1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD Noise? + build impression

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MexicoMik, Aug 17, 2012.

1. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I know this has to have been covered but I tried searching for "noise" and for "OMD noise" and nothing showed up.

Just got the OMD a couple of days ago and am wondering what the noise from the camera is that sounds like a small disc-drive running. If this has been discussed, please point me to a thread.

Overall, I'm impressed with the OMD though the build quality is not quite what I was expecting based on previous reports. The EP3 has a more "solid" feel IMO.

I didn't realize that the D actually came with a small flash - the lack of a built-in flash was one of my concerns re the camera. But the little flash does what it needs to - much better than the built-in on the '3 and it's small enough to just stay permanently on the camera.

I am hoping this is my "last" camera...but I said that about every camera I've purchased over the last 20+ years... :)

2. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    It's the IBIS that's humming. Consider it as a feature ;-)

3. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Sorry. Means In Body Image Stabilization

4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
  5. It was only just yesterday that I noticed the hum again for the first time in at least a month or two. It seems funny now to think that it was such a big issue when the camera was first released.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    It's the camera, purring in your hands, waiting to be used.

What else could it be?

:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. LoNePeAcE

LoNePeAcE Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012
    I never noticed the humming unless I put my ear right on the camera in a quiet room. So it really doesn't bothers me!~ :)

8. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    You have good ears. In that sense :smile:

9. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Build quality?

I'm surprised by your build quality comment, really. The E-M5 is just a brick and has been demonstrated (someone else's camera, not mine,... yet) to be pretty durable. In fact, if anything it's a little too heavy (off balance or something) when you put the 40-150 on it for casual carrying. The grip is a good fix for that, however. Substantial build quality improvement from my prior Pen as it's all metal.

10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I find the build quality very solid...and much heavier than I was expecting.

Also, the noise was such an overblown reaction on the forums it's mind-boggling...I sometimes make a point of listening for it next time I use the camera, but always forget because to my ears, it's virtually inaudible.

11. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris

I'm thinking it is just really really quiet in their mother's basements? :wink: :rofl:

I'm surprised their can hear it over their rattlesnaking lenses, and furious keyboarding. :wink: :rofl:

/sarcasm

12. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Re rattlesnaking -

A few days ago I was on a flight to Texas. The guy in the window seat was taking pics out the window and the lens was rattling loud enough to easily hear in the plane as we were descending. I asked him what was making all the noise and he said it was the lens which, upon asking, turned out to be the Panny 25 on an OLY EP2.

I don't personally have any need for a 50mm (equiv) prime lens but I have to say that if I did, there is NO WAY I could put up with that noise. Based on other posts it seems that the noise level varies considerably but that particular example was LOUD.