OMD Limitations?

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by dornblaser, Aug 16, 2012.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I want to dabble in making short videos. I was considering getting a camcorder but decided to start out with my m43's gear. I was wondering what the limitations of OMD's video are? If I enjoy video making I would probably add a GH2 (or 3) down the road. For post I have Adobe's CS6 suite but I am not opposed to picking up FCPX. Other than personal preference, does one software work better with my gear? Thanks in advance.

2. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Like all CMOS sensor cameras, it suffers from rolling shutter effect (distortions with fast horizontal panning, or with fast lateral subject movement), but less so than prior Olympus models.

1080/60 resolution is only 1080/60i resolution (ie, 30 fps). True 60p is only available at 720 resolution.

No 24p mode for film look. In fact, the available resolution/framerate combinations are pretty limited compared to say the GH2.

But, 5-axis IBIS still gives it an overwhelming edge on most digicams. And recording direct to .MOV radically simplifies importing into video editors.

At the moment, the GH2 still offers better video quality if stabilized on a pan head (alas, with Panasonic colors), better ergonomics, and true 1080/60p and 1080/24p capture. I bought the OM-D for still work, but the GH2 is still the favored m4/3 body for HD video.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I thought that IBIS does not work in video mode? My current plan is use the Oly to learn on and then pick up an GH2 or 3 later on this year.

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    It works in video mode, just not with legacy lenses or any lens that doesn't have non-electrical contacts.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    This limitation is often criticized, but the IBIS would be pretty sucky with an unlinked zoom lens... since FL is used to calculate compensation movement. Still, it would be nice to be able to film with legacy primes. Or hell, even the MFT Voigtlanders!

• Like Like x 1
  6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Oh, I have the 25mm in my B&H wish list .........

7. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    From my experience, detail breakdown with fast motion, mud, and a wobbling image with wider shots using wider focal lengths which is obviously caused by the stabilization system. The IBIS makes up for some of the shortcomings though. Too bad they couldn't right the video-ship the first time around.

8. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would appreciate it if you could point me to some Vimeo videos, commercials, shorts, etc., that if not shot on m4/3's system could have been. Links to blogs, forums, etc., for the indie film-maker would also be appreciated.

Thanks,
    David

9. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  10. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks Kevin, I will.

11. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    I'm not really a camera guy (I'm an editor) but this is something I shot on the (unhacked) GH2 + 20/1.7 + 45/2.8 a while back:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_Kt0xbcZM&hd=1]Zimride: How It Works - YouTube[/ame]

I'd definitely recommend the GH2 over the OM-D for more frame rate choices and better video codec (less blocky compression), but if you're just making home movies or videos for youtube these differences might not be a deal breaker for you. And the OM-D has a slightly better sensor and is overall better for still photography.

12. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would like to be able to do more than youtube stuff. I have already decided to look at the GH3 when it is released next month. I have a decent selection of primes, albeit Oly biased. I have been taking notes, etc., for too potential first projects. Lots to learn!

13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am wondering if a firmware upgrade can make the OMD a better video performer or if the issues require a physical upgrade?

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I think the question is largely academic. Nobody has successfully hacked any Olympus m4/3 camera, and Olympus has a very thin history (i.e. basically none) of improving non-essential features through firmware updates.

DH

15. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for the reply. The GH3 is still on my wish list. :rolleyes:

16. Razor777

Razor777 New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Hampshire (UK)
    Mark