OMD Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gsciorio, Apr 21, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm looking for a matte finish screen protector for the OMD. I've not found one yet but it looks like the screen might be similar to the EP3 which has the same size.

Any recommendations? I would use a Zagg but there is no place in town that cuts them to fit.

2. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I got a Zagg iPod screen protector and cut it on a paper cutter at work.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    So it cut ok? I thought they were hard to cut. Also did you end up with sharp corners at all? Thanks!

4. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    I put a NuShield anti-glare protector on my laptop, it seems to work well. They don't have one cut exactly to the OM-D screen, but you can get a pair of 4.5" cut to fit pieces for $15. I'd suggest the DayVue film, since the camera will be used in the sunlight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Ozarks
    I sandwiched it tightly in some chipboard packaging. I used an industrial paper cutter. The edges are sharp, I got one side about half a millimeter off so it's not perfect. Knocked off the corners. No bubbles. Liking it so far.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I have Giottos protectors on my E-PL3 and my Sony a900. I LOVE 'em. The issues with the EM-5 would be that the touch screen would be unusable. If I can get around without the touch screen (which I really don't like) then I'll install one on the EM-5. They really make the image on the monitor look better IMHO. If I find that the touch screen is a must have, then I'll look for a film of some sort. I have a film protector on my Nex3 and it's great, but I don't remember who made it :mad:

7. okinana

okinana Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I got the ProGuard for Olympus OM-D E-M5 by MicroSolution from Japan...

...but I don't have my camera yet.

• Like Like x 2
  8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks! Ordered one.

9. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

There's a German company selling in the UK (including Amazon UK), but they may be shipping worldwide: protectionfilms24.co.uk. They sell pre-cut 3M Vikuiti series films. They have a number of products for the E-M5 (different materials, same size). Very nice fit anyway and these films have always had good reviews.

HOWEVER: Watch out for 3M ARMR200 film products - they only work with resistive touch screens (E-M5 is capacitive), so if you don't want to disable the touch screen, get something else (like ADQC27 or DQC160). The company I mentioned sell the ARMR200 film cut for the E-M5 - which they shouldn't be doing. I ordered mine not knowing that the touch screen will not work, so I asked for a refund and went for an adqc27 one.

10. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Folks: most capacitive touch screens work just fine with a screen protector. A thin plastic film isn't going to block the electrical signal unless it's got some abnormal conductive or insulation properties. Maybe a metallic film will give you problems, but I don't think many screen protectors use that.

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I'm not exactly sure what the structure of the ARMR200 is and whether it contains any coatings that could affect capacitance (or prevent its changes which I suppose any dielectric material would do and which I think is the case here) but the fact is that once I placed it on the E-M5's screen, touch screen functionality stopped working. It's even noted on the manufacturer's website. Being the conservative type of person that I am, I don't use it anyway but my girlfriend loves the touch AF. A resistive touch screen is effectively driven by pressure, while a capacitive one relies on the current passing through the outer conductive layer and any conductive object that touches it (like our fingers).

12. joysmahal

joysmahal Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Bought mine on eBay for $4.50

I bought my OM-D screen protectors on eBay. The auction was for 2 anti-glare (matte) and 2 Clear screen protectors for $4.50. The seller is in Hong Kong and took about 15 days to get to me (Seattle, WA).

I had some eBay bucks to spend so this didn't cost me anything and I thought I'd give it a shot since they're pretty cheap. Unfortunately, I don't have my OM-D yet; but once I receive it I'll let you know how they work out.

2 Anti-Glare + 2 Clear Screen Protector for Olympus OM-D E-M5 / OM - D E - M5 | eBay

• Like Like x 2
  13. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Ummm, I got a E-P3 one and it fits my screen perfectly without any modification.

• Like Like x 1
  14. photocat

photocat New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
    I got a Zagg for my pen-3 . Bought it at Best Buys and they put it on for me. Worked fine, no problems with the touch screen features.

Thanks for the tips on other items as I am looking for something to put on my new EM5

15. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Great tips here! So is it safe to assume that the screen on the EP3 is pretty much the same as the one on the OMD?

16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Which brand?

17. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Thanks for info! No camera yet but ordered!

18. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    No idea, it was a generic piece from the camera store, not even a packaging, probably a bulk order to save cost. The only thing I saw on the protector was the word E-P3. :eek:

19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I took my EM-5 to my favorite Window Tint guy in Boise.. I told him I needed my screen to be protected from scratches and that I needed it be razor thin with some anti glare protection.. he took it the back room.. I sat down in waiting room for ten minutes with my newspaper .. he brought it back to me, and I couldn't even hardly tell he had done anything to it.. rounded corners and perfectly awesome.. no bubbles.. I asked him what the damages were ($) and he said.. have a nice time with your hobby.. he said he used 3M anti glare from a piece of left over material he had in the trash.. :smile: you might want to try it.. I can hardly tell it's on my camera.. but if you look close you can see the slightly rounded corners..

• Like Like x 2
  20. chiral

chiral Mu-43 Regular

Feb 20, 2012
    PA
    I think it is pretty late in the discussion, but I wanted to purchase Pro Guard Protector for E-M5, but it was out of stock on Amazon. So, instead of waiting, I took a chance on Pro Guard for E-P3, and I am happy to report that it fits perfectly on E-M5 - exactly same dimensions.

BTW, I love Pro Guard. It looks almost invisible!

Amazon.com: Micro Solution Digital Camera Anti-Fingerprint Display Protection Film (Pro Guard AF) for Olympus PEN E-P3 // DCDPF-PGOLYMEP3: Camera & Photo