OMD settings preferences

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jacko, Sep 13, 2013.

1. jacko

jacko New to Mu-43

May 30, 2013

I am new to the wonderful world of OMD, and I was wondering if anyone has a list of settings that they really like. I would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks, again

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Settings depend on YOU and what and how YOU shoot!
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Let Google be your friend...
  4. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Jacko -
    Use the search feature of this site. The E-M5 is a year and a half old, when it first came out there were a lot of threads here and some links to blogs with full suggested settings. Some of the blogs were written by members here, and I found them to be terrific when I first got my E-M5.

That said, the factory settings are really pretty good.
  5. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
  6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
  7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
  8. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I agree, that's a good starting point. IMO, Pekka's settings work really well if you shoot raw and post process; they tend to maximize the amount of information captured. But for many scenes the out of camera jpegs will look washed out, over exposed, and will lack contrast. I have a myset set up with Pekka's settings when I'm trying to be a real photographer. I generally shoot both raw and fine quality large jpegs. For much of what I do the out of camera jpegs are just fine. If there's an image I really think is special I'll work on the raw file. For casual out of camera jpegs I use natural picture mode, noise filter off, sharpness -1, contrast 0, and keep warm color (can't recall the exact name of that one) off. The raws definitely have more head room if you need to push shadows or recover highlights. But 90% of what I do is not mission critical and the jpegs work fine. But, as others have said, you'll need to experiment a bit to find what works best for you.
  9. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm confused ... besides Noise Reduction what settings permit one to alter the raw output?
  10. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
  11. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Technically, I don't know. Pekka's settings are, I believe, intended for exposing to the right, so it's about how the camera meters rather than impacting the raw files. It's about capturing the maximum amount of information without blowing out highlights. If you use his strategy you'll virtually always have a very useable raw file.
  12. Smashatom

Smashatom Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK
    I was just going to ask a question but I think you may have already answered it, correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that if using the ETTR technique I should use the following setting to get the best results?
    Shooting Menu 1 > Picture Mode > 4 Muted > Contrast -2, Saturation, -2, gradation: Normal
  13. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Yes, if processing raw and with the understanding that many images will not look good on the lcd and will appear very washed out when initially imported. I'd suggest looking at the original site. Lots of good information there. I'm just a rookie. Here's the site