OMD Killer ? GH3? No ..Its EPL5 :)

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
I think most people will choose EPL5 over OMD as a back-up body/camera.

I would.

Me too!

I have been waiting to decide on a new camera to use as second body to my E-M5, one that is more compact than the E-M5, but uses the same sensor. I think it is just too bulky to carry 2 E-M5 bodies around. Both the E-PL5 and the E-PM2 fits the bill, but the E-PL5 has a slight edge currently because of the tilt sceen.

Ideally, I'd have liked a Panasonic camera as a second body, since I am now convinced that some of the Panasonic lenses, particularly the 7-14mm, works better with Panasonic bodies. Unfortunately, Panasonic hasn't yet come up with a m4/3 camera that has the latest sensor, a tilt screen, and a smaller body than the E-M5.

I will now have to wait for some test results on the E-PL5/E-PM2 coupled with the 7-14mm to see if they have the same ghastly purple glass reflection in high contrast photos like using the lens on the E-M5... If they don't I will definitely be getting one of them as a second body!

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Is it just me or is there no body-only option for the E-PL5? I see one for the E-PM2 anywhere...

I don't think a person should have to buy another kit lens just to get a tilting screen and a couple more buttons.

EJV

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Ed Vaccaro
OM-D was what I waited for

When I bought my first M4/3 camera, the E-PL1, I found myself wishing for an integrated viewfinder, better image quality, and fast lenses. In short, I wanted a DSLR in a small form factor.

When I first saw the OM-D, I was hooked. I read every review. I did all the research I could and as soon as I could find one, I bought it. It reminded me of my dad's OM-2 that he loved. The OM-D is a great camera. It has all the features I want. The viewfinder makes the difference as it is a more natural way of shooting for me. I never felt completely comfortable with E-PL1's live view only.

Now that the E-PL5 is available, would I change my mind? Not a chance. The OM-D is a halo product for Olympus. By pushing the sensor into the lower level cameras they have created a link to a top of the line product that raises both the real and perceived quality of the entire line.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For me I NEVER considered a PEN or ANY M4/3 body. I had been using SLRs since I was 11. It wasn't until the E-M5 came along did I find an M4/3 I actually liked. If it wasn't for the E-M5 I may have gotten an E-6xx eventually.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
Now that the E-PL5 is available, would I change my mind? Not a chance. The OM-D is a halo product for Olympus. By pushing the sensor into the lower level cameras they have created a link to a top of the line product that raises both the real and perceived quality of the entire line.

I wouldn't trade my OM-D for a PEN any day, but I would definitely consider one of these as an add on, perhaps in another year or so when my budget has recovered from the OM-D purchase.

littleMT

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Lucille Sanchez
When I bought my first M4/3 camera, the E-PL1, I found myself wishing for an integrated viewfinder, better image quality,

Yeah, the image quality is really lacking on that old E-PL1.

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Controls, controls, controls.

If you want portability -- EPL5.

If you want control (plus the other items) -- OMD

My thoughts exactly! I love how the E-M5 has the two dials - one for aperture and one for shutter speed - much better than using buttons. If you never go manual then this doesn't matter to you but if you do use manual even a little bit it is so much easier to use dials than buttons. This feature was one of the first things that grabbed my attention and why I plan on getting an E-M5 as soon as the price comes down a little bit{or I find a good deal on a used one}.

If you have not heard yet it seems Olympus will be making an E-P5! Toshiyuki Terada from Olympus confirmed that there will be an E-P3 successor. He states that "the new camera will be very different." One rumor about it is that it will have a built in EVF. I would suggest it might also have the 5 axis IS.

Olympus: There will be an E-P3 successor. | 43 Rumors

betamax

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Alan

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hi Guys
Thanks for ur thoughts . my view point is that many of us were waiting for OLympus to put OMD sensor in pen series and Olympus has done it . Many of us were living with IBIS of PENs and most of them were extremely happy . Now its USD 999 vs USD 599 and 400 dollars may be a lot of money for many people and they can get a decent lens to go with.I do like my OMD and its a different camera and people who want OMD will buy only OMD but EPL5 seems to be best bang for the buck .Some dont like the humpy VF and want a simple but a body with controls and EPL5 has it .I am not saying that people will stop buying OMD but newer PENs will affect its sale IMHO .
Cheers
Bhupinder

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is a very interesting discussion. The number of different responses shows clearly that there is a market for a range of different cameras at different price points and different features.

From my personal perspective, I bought an E-P3 last year because I like the old-fashioned non-SLR styling (some might call it "rangefinder", but that might be somewhat inaccurate), the larger body size compared to the E-PL3 and E-PM1 (I have large hands, and find the others uncomfortable - I have bought the larger grip for the E-P3, which makes holding it much more comfortable for me than the default grip) and the touchscreen. I don't tend to be a big user of an EVF. When I first had the camera, I didn't use an EVF at all: I find it more pleasant using the rear screen, and using a viewfinder (either optical or electronic - I previously used a film SLR) I find a strain on my eyes.

I subsequently bought a VF2 for use either in bright sunlight or when using my manual focus adapted 135mm lens (I found that I couldn't get critical focus with just using the rear screen, and didn't like having to zoom in to focus, where I could no longer see the whole image), but only use it when necessary, keeping it in the bag the rest of the time.

As to weather sealing, lovely as photographs in the pouring rain can be, taking photographs in the pouring rain is less than fun for me: I am what one might fairly call a fair weather photographer. I went on holiday to Wales earlier this year, and expected rain, so bought a special plastic bag designed to go over a camera: poor man's weather-sealing, if you will. I ended up being very lucky with the weather, and the bag has remained unused. I do wonder how much use that it is to have a weather sealed camera in all but rather unusual conditions (extreme humidity, perhaps?), as an unsheltered camera used in heavy rain, even if capable of remaining in perfect mechanical and electrical order, will still end up having image distorting drops of rain on the front element of the lens: is one not better off taking a photograph from a sheltered place even if one's camera is weather sealed? Perhaps more intrepid photographers than I have a cunning solution to all of this that has yet to dawn on me.

I tend to be of the view that there is much to be said for skipping a generation when upgrading things: there will always be something better just around the corner, and always buying the latest and greatest camera bodies can get very expensive very quickly. I imagine that there may well be an E-P6 one day in a year or two that will be a very satisfactory thing indeed (global shutter, perhaps?). Until then, the E-P3 is capable of producing very lovely images, and although not quite as lovely as the OM-D (or E-PL5 or E-PM1), lovely all the same.

I notice that a surprising number of users are keen on the idea of a second or backup body. Perhaps I'm missing something, but I wonder what the use of that is with digital cameras, at least for non-professional purposes. With film cameras, one would often carry two bodies so that one could have one type of film in one and another in the other (I would often have a Canon T-70 with Kodak E100-G and an ancient Canon FX with Fuji Velvia, for instance - but that was a seriously heavy load with a goodly number of lenses!), but that consideration no longer applies with digital. Is a second body carried in case of failure? I've never had a digital camera fail (before the E-P3, I had a Canon G10 and before that a Can on A630) aside from running out of batteries, and that's best dealt with by carrying spare batteries. Some professionals carry two bodies so that they don't have to change lenses as often, which makes sense if one is taking photographs at a wedding (and being paid to do so), but not so much sense if one is ambling about the countryside on a relaxing holiday taking photographs of whatever takes one's fancy. One of the advantages, I thought, of Micro Four Thirds is the splendid compactness of the system compared with the image quality that one can get. I carry all of my equipment around in a tiny Lowepro ILC 100 bag, into which everything fits nicely (in the strictest sense of "nicely", as it happens; I shall have to carry my 135mm lens in its separate carry case when I get the 60mm macro for which I have been waiting for some time, and if I ever get the Samyang 7.5mm, I shall have to leave the 14-42mm at home; I might if I am lucky be able to squeeze in the 17mm f/1.8 when it arrives next year).

I know that it's better to have to bodies for video so that one can take a scene from multiple angles at once and then cut the footage together later, but I don't do a great deal of video, largely because of the time consuming editing process.

But perhaps I'm missing something. I'd be very interested to know why people do carry two digital bodies around with them for stills. (Or perhaps people don't always carry two bodies? Perhaps people take different bodies for different occaions? I've never been very good at editing my collection of equipment and taking only a limited number of items for particular trips; maybe this is where I am going wrong). Perhaps there will be reason to get an E-P5 when it comes out (I vaguely suspect at around the same time as the announced 17mm f/1.8, perhaps early next summer) and use the E-P3 as a backup. I should be very interested in what people think about second bodies, compactness and carrying a subset of one's equipment at any one time.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
But perhaps I'm missing something. I'd be very interested to know why people do carry two digital bodies around with them for stills. (Or perhaps people don't always carry two bodies? Perhaps people take different bodies for different occaions? I've never been very good at editing my collection of equipment and taking only a limited number of items for particular trips; maybe this is where I am going wrong). Perhaps there will be reason to get an E-P5 when it comes out (I vaguely suspect at around the same time as the announced 17mm f/1.8, perhaps early next summer) and use the E-P3 as a backup. I should be very interested in what people think about second bodies, compactness and carrying a subset of one's equipment at any one time.

Two different issues: having two bodies vs carrying around two bodies.

In the first case, it's similar to what you describe for yourself: buying the E-P5 and keeping the E-P3 as a backup, just in case. Sometimes it doesn't make sense to sell an older body and you'd rather keep it for the dreaded emergency situation. Others keep a second body to use for different shooting needs; e.g. a Pen Mini with a pancake lens (or a Panasonic GF5 with same) is a great inexpensive pocket camera to carry around everywhere, whereas an OM-D, due to larger size plus cost, may not be appropriate.

The second case concerns both pro applications as well as any enthusiast application where you're shooting for extended periods of time. For an assignment job it's always a good idea to have a backup body, but it becomes an even better idea if you use prime lenses (or different zooms, e.g. 12-35 and 35-100) and want to follow a fast shooting protocol. But also think of someone on vacation doing serious travel photography. E.g. having a standard zoom on one body and a telephoto (or macro, for that matter) on the other. There are several scenarios where a second body is convenient.

Hope the above makes sense. :smile:

hkpzee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Patrick
James, the reason for me to carry 2 camera bodies around is simple. When I started off with m4/3 system, I had one camera and 2 lenses (20mm/1.7 + 14-150mm) and it was simple. However, after switching to shooting primarily with three prime lenses (12/2.0, 25/1.4 & 45/1.8), I find the need to swap lenses too frequently when I travel, and a compact second camera was the solution for me. The 25/1.4 was on my primary camera most of the time, while another lens is used with the second body depending on the situation. While this set up add a little weight to my camera bag (not much more than carrying an extra lens though), it significantly reduces the frequency of lens swapping, allowing me to focus more on shooting. If I were using a DSLR system, I would never carry two similar bodies unless for professional work, but due to the compactness of m4/3 cameras, it allows me this luxury...

jamespetts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Very interesting feedback - thank you! I do much prefer fixed focal length lenses (due to the improved image quality and faster aperture), and do find it somewhat time consuming to change lenses frequently, so I can see that there is a point here.

I'd still be interested in others' views on this (and also the practice of equipment editing for particular photographic expeditions: I always worry that the one lens/filter/accessory that I leave behind is the one whose absence will stand between me and the ultimate photograph).

Real Name
Nic
Aside from avoiding lens changing, you might also carry two cameras for their different feature sets and interface, or if their image output is different enough that you would choose to use one or the other depending on how you wanted to record a given scene.

Salc64

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sal
I keep my em5 for family shots at home, out with the kids were I
Sure to a have a stroller or diaper bag, or car were I can safely place my gear . For when their is no safe place I'll carry either the epl1 or EPM in my pocket. Normally I shy away from carrying my entire camera bag if it's not needed.. The epl1 usually is in my backpack everyday for work, I do construction and wouldnt forgive myself if I damaged the omd while working but if I nick my epl or spill alittle water proofing on it that only cost me $119 I won't lose anysleep over it. Besides the omd is already water ressistant.

Latest threads

Top Bottom