OMD locked shutter

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Rusty S., Sep 16, 2012.

1. Rusty S.

Rusty S. New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    HI, i'm a new omd owner and have purchased a 20mm Panasonic lens.
    I have found sometimes the camera won't let me take a shot. The viewfinder/screen shows grey with no shutter response. It then gives me the message 'remove usb'
    It sometimes clears when shutter is depressed, sometimes not. If I put on the kit lens , it functions normally. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Kind regards Russ.
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    You may be suffering the 20mm lumix lock up issue that occurs with the E-M5. I no longer use a 20, and the E-M5 has a lot to do with that. The 20 is also known to cause banding with the E-M5. I can't sayfr certain as I have not seen the USB message before, simply that the cam locks up, and the battery has to be removed in order to get to to work again. The 20 does sound to be the offender f your other native lens is working correctly.. You my want to contact Olympus. Good luck, hopefully service will deal with it speedily.
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    To be fair, I believe the 20mm has worked well on every μ4/3 body going back to the beginning of the format. The culprit is the E-M5. Olympus chooses not to fix their problem. Result for most people: retire the 20mm to gain the advantages of the E-M5. Good decision - but don't blame the 20!
  4. Rusty S.

Rusty S. New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    That's what I was afraid of!
    Appreciate your reply Chuck.
    cheers Russ
  5. Rusty S.

Rusty S. New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2012
    Nice one, thanks.
  6. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012

Russ, I am afraid I learned a lot from this thread as I was unaware of this issue and would not expect any feedback from Olympus or Panasonic.

Although the promise of the 4/3rd system was a universal lens mount, I am sure electronically speaking there may be issues that manufacturers will not address when it involves another companies product.

From past experience, 3rd party lens manufacturers have had to issue firmware updates to make their lens work on newer DSLR bodies. Since both manufacturers make bodies and lenses, I doubt a fix if forthcoming.