1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD Problems with Panasonic 25mm

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Thunderbird010, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Thunderbird010

Thunderbird010 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Andy
    Took out the OMD with Panasonic 25mm today and got some good photos and some not so good where is was underexposing shots or i took a picture and just got a completely black screen.

Here are some examples, has anyone else come across this problem and if so what was it or am I doing something wrong. If I switched the camera off and on again it went away there was no rattlesnaking noise either.

[​IMG][/url] 192 by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG].

[​IMG][/url] 176 by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] 170 by Thunderbird_010, on Flickr[/IMG]

Just looked at the exif is it because i had matrix metering rather than centre spot?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the lens? Also, make sure not to push the lens release button when you're screwing on the lens. Black images usually mean the camera is losing communication with the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Andy,

There's a post on a similar issue:

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/high-shutter-speed-iso-dark-images-omd-30685/

GardenGirl13's issue was most apparent at high ISO's, but she was getting dark photos and black screens.

She ended up sending the OM-D back for replacement. I'm not certain that your issue is related, but you might want to read through GardenGirl13's thread.

I don't think matrix metering vs. center spot is the issue - if anything matrix metering would even out the exposure, not make it darker or completely black.

It may be a lens issue - can you test with other lenses under similar lighting conditions? If the issue is only apparent with the 25mm then there may be an issue with the aperture blades or electronics in that lens.

Just my 2 cents worth, I imagine those that have more knowledge than I will chime in.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  4. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    You might also test the lens on a different body, and test a different lens on that body.

• Like Like x 1
  5. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    I had this happen to me many times yesterday while at Disney CA Adventure. I thought I was doing something wrong since It was my first time using the OMD outside..

I'm gonna replicate it and post, I had my Nikon with me too and those came out good.

6. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Weird I have yet to see this behavior. Any luck in M mode?

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    and with the same lens as well

8. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    might be a problem or not. but i love the first two images! (just chime in to say that!)

9. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    not hi jacking thread, adding to it.

nikon 5100 vs omd exposure

nikon 1/4000 ... f/5. iso 200

omd 1/3200 .. f/5 .. iso 200
    (i thought i had them both @ 1/4000, but regardless its completely black)

10. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    omd 1.8/3200/200

nikon 1.8 / 3200 / 200

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Glad your E-M5 is not as dead as you thought it was. Can you attach and/or embed the files with EXIF data intact?

12. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Yeah.. bad memory card screwed everything up...

Re: attaching wih exif..How do i do that.. the only way i know is to link via flickr

13. moschika

moschika Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2012
    i get the black screen about once every 500 or so snaps. never thought it could be a memory card issue. it's a kind of annoying but i'm enjoying the camera so much that it doesn't really bother me. but i wonder if it is a bad memory card. how did you surmise that?

14. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    The problem here is not a memory card issue. The above poster had an unrelated problem with his camera that was caused by the memory card

15. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Best way to do it is to give us a clickable flickr url to the photo uploaded wihout any editing straight out the camera. And make sure your flickr privacy settings are not set to hide exif data.

16. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    dont know how to make the picture clickable, but here is the link to my flickr acct.

Flickr: thhbanhmi's Photostream

all pics SOOC, obviously these are not pictures i took to show technical perfection, but strictly to show whats going on.

17. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    i can replicate 1 in 5 times..

obviously with my luck of OMD's lately, i'm not sure i'm gonna be sticking with this model.

and once again, i hope i'm just an idiot and just doing something wrong.. but proof is in the pudding, and i made sure the 1/4000 indicator was not blinking

18. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    you guys try resetting your camera back to factory settings and see if it still happens ?

almost seems like some kinda exp compensation or something else ?

19. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    yes did that this morning..

i noticed this happening yesterday.

20. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Mine has this problem too. I was in the process of relocating to another country when I noticed this problem and was reluctant to send it in for a ~2 weeks turnaround time.

Funny that the US Olympus tech support guy I talked to has never heard of this problem... His first instructions over the phone were to reset to factory setting. I was quite annoyed by that but had no option but to reset it. Of course the problem remained and I had to re-configure the camera from scratch..........

Still settling down before sending it in... argh.