1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD over G3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Vincen77o, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    Yes, I know it's the current argument kind of thing, but I've got the chance of getting an OMD to possibly replace or go alongside my G3. I hear stories about poor workmanship on the Oly, but its abilities are very sexy. If I search IBIS I don't get very good answers, is this a lens combined stability system? I use a few Adapted lenses, I assume these wouldn't benefit from IBIS.
    I've also just thrown some hard earned cash at an Indian built (that's Indian as in Asia peeps) support system.
    DV DSLR Hands Free Shoulder Support Mount Rig for video movie wedding camera | eBay
    I'll let you know how that works out.

2. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Ibis = in body image stabilization
    As of the latest firmware (v1.5) it works with all lenses, including manual ones even in video mode :)

3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    If your lens has IS, you need to turn one off - having both Body stabilisation & Lens stabilisation on is a BAD idea.

If your lens has no IS, then the only camera option is Oly, or no IS.

4. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The G3 has one big advantage over the EM-5, $600 or so dollars.:)

5. Vincen77o

Vincen77o Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2012
    St. Albans, Herts
    I suddenly feel my wallet getting slimmer.

6. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Just when you thought she couldn't be any sexier...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chronos

Chronos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Chris
    The cap of the rear dial MIGHT pop off if you are unlucky. And there is an issue with a hairline crack in the bottom of the OLED bezel.

That said, I don't think there are any issues with poor workmanship with the OMD. Just a couple minor manufacturing errors. From my perspective these are extremely minor details they do not affect performance whatsoever.

It is not as if the lens mount comes loose, the sides are misaligned, or that the tripod threads strip. It does not bend, flex, or show any other indications of poor workmanship. The rest of the camera feels very solid and well built, and I have no doubt it will survive plenty of abuse.

If i had known of these issues before buying the OMD, i would still not have hesitated to buy one.

:2thumbs:

8. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I love the EM5 and it is killer, but panny has some advantages too. The G3 has built in lens correction so if your using the panny lenses you will be able to notice the difference. also I got a lot of banding even at base iso with all sorts of lenses. The EM5 has better dynamic range than my GX1(same sensor as G3) and the jpegs are outstanding minus the points I mentioned earlier.

9. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Hey, Kelly, you saw OM-D banding in lenses besides the 20/1.7? I would be curious to know what others are susceptible.

I am only using primes (with exception of 12-35), but have only seen it a few times on the 20/1.7, and only on images that maybe were slightly underexposed and then pushed hard in PP (I use Nik)

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I got it with the 7-14 and the 25/1.4 even at iso 160. It is a stellar camera despite this.

11. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I can't speak for other's experience of "poor workmanship" on their OMD, but mine was put together well. I lost an eyecup, because they can come off more easily than they should, but that doesn't qualify for the the appellation of poor workmanship in my book.

The 5 axis in body image stablization is superb. I just shot my OM 135mm f3.5 down to 1/30 second with good results. Coming from the reciprocal of the focal length school of recommended shutter speeds, that seems downright miraculous to me.