OMD: Shortcut to HDR?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Heavy Doody, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    On my Canon DSLRs I had 3 custom "modes" on the dial that I could configure. I had one set up for Aperture Priority HDR. It put it in AV mode, turned burst shooting on, and set the bracketing to 3 shots @ 2 stops.

That was really nice because I don't shoot may of them, so I really enjoyed a quick dial turn to go between that and whatever my "normal" shooting mode happened to be (usually manual or AV).

With all the button customization on the OMD, has anyone come up with a way to cut down on the number of steps and the amount of menu digging to switch back and forth between these 3 HDR properties and... whatever?

2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Are you using the My Sets? It's a confusing name and there's still a little menu digging, but it works nicely.

See https://www.mu-43.com/f42/em-5-myset-26064/ that post for more.

Frustratingly you can't rename them either. :(

3. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I'll check that out. Trying to squeak some research in before I buy.

Thanks!

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Mysets work well. I've set one up for HDR:

- 5 shot AEB at 1-stop intervals
    - High speed continuous shooting

The E-PL5 goes further and allows you to assign a myset to a position on the mode dial (eg the SCN position which surely NO-ONE with such a capable camera would ever use!). Alas, the OMD does not allow this. It takes 5 button presses to get there - sigh.

5. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    exposure bracketing can be assigned to the custom back button. However you have to both hold down the button and the shutter at the same time for it to work. Keep the shutter button down until the camera takse all 3 (or 5) pictures and it will then stop. Best to use the highest FPS setting for this.

6. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    This is doable. I used this setup on my E-pl5 for a while, but it was quite awkward in practice. Fortunately my camera allows me to assign one of the modes (SCN for my, I'd never use this myself) to a Myset. OM-D doesn't allow this, but the position of the assignable buttons may be better. On my little PEN, it was awkward to use.

P.

7. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    OP has and OMD. I also wish they would allow assignment of mysets to the dial like the epl5.

8. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Maybe a software update?

9. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    I am trying to use bracketing for HDR shots on my EP2. Unfortunately I can only get + - 1 EV. Is there a way to change that to 2EV intervals? Do later Oly models have that capability?

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The OM-D choices are +or- 0.3, 0.7, 1.0 EV...2, 3, 5 or 7 frames

11. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    My E-PL5 has a separate setting for HDR Bracketing. Up to 2 EV steps, I believe up to 7 exposures.

It also differs from normal bracketing in that it locks focus and aperture at the first exposure to assure better fit of resulting shots (yes changes in aperture and focus will very slightly change the size of the resulting image, not a lot, but enough to prevent pixel-for-pixel fit).

Works great. I have my mode dial set so "SCN" will instantly give me a 5 exposure (2EV) HDR set.

P.

12. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    Thanks Dave. Before I go an buy the OM-D I would still like to find out if the E-PL or E-PM models can do something like + - 2EV and at least 3 frames.

13. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    As Paul said, the E-PL5 has special HDR bracketing modes in the Bracketing menu, which can in turn be assigned to unused mode dial positions. I have mine assigned to the "Scene" mode position which I never use (just like Paul, lol).

Basically, you set up your HDR settings and save them in a "MySet" memory. Then you can use the Button/Dial menu to assign a MySet to a mode dial position. You then have instant access to HDR mode. On the E-M5 I have to go to the menu and select MySet2 which is my HDR -- not so bad but the E-PL5 makes it easy. Even my little LX7 has programmable mode dial positions and I have C1 positions set up for HDR.

I do wish the E-M5 has such flexibility. To get 2EV brackets I shoot the E-M5 in 5 shot, 1EV mode and take the brightest, darkest and normal shot for HDR.

Much more flexibility in the E-M5 and I prefer it for HDR all else being equal -- but I'd still like those modes in the E-M5.

14. RayB

RayB Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2010
    California
    Thanks guys. I should have read more carefully .Paul did fully answer my question. I am putting the E-PL5 on my wish list.