1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD lens question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SteveBeck, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Forst of all, Hello everyone!

I am a Nikon Shooter. My local camera store just got a Silver body in today. I really really like the looks of this camera and it seems to be packed full of features.

I am really in need of a decent all around lens. I have many nice primes that my D800 is happy with when I do portrait work.

I am kind of digging the 12-50 and possibly the 75-300.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    A nice all-around lens would be the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux. You're already used to primes. You might also consider the Lumix 20mm f/1.7 pancake for a smaller (and more affordable) package. You say you do portrait work, so for that the ideal lens would be the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8.

The Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8 is looking pretty good, but it's not readily available yet. I'm sure you want a lens sooner rather than later. ;)

3. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    Appreciate the response. I snot using this for any type of work. it is simply for me to carry around with me when I don't want to carry around my 87lbs pelican box of bodies and lens's. More a thing for me to use for my own amusement so to speak and not and of my paying gigs.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Then stick with the Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux. That will give you a more well-rounded focal length for everyday use if you're gonna stick with one lens, but will still offer you great optical quality and performance.

5. TDP

TDP Guest

As a wider option, check out the Olympus 12mm.

6. Pokemon

Pokemon Mu-43 Rookie

May 26, 2012
    Does the zuiko 45mm need an adapter to use on the em-5?

7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 is native μ4/3; no adapter needed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Nope. It's a native m4/3 lens, and a very nice one too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

no

it's a native oly lens.
    Dave

10. daveinamblerpa

daveinamblerpa Mu-43 Regular

12 -50

The 12 to 50 is a very decent walk around kit. Sharp macro, great range, and weather proof. Though it is slow (6.3) at the long end its better than other kit lens at 50mm because they don't go to 50:smile: There is a thread on dpreview about this lens . Conclusion compared to other zooms in the system you wouldn't notice the difference in image quality.

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  11. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I like the 14-150 if you just want a nice, simple, do-everything setup. I now carry that combo and sometimes stick the 12mm in a pocket for a wider angle/lower light capability. I can't tell any difference in the full-sized shots from that zoom or my Oly 45 (which is a great lens that I never use) with the same image size UNLESS you crop the images 100%.

12. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    The 12-50 is a terrific option for a general purpose lens. Others have noted the great focal length range, macro, weather sealing and video suitability. Even the bokeh quality isn't too shabby.

It's slow aperture is it's only real weakness so for heavily blurred backgrounds you would want something else.

Can I recommend to you, this thread of images taken with the 12-50:

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-ez-image-thread-24326/