OMD mark 2: when and what developments?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mf100, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I'm wondering when the OMD mark 2 will be released and what developments over the current model it'll have. Any thoughts?

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I don't think you will see an OM-D replacement anytime soon. However, there were rumors of a higher end pro-grade model in development. What that means is anybody's guess.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Dunno but what ever it is, I hope that I can use my regular 4/3 lenses on it, and have it focus quickly.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's still the talk about a FourThirds camera being developed...maybe it will be a hybrid, E-5 sized OM-D but with phase detection focus.

5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've been told by an Olympus Rep that the next OM-D to expect is the E-M3, a replacement for the E-P3 that's scheduled to go out of production at the end of 2012. They're still pretty happy with the E-M5 sales, so there's no major changes expected there in 2013.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I sincerely hope Olympus isn't going to commit financial and marketing suicide by sticking around a dead format such as Four Thirds.

The best deal would be to provide current FT users with a decent way of using the more expensive and optically excelent HG and SHG lenses. This could be a Sony-like adaptor (with pellicle mirror + PD sensors). OTOH, on-sensor PD-AF is just around the corner for :43:.

Whatever happens I think speaking of a "OM-D replecement" is not the best way to put it. There will be a high-end version, probably in the OM line as well as (I believe) a more economical toned-down version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.