OMD mark 2: when and what developments?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mf100, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    I'm wondering when the OMD mark 2 will be released and what developments over the current model it'll have. Any thoughts?
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I don't think you will see an OM-D replacement anytime soon. However, there were rumors of a higher end pro-grade model in development. What that means is anybody's guess.
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Dunno but what ever it is, I hope that I can use my regular 4/3 lenses on it, and have it focus quickly.
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    There's still the talk about a FourThirds camera being developed...maybe it will be a hybrid, E-5 sized OM-D but with phase detection focus.
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I've been told by an Olympus Rep that the next OM-D to expect is the E-M3, a replacement for the E-P3 that's scheduled to go out of production at the end of 2012. They're still pretty happy with the E-M5 sales, so there's no major changes expected there in 2013.
  6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I sincerely hope Olympus isn't going to commit financial and marketing suicide by sticking around a dead format such as Four Thirds.

The best deal would be to provide current FT users with a decent way of using the more expensive and optically excelent HG and SHG lenses. This could be a Sony-like adaptor (with pellicle mirror + PD sensors). OTOH, on-sensor PD-AF is just around the corner for :43:.

Whatever happens I think speaking of a "OM-D replecement" is not the best way to put it. There will be a high-end version, probably in the OM line as well as (I believe) a more economical toned-down version.