1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD on it's way

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gotak, Dec 3, 2012.

1. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Ordered during the Canadian black friday (thank Mr. Harper for the extra tax allowance for travelers) which for the first time means we actually get things same or in this case cheaper priced than the US. The shipping confirmations came in today.

Got the kit with 12-50. And meeting up with a local seller for a 25 1.4 tomorrow. Everything should be in place by end of the week. Which is great cause with the way work's been I need some "shutter therapy" as a fellow engineer in Malaysia says. Well that and a bit of new toy therapy lol...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Congratulations!

The kit lens is a terrific lens...for taking a photo of the 25mm...:rofl:

(Kidding, the kit lens can make wonderful images in the right hands).

Now your week is going to draaaaaaaaaaaag until Friday.

:thumbup:

Regards,

Jim

3. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    I am at home, just had dinner, the wife's researching paediatricians and I am login to work diagnosing (try to anyhow) why one chip works and another doesn't. Yep it's going to feel like a loooong week...

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

5. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I'm envious. I have a few things to sell before the CFO will let me buy an em5. Hopefully CraigsList will come through for me in the next day or two.

6. multicamo

multicamo New to Mu-43

Oct 30, 2012
    Just placed my order for one though the site vendor can't wait!!

7. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I picked up the same kit from Henry's for $1050 CAN. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

8. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Remember

Charge the battery fully before using it!

Read the recommended E-M5 settings at dPreview.com

Read the manual.

Think of what settings matter most and save them to a myset and then set up a couple more mysets for other situations.

Simplify the interface as much as possible ie: disable the auto EVF switch and the arrow keys from their defaults so they don't change when you bump them.

Your preparation and understanding of the initial setup will determine your happiness with the camera on a day to day basis.

But you probably already knew all of this! :smile:

9. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Tested it a bit around the house.

Only 2 things I don't like so far.

Once I set the AF box size it doesn't stick. From google it seems to be a common complain.

There should be more buttons. Quite used to being able to set all the important settings without my eye leaving the VF and with minimal button push and wheel twirls on the 7D. The OMD isn't bad but could do with 1 or 2 more fn button without losing the arrows for moving AF around around. Maybe just need to get used to it..

10. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I've just ordered my OMD from BHPhoto and its been shipped. Hopefully will be here next week.

11. Ross the fiddler

That's why you are better off programming the four way buttons to direct functions & the left goes to your focus point selection, which first requires that to be pressed once before any of the four buttons can change the position of the focus point (as well as the wheels changing it). This also gives you 2 extra function button (down V & right >) & I use these for drive mode & ISO respectively.

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yep, a number of folks have commented on that.

But ya start running out of real estate pretty quickly on a camera body of this size. It's not like you can make the existing controls smaller to make some room :biggrin:.

I've found having the Super Control Panel enabled helps quite a bit; not as handy as a dial/button, but better than having to dig through the menus.

Another thing that bugs me is not being able to label "MySets"; on the Nikon D300 the customized shooting menus can be named ("Sports", "Portraits", etc.). Seems like a simple programming chore to me, but maybe not.

From the D300 I gave up top panel LCD and control buttons and fast focusing in constant focus mode; from the EM-5 I've gained advantages in size, weight, and the cost of lenses.

Give your OM-D a little time, I think you'll find the compromises made in the design work fairly well.

Regards,

Jim

13. Ross the fiddler

The other advantage with this camera having touch control, the SCP only needs to be touched in the desired box & the front wheel rotated to change the values/settings.

14. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Ordered mine last night... should get here probably Tuesday or Wendesday next week! Can't wait... I'm very impressed with the images people have posted from this camera. I think it will fit my photographic needs pretty well.

15. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Toronto
    Used it a bit. That Pana 25 f1.4 is pretty nice. I haven't used the kit lens much wondering if I should have just gotten body only and a few primes. Still I just haven't had the chance to be out in the rain or snow yet.

My coworker trying (as he usually does, find the most ridiculous way to do something asked) to come to my cube by climbing over the walls.
    8250776159_1d704e6cac_b.