1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD Review by Thom Hogan

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by apbtlvr, Jan 28, 2013.

1. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Don't know why this was dated December 17th, as it just appeared today. An interesting read nevertheless.

Sansmirror OMD-E M5 Review

• Like Like x 1
  2. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    That date may have been when he first put it up on site, and before publishing.

I agree with everything he said. I love my EM5, but it does have its quirks!

3. Darthpnoy88

Darthpnoy88 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    California
    Pretty much agree with everything he says about the E-M5 hoping it will drop in price when they release a new version with improvements Thomas suggested.

4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Solid objective review IMO.

One thing that i find interesting though. (Off topic unfortunately).

I would LOVE to have the OMD, but the pricing in Croatia is about 50% up from pricing in USA. Also, not exactly the same standard between the two :)

Hoping for mark II and price drop but it will only bring me to new tortures bcs then i will mind not having the ability to shoot fast moving objects and have continuous autofocus.

It's mostly fueled by the fact that when i buy every single consumer product, either a better version comes out in a week or in the manual for my version (lets say 6730), there are specific sections highlighting obvious advantages of version 6730x (which i was too cheap to buy).

/rant

5. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    The 'accidentally changing settings' issue interested me as I'm having the exact same problem on the G5. I am constantly brushing the 4 way controller and therefore moving the AF point, so I had to switch that functionality off...so I'm now accidentally going straight into WB or ISO settings instead.

A 'settings lock' button would be very welcome if you happen to be somebody who spends a long time out in the field using the same settings.

• Like Like x 1
  6. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    But it would need to be a menu item so that you didn't engage or disengage it with an accidental button touch :) A setting included in the SCP would be very nice.

Actually I'm not joking because I have the same problem with accidental button touches as well.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I couldn't get through it all -- bored & sleepy -- but an early point is worth repeating:

• Like Like x 1
  8. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    One aspect of the review I found interesting was Thom's discussion of the EM-5's eventual need for sensor cleaning and his inference that it must be done by Olympus. I hate cleaning sensors and know all too well how it's eventually required. As a result, I tend to be more protective while changing lenses in the field. Since there's not been a whole lot of info posted regarding this topic, I found his remarks informative and useful.

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The prices have dropped (here in Australia). Our RR price was $1499 for the splash proof kit (E-M5 & 12-50 lens) & I bought mine in the beginning for $1337, now one store (JB HiFi) has it for $1196 & Harvey Norman, $1177. How much better do you expect it for (considering your prices there)?

10. billgreen

billgreen Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 4, 2012
    Herradura de Rivas, Costa Rica
    Bill Green
    Last statement in the review: "Another area where I'm going to get disagreement. You can get a very capable larger-sensor DSLR for the price of the E-M5. Thus, you really need to put a high value on the smallness to consider it above average. Some of you will. I don't."

I'm always amazed (and annoyed) by people who completely overlook one of the prime objectives of the M43 concept. Size! Size matters! That is the sole reason for my conversion from DX to M43. I venture to guess that size and bulk (the lack of) is a prime reason for most M43 users. To say that one can have a DX camera for about the same price as the E-M5 is not the point. I have a Mini Cooper. I could have had a Mustang for not much more. The Mustang is faster and roomier. But That is not what I want! I want small, economical, and nimble. His implication that if you are going to spend $1000 on a M43 camera you might as well get a DX is missing the point. DX is not what I want!!!!!! I want small. I want light. I want compact system but with very high IQ. I don't have an E-M5 but I do have an E-PL5 and it is exactly what I want. To me it is a 5 star value. To give a camera a lower rating because you don't happen value the very concept behind the system is totally bogus.

Sorry for the rant but the continuous comparison of M43 to DX, to me, is ludicrous.

• Like Like x 4
  11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Having had a few cameras over the last 12 months including an EM5, X-Pro 1 and Sony A77 I totally agree on the sizing thing, when I had the EM5 it was in my bag everyday along with most of the kit (including a 100-300!) wheras the A77 and even to some point the X-Pro 1 got left in the house.

I did find that I needed the extra grip to make the EM5 comfortable for me to hold all the time but it was very easy to take with me.

I will admit I thought the X-Pro 1 IQ was slightly better but with the sensor size and much larger heft of both the body and lenses so it should be!

I got rid of my A77 last year although for Motorsport it was excellent and I believe that a full DSLR would be better for that with the better AF I'm leaning toward picking up another EM5 now as I'd rather have a good camera that I'm happy to take with me and make a few compromises than have a huge expensive bit of kit left in the house!

12. The comparison between it and a DSLR is more than just size, it's about capability. I would rate the additional functionality afforded by an optimised live view system to be just as big an advantage as the smaller physical size is. It's an apples and oranges comparison as far as I am concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can see your point too. If you want a capable smaller laptop you pay for it, whereas the larger ones generally come cheaper & the whole idea of M4/3's is to be small. Those that have to quote the larger format in pricing etc. obviously are finding it tough to accept the concept of small is better for a lot of situations or maybe they need a big camera because they are lacking somewhere else & are trying to compensate. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  14. billgreen

Apr 4, 2012
    Bill Green
    :rofl: :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    To be fair, he did note the small size advantage throughout the review. He noted that it mattered to some but not to him, diminishing his "value" rating. That's just fine by me because he explains his reasoning and notes that it's a matter of preference. There are many who will like the GH3 more precisely because it's bigger and they prefer the ergs of a larger body.

Of course, I have an E-PL5 so that indicates my preference.

16. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Not sure why you think it's ludicrous. :confused: He's just pointing out the (true) fact that at roughly the same price each system has strengths and weakness. The big plus for the E-M5 is it's size, the negative is that you give up some specific functionality.
    While you and I and most people on this forum understand that quite well, his intended audience is a lot broader than just m4/3 partisans. I think he's doing them a useful service by being explicit about the tradeoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  17. billgreen

Apr 4, 2012
    Bill Green
    But he gives the E-M5 a reduced rating for value because it accomplishes exactly what it is designed to accomplish.....he just doesn't value that attribute. He gives an apple a low rating because it doesn't taste like an orange. It seems a more appropriate statement would have been:

Small and compact is not my priority so personally I would consider a DSLR money better spent. However, people who invest in the M43 system are obviously concerned about size and weight. Based on that fact and the excellent E-M5 IQ I would rate it as a 5 star value.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I know what you're saying, but obviously Panasonic has made different decisions with the GH3. In addition, some folks bought this same sensor in the much larger Oly E-5. Oh well, the beauty of mu43 is the many choices we have.

19. psu_13

psu_13 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2013
    I'm not sure why we're beating this guy up over giving his *opinion* about a subjective attribute of the camera ("value"). I think Thom accurately lays out the tradeoffs you make with the E-M5 to get to a smaller camera (high ISO performance, lack of continuous focus tracking, some handling foibles, etc). I'm not sure what else you want.

He's clearly not a guy who is necessarily concerned withs size and weight as the most important aspect of a camera's value. So what? It's not like he is *lying* or something. It's a subjective rating. Everything else in the review is spot on. Just enjoy that.

• Like Like x 1
  20. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    He makes some good points but I'd say its a little late?

I've had my E-M5 since April...