OMD , PEN & TG Camera Updates - JUNE 2013

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I was kind of excited when I saw your link, but looks like Olympus is not going to upgrade any new features to current OMD owners.

Firmware update 1.7 =Supported VF-4 electronic view finder and Automatic display switching by the eye sensor is not supported.

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I know, I was the same as you. But we'll never know what goes apart from what is told. You know with fuji is the same thing, they say the updates do A, but underneath it also does B and C. Might be the same with this guys, but I agree with you, Olympus should keep updating its now "previous" or even worse, still flagship cameras with any improvements. Im not asking them to replace the sensor or anything that could affect them economically but little tweaks here and there, right?. anyway...

4. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    As someone said it already Olympus only updates that which helps them sell their new devices (or bugs). Other than that we'd need to look for a hack or something in order to unlock things like focus peaking or better video. I mean it doesn't take much to emprove/rewrite a video codec or add 24p/25p mode. Olympus, what's wrong with you?

5. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I remember few months ago Canon did a big firmware update for 7D, 7D came out in 2009, why don't Olympus do better for their shooters? well; many long time Olympus forum members said Olympus won't do any feature upgrade, only update/solve existing problems.

I guess there is no perfect camera or no perfect camera company.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I will update my firmware on the OMD but as stated above, on the face of it we appear to not be getting anything really exciting unless you have the remore EVF.

I would like to think we will get more underlying positive changes though.

If anyone discovers anything exciting from this update, please let us all know.

7. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I agree, I was excited to see a firmware update, only to be dissapointed by the fact officially it does nothing at all. Seriously, how many E-M5 shooters will attach an EVF to their camera other than for fun ? I bet some people will, but to have dedicated a "workforce" for an (IMHO) insignificant fraction of the users seems ridiculous granted there is nothing else that would benefit the majority of the users.