Omd or 60d?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by barrytea, Jun 23, 2012.

1. barrytea

barrytea New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2012
    Hi all, i am new to this forum and currently owning a canon 60d. My main reason for photo shooting is on my family, particularly my new born baby.
    However the camera become a "home" camera after my baby born. I just have too many things to carry and have to give up the bulky 60d when going out.
    Here i am, explored and found the OMD!

Can anyone give me some advise on the ISO 3200 performance comparison? As i cant use flash to baby. And is the auto focus fast enough to catch baby motion?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    To put it bluntly, the E-M5 is leagues ahead of the 60D.

Do a comparative test for yourself: Olympus OM-D E-M5 Review: Digital Photography Review

Personally though, I would invest in a faster lens over bumping up the ISO. However, if this is the way you've been doing it up until now, then you'll still have much better capabilities with the E-M5.

Again, if you're using native lenses then it's leagues ahead of your 60D. It's also more accurate, and doesn't require tuning for front focus or back focus.
  3. barrytea

barrytea New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks Ned, the reason why i need to bump ISO is for night time in-door shooting while not having flash(not good for baby eye). I am already using 17-55 f2.8 wide open but cant avoid high ISO due to low light.

Baby shooting is sometimes harder than bird shooting! Due to the unexpected movement!!!
  4. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    If you think baby movement is hard to focus, wait till they grow up to a few years old running around, then you will know it's even harder. In that case the 60D tracking AF will be better than O-MD.
  5. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    Omd is my choice ,I don't have one but I would certainly go that way in your shoes.
  6. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    A friend of mine shoots with Canon gear, he bought the 50 f1.4 for exactly your purpose. Got some really nice shots of his little lad.
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Some things to consider about flash and infant's eyes: The sun is considerably brighter than any flash and babies don't go blind if the sun gets in their eyes. Once the ISO is set to 800 or higher, a flash doesn't have to put out much light for a good exposure. It isn't like shooting at ISO 100 @ f11.

Really neither me or my two boys (27 & 19) have gone blind, or had eye problems due to flash being used when we were babies.
  8. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Saying that the em-5 is leagues ahead of the 60d when it comes to ISO performance without considering whether the OP uses strictly JPEG or raw, in my opinion, is just plain fanboyism, specially if one has not used both at the same time.

I have both and I can honestly say that they are pretty close, maybe a little bit better on the em-5. I shoot raw all the time and they both clean up pretty well in lightroom.

Straight-up jpeg, as already posted by other members here, em-5 just thrashes the 60d, what with its newer processor and processing engine. It is also easier to focus on fairly stationary subjects.

You are gonna have a hard time selling your 60d though, specially if you're not willing to cut the price on it significantly. I know because that's where I'm in now.
  9. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I think we can all agree the E-M5 will fit the bill nicely from a photo quality standpoint, so really that part of it is a non-issue. But your other point about wanting to downsize your gear? That is the real thing we should talk about. As a father of twin 7 year olds, I went down that road with the Canon 5D marks 1 & 2. I can attest that having less to carry at all times is paramount. So, if you can get away with the same or better photo gear in a much smaller load you just have to do that. You only have so many arms. I can't begin to tell you how much I wish the E-M5 (or something like it) was around 7 years ago!

Since babies don't move around very fast (yet!), the m4/3 normal primes are awesome to have on your camera because the focal length is perfect for those close-in shots, and they work so well in low-lighting situations. Keeping the theme of small load-size normally I'd recommend the panny 20mm lens, but in your case (lower light-higher ISO) that wouldn't work because of the well publicised and very real banding problem with that lens on the E-M5 in those conditions*. Therefore, probably the more expensive pana-leica 25mm would better suit your photographic concerns. It is bigger than the 20, but still much smaller/lighter than equivalent lenses for your Canon. It is very fast & works extremely well in low light, you'd probably not need to dip into those higher ISO's you asked about very often.

The great news for you is that you are getting into m4/3 at the perfect time. The lens family is really starting to take shape, with many excellent choices to pick from. And it is maturing quickly with faster zooms and third-party manufacturers jumping on board with serious contributions. The format will continue to grow up right along with your family. How cool is that?

*Olympus is evidently trying to come up with a firmware fix for this, so don't cross it off your list just yet
  10. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    you can purchase one of the diffusers too for your flash. I purchased a Gary Fong type diffuser and used it when photographing my first grandchild. I would highly recommend the Omd to you too....fantastic camera in low light situations.
  11. barrytea

barrytea New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2012
    Thanks a lot everyone, didnt expect to have such a great response/advise for a newbie like me!
    Yea bitman i am planning to downsize my gear. I notice a lot of your great pics! But didnt know you have twins! Your burden on gear must be twice as much as i am!
    If i am going to OMD i will get the kit lens and 45 1.8 first! The lens are a lot cheaper than those L lens... 35 1.4? 85 1.4? That hell a lot of money! The only thing i am considering is the price of omd body! Thats cost just like another DsLR body!
    How are you finding while shooting running kids?
  12. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    I've had both.

I had the 60D and a 7D and I sold both, not to get the E-M5 though, but to go FF. I did sell the E-P3 to get the E-M5. I like my E-M5:)

I also have children but I went through the baby stage with film with no regrets regarding digital. My favorite shot is my daughter banging her feet against a wall, her feet are blurred but her face is tack sharp - shot with a Contax and 400 speed film.

With that said, I would ask you how you like your 60D. If you're comfortable working with it, I would go with the above suggestion to try the 50/1.4. IBIS doesn't do you any good when they little kid moves but a fast lens does. Working close with the center point on a 60d with a 50/1.4 is pretty quick. If you're not, well you know the answer.

Sometimes all the pixel peeping doesn't mean squat when you have to get down to the nitty gritty of making that shot that WILL NOT repeat itself.

More importantly, you more than anyone else is going to learn/understand the movements of your kid, how she/he is growing and responds to the parents and the surroundings. Don't expect the camera to do it for you - it's up to you. You have to learn to work it into the whole experience of your child's growth without it becoming an obstacle to your experience. For me the gear is secondary, your perspective is most important and you will know that better than anyone else (and it will make you very happy).

Good luck!
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  14. barrytea

barrytea New to Mu-43

Jun 23, 2012
    Great Photos!

Mind to tell which lens and any post-shooting process?
  15. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    You're very welcome. And congratulations, by-the-way, on your new family addition.

The 45 will serve you very well for running kid photos. Can't be beat, really. The focus on it is lightning-quick. It is my most used lens. Not the most fun- that would be the Oly 12mm, but the 45 is a close runner-up.
  16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Panasonic 100-300 (@201mm) - f/8 - 1/350

RAW File converted in Aperture and polished in CS5.

17. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why shouldn't it? Based on specs and performance there is no reason it should be any cheaper than a camera like the 60D.
  18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You seem to think that JPGs come from something other than RAW. They don't.
  19. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Doesn't mean that a half-competent processing job of that RAW in Lightroom won't give better results than either camera can do with JPEGs directly, or that the 60D benefits more from switching to RAW.

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    Plus, if indoors, it is best to bounce the flash off the ceiling for even lighting.