omd lcd grey border

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sirjack, Dec 20, 2012.

1. sirjack

sirjack New to Mu-43

Dec 20, 2012
    Hi, new to forum and OMD , got a quick question about the LCD.I realise that the LCD having a 3:2 aspect ratio means that I will see a border when shooting 4:3 shots, but mine seems excessively grey in colour and really stands out. Before buying online I checked one out in a shop and I'm sure the border was darker and thus didn't stand out as much. Any feedback much appreciated as I don't want to return to Amazon unless I'm sure its faulty
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    turning up the brightness on the lcd will likely make it a lighter shade, did you do that in the menu options?
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    At least with the latest firmware, the borders will normally be gray, but when the "Info Off" timer is reached the screen dims and the borders go dark gray...when you tap a button the screen brightens and the borders go lighter gray again.

I can't remember if it did that with the older firmware (which is what the store camera may have had.
  4. sirjack

sirjack New to Mu-43

Dec 20, 2012
    I've tried adjusting brightness setting and it makes very little difference. Suppose due to the display being oled I wasnt expecting border to stand out so much which it didn't seem to in the shop (appreciate different light conditions). Suppose I could shoot in 3:2 aspect if I find the border too distracting for composition but that has its draw backs.
    Thanks for the feedback