (admittedly brief) impression was that the lens was both slow to AF (slower than my 12-60) and not especially accurate. The 14-54II isn't fast, but it's certainly a lot faster.

I suppose in dim light, the AF assist beam might help, but it's still going to be slow.

3. Foto_con_Sabor

Foto_con_Sabor Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2012
    Philly, PA
    Damn. That constant f2.8 and great price made me really wanna jump on it. But if it's THAT much slower than the 14-54II....:-/