1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD - setting the clock and date issue

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Armanius, May 10, 2012.

1. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Do you have to keep re-entering the date and time each time the battery is out of the camera for more than 5 minutes? That's what I'm encountering right now.

I'd have thought that the camera has an internal battery supply for the camera settings and the date/clock. The camera settings seem to stay there, but the date/clock keeps resetting whenever I take the battery out for more than 5 minutes.

2. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    That sure doesn't sound like normal behavior. As a rule, I try to remember to store my cameras with the batteries removed; would be a pain to have to reset date and time over and over again..

I don't have OM-D yet, so I can't answer the specific question. Armando, it looks like you finally found one!

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Not my experience...

I've had my battery out overnight and the clock is still spot on. Strange that it is not working for you...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    @Tom - I guess it's just my luck! Finally found one, and it's quirked up!

@Chuck - Yes, it took a while, but I stumbled across an OMD accidentally while in the search for a Sigma 30mm for the NEX.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    this might sound stupid, but that has never stopped me before.....
    after you set the time, are you hitting OK or are you just "backing out" out of the clock setting menu before you've actually set it? (not even sure it works like that)

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Luke. I hit "ok."

When I remove the battery for a few seconds, and put it right back in, the clock and date remain unchanged. If I wait a few minutes, it all resets to nothingness.

My theory right now is that the internal battery may be fully discharged, and it requires more time to charge back up via the main battery. Or at least that's my hope!!

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's what I was thinking, but it's very strange!

8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have no luck with "dates." Literally!!

My M9 locks up whenever I am setting the date. So I gave up doing that, and all my photos from the M9 are time stamped January 1, 1970, 12:01 a.m.

9. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    My OM-D did the same thing, so I think your theory might be correct

• Like Like x 1
  10. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Still sounds sketchy; those little internal batteries should charge quickly and hold their charge for months.Hopefully the folks on the assembly line remembered to install the battery...right side up....

• Like Like x 1
  11. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA

Armando- mine did this on the first day also. I had a full charge in the battery, used the camera for a relatively short time, and then popped the battery back in the charger. When I powered up the camera the next day, I noticed that I had to reset the clock.

I was a bit worried, but then made sure to leave the battery in the camera for a full day. Since then, the date/time and settings have been good, even when leaving the battery out of the camera overnight.

I think your theory is dead on - could be a matter of giving the internal battery time to fully charge when new.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    so the moral of the story is don;t bother setting the day and time until you have a full charged battery in there and can leave it in there for awhile.

• Like Like x 1
  13. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Was there any guidance in the user manual regarding the need to charge the clock battery?

• Like Like x 1
  14. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    See page 99 of manual. Leave battery out for more than one day and it will return to factory settings. Hmm...that's a bit annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Interesting.

This won't probably be an issue for me most of the time, especially given the long life I am getting out of the battery and the fact that I am taking it everywhere with me. It would completely be a non-issue if they had these things called spare batteries available. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. crsnydertx

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Camera companies don't seem to grasp concepts like "planning, "logistics" and "inventory management"....:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    wait... what. and these little things are exactly why oly did NOT call this a pro camera.

wait, does this also mean button mappings get screwed over? .... just read the manual, it seems specific to date/time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Mine did the same thing but lately it seems to be holding the date and time between battery charges.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The button mapping didn't reset for me. It was just the date and clock.

• Like Like x 1