1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD LCD/EVF brown lines.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Oct 26, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Hi, hoping someone has seen this before.
    I just started seeing some brown type lines across the lcd, while I was playing around with it tonight.

I had my PL25mm on. and the lines were quite large at times then small.
    thinking it was the len I put on my oly45mm got the same but maybe less bright lines I then tried my kit 14-42mm and got them again.when it tries to focus is when they appeared the most. usually two lines but sometimes one
    at the bottom or the top. I then looked in the EVF and they were there too.

Then I left work got home 40mins later got the camera out again and they were all but gone. but If I point it at a light source they can be seen again.

Prior to this I have noticed a slight flicker everynow and then in the LCD,
    but just thought that was normal. not sure now. the lines are brownish in colour usually transparent-ish, and fading at the edges, they can be quite wide. I have no other camera to take snaps of it.

has anyone seen or heard of this?
    or does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Edit.. I just went into another room with fluorescent lights, similar to what I have at work and bang there they are
    Never seen them before and have used this camera at work many times. guess something is wrong. They are not really showing up in
    the images. I think there is a slight dis-colouration in those areas where the lines appear.

cheers

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Take a photo under lighting where you can see the lines and see if they show in the photo.

You can get funny things showing at times with fluorescents, or with TV screens, because of the refresh rate of the light/screen and the refresh on the camera's display being out of sync with each other. If that's what's happening the lines aren't going to show in the photo, they're just a function of how the display works with light sources that aren't constant but which are always refreshing themselves. That isn't a fault, it's just the way these displays work since they also are constantly refreshing themselves.

You also mention a discolouration in the areas where the lines appear. Is that discolouration there under daylight conditions? If not I suspect it's the same thing.