OMD Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HNM43, Nov 27, 2012.

1. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
  2. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Wouldn't by definition an Olympus RF styled body NOT be called OM-D?

Rather an E-RC? or E-XA?
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Or "E-Fake Rangefinder Film Camera" (E-FRFC)
  4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I don't think the odds are very good for a Pen-style camera with a built-in VF. They had numerous opportunities to add a VF to the Pen, but demurred - they consider the OM-D to be their built-in VF line, not the Pen. Your best chance is for a lower-end OM-D model (still SLR-styled, but smaller and less expensive), although at this point the next update will probably be a higher-end OM-D or an E-P3 replacement, likely sometime in early 2013.
  5. amalric

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    Love the idea. Hope that Oly sees the light after Sony and Fuji and give us the works without the gibbosity.
  6. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm assuming they didn't slap the new sensor in the E-P3 and release it as a new camera for a reason. I just don't know what that reason is but I'm guessing that they want to do more than "just" a new sensor .. maybe there are some surprises coming down the pipe
  7. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    I do wonder, why does it take them so long to release the E-P5. I had a play on the Panasonic GX1 today, and it is so close, just need that EVF.

As for the high-end OMD, I'm not too sure what Olympus would add to make it higher then the current OMD. Overall I very happen with the current OMD, the only things that would be nice are (but not at the cost of increasing the size):

Best tracking focus
    Touch Focus on Video mode
    Focus point (instead of Square)
    Peaking for Still & Video

Well we will see what Olympus do next year, if not, I might just buy silver OMD for my wife.
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I would love an E-P5 that has EVF built-in and includes the 5-axis stabilization with the Sony sensor.

I would pay the $899 MSRP for that.
  9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is hard for me to imagine Olympus releasing a PEN with a built in viewfinder. There wouldn't be much separating the E-P5 and OM-D at that point, other than cosmetic styling.

I hope Panasonic or Olympus does deliver the rangefinder style product a lot of people are interested in, but I would be pretty happy with just the sensor upgrade in either the E-P3 or GX1 (would expect to see electronic/silent shutter on that one also).
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I would love to see Optical/Hybrid VF in the OM-D (with bright lines for different focal lengths. If Oly ever got the CAF working the hybrid finder would eliminate the need for a quicker EVF refresh rate. Don't know how that would work, but it could be designed like the old Nikon F, where you could remove the entire penta-prism/viewfinder and replace it with something different.

• Like Like x 1
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    It's funny that neither Olympus or Panasonic had released this camera. Both companies used an SLR-type body for the EVF model.
  12. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Although it's "old tech" now- I'd LOVE to have an R-D1

13. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    If it had the lens of the Olympus 35 LC I might be tempted :biggrin:
  14. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    CV needs a full frame digital bessa
    • Like Like x 1
  15. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    I wonder if they've experimenting with hybrid CDAF+PDAF, similar to Nikon 1 ..
  16. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I'd buy a digital version of the 35RC/SP if it was the same size as the original. Even if it only came with fixed (but sharp and fast) lens.
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
  18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Room for an Olympus RF body

I actually see a lot of scope for an RF body in the Olympus line up.

The main reason is that I believe that the current OMD design is a rather awkward compromise between a DSLR body and a RF body. Essentially the OMD without a grip is more like an RF body and with a grip it is similar to a DSLR design.

Now considering the size of lenses that have come out in the last year - 12-35 2.8, 60 2.8, 75 1.8 and 35-100 2.8 as well as those proposed - 40-150 2.8 (?), 150 2.8, Olympus does need a DSLR design type body. This is especially the case if the body can focus 4/3 lenses properly. So I suspect there is a good chance that future incarnations of the OMD will look very much like the OMD with horizantal grip attached, a more forward shutter button and probably larger battery.

That would suit a lot of people - basically all those OMD owners who keep their horizantal grip on most of the time. It would, however, leave room in the line up for a high end RF body for those that wanted to remain with a much smaller camera and probably stick to the smaller lenses. A redesigned EP3 with built in EVF would be nice.
  19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    It's certainly fun to speculate about a rangefinder-styled camera with a built-in EVF from Olympus or Panasonic. I'm certainly among those who want this kind of camera.

But, all of a sudden, I've decided to stop waiting. First, I actually ordered an E-PM2 during the Black Friday sales. Then, I cancelled the order before it shipped and looked at my camera collection. I have both the G3 and GX1... and even the E-PM1 (which may be about to be gifted to a relative).

The OM-D is a great camera and I'm sure the kind of camera we're all talking about would be fantastic as well. But the G3 and GX1 are firmly in "good enough" territory for me, whereas the G1, G2 and GF1 came up just a bit short for me.

Don't get me wrong, I want micro four thirds to keep progressing and getting better. And I most certainly want a rangefinder-styled camera with built-in EVF. But I'm no longer waiting for it. And if such a camera is introduced, I may just wait until prices drop on close-out 12-18 months later.

And if such a camera doesn't appear? I imagine prices will eventually be falling on the NEX6, X100 and even XE-1 as well.