1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD Killer ? GH3? No ..Its EPL5 :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    So finally we have GH3 , EPL5 and EPM2 as new toys. I was looking at EPL5 and it seems its gonna give OMD a run for money IMHO. It has same image and video quality minus weather sealing and 5 axis IS and EVF which may not matter for many people .Infact tilt screen looks better on EPL5. OMD will still appeal but I think Oly have shot themselves in foot by releasing EPL5 and EPM2. Now Pannt GH3 is totally in different league and for different people . The price difference between OMD and EPL5 will be the biggest deciding factor for many of us . Instead of picking up OMD with 12-50 mm , many would love to pick up EPL5+ PL 25 mm 1.4 at almost same or probably 100 USD less. Please share your views .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 3
  2. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Personally I don't think the EPL5's tilt screen is worth the $100 over the E-PM2.

As for OMD vs EPL5, the difference after getting rid of the kit lens is ~$400. Is better IS, EVF, and weather sealing worth that much? Probably not, but if the OMD ever gets a price drop...

• Like Like x 2
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Controls, controls, controls.

If you want portability -- EPL5.

If you want control (plus the other items) -- OMD

I think it's a pretty reasonable price spread, though I think there will be some affordable used OMDs showing after the Pens are launched.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Bhupinder2002

I think if Oly drops OMD price then probably its a win win situation .$400 get you a Panny 20 mm or Oly 45 mm or even PL25 used one after adding $75 dollars more.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The things that drew me to upgrade from a Pen to the em5 was the viewfinder, IS system, and external controls....so it's of absolutely no interest to me.

• Like Like x 4
  6. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I find the e-pl5 very appealing...

but I am awaiting some user reviews of the Sony rx1, that is the machine that I have my eye on, but am puzzled by the 1/2000 shutter speed on the Sony.

Though I deal with that limitation on my e-pl1.

I think I can do some magic with the full frame Rx1.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bhupinder2002

I understand what do u mean Dane but there are plenty of people who were waiting for OMD sensor in EPL5 and EPM2 and didnt pull the trigger on OMD . OMD is a well balanced and sort of complete camera but now people have low cost options and someone can use the same money for a bette glass.
    Cheers

8. Bhupinder2002

Hi Lucille ..We miss ur car shots ..lol
    I love OMD and I friend of mine bought Canon 5D MarkIII and he is stunned to see what OMD delivers . Now I am shocked to hear about 1/2000 shutter speed on Sony RX1, it seems like a cruel joke . Its like a V8 engine with top speed of 100kmph.hahhaah:rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think a lot of folks will be in this boat. If you don't value the VF and controls then the E-M5 is probably a marginal choice in the first place. And the IBIS takes the E-M5 to another level. I think you are getting what you pay for, more or less, with the E-M5 and the E-PL5.

While the GH3, E-M5 and E-PL5 will battle for some sales dollars I think they pretty clearly line up in their own market segments with somewhat unique strengths and weaknesses. The decision of which to buy seems more clear to me now than it was 12-18 months ago.

10. Bhupinder2002

But on the postive side , I think MFT has the widest camera bodies and lens collection at the moment in mirrorless world.Impressive job by Panny and Oly to cater small , big , long short hands , noses..etc etc ..hahaahah
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

11. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

this pretty truck caught my eye.

lsx-8.

lsx-9.

the color on it really pops.... I look at these images and wonder how they will look on the Sony 35mm full frame....

• Like Like x 5
  12. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I am an EVF addict, can't shoot a lot with cameras that do not have a VF unless I am out doing macros/close-ups. To me, the IBIS, EVF, weather sealing are worth it. Once you get used to shooting at 1/4th of a second without blur, you just don't feel like going back. Having said that, for someone who wants to get into micro four thirds with the IQ of an OM-D, I think the E-PL5 is well worth it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I may be in the minority, but the incredible IBIS of the OM-D is pretty important to me, and something I'm willing to pay for. The PM2 looks pretty tempting because it's a lot smaller (my preference) with the same incredible sensor, but if the IBIS isn't significantly improved over the PM1 the camera will be significantly crippled in my eyes. Heck, just give it IBIS as good as that found in the E-PL1 and I'd be happy.

Now I fully understand others don't think IBIS is all that important, and for them the PM2 or EPL3 may be great choices.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    No Doubt

It is great to see the new bodies and lenses for this format and I am sure MFT is rapidly heading towards "One size (sensor) fits all" and the range of bodies / lenses coupled with the quality from current sensors is fast drawing in people that previously only used DSLR's.

All in all a great time for this format with new lenses on the way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. amalric

amalric  

Jul 24, 2012
    Rome. Italy
    Losing the plot, Olympus is, IMHO. I had the PL3 and sold it, because of the diminutive size, lack of controls and bad IBIS.
    Therefore I don't see the PL5 as an inheritor of the E-Px and dearly hope we'll see an incarnation with EVF included in RF form.
    I imagine that the NEX-6 and the E-X1 could steal all the sales of the OM-D if it weren't for the Super IBIS and CDAF, only for the shape.
    We are not in the dSLR world so why try to resuscitate the shape. OTH what Oly calls RF sorely lack an EVF as many here remarked. I am not amused by little P&S, for the price.

• Like Like x 1
  16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Without a built-in EVF, I'm not interested. Squinting at a screen in bright sunlight? No thanks. Holding the camera at arms length, making it much harder to hold steady? No thanks.

• Like Like x 5
  17. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    +1

+1

+1

There is no life worth living without!!! :smile:

18. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Just quietly, between us friends - The E-M5 and GH3 are both missing features that I needed to encourage me up into that big spend territory over $1000, body only. Consequently I have been finding the X-E1 classic RF design with few - but awesome - lens options, becoming more appealing. I can't get excited about the NEX6 beyond it's new hot-shoe, until I see some sample images to show me that it's IQ is much better than the NEX7 [which isn't significantly better than the E-M5 IMO...].

So I'm finding the fall-back plan cameras are the GX1, G5 and E-PL5. Take your pick, but the G5 is perhaps the most well rounded of the three - but they all have their unique charm. I long for the day Panny brings back a true successor to the L1, that would be a thing of beauty. Maybe they will call it the GX2?

• Like Like x 2
  19. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I bought the EM-5 specifically for the controls, add-on grip, IBIS, and weather sealing also.

I had the GX1 for a couple weeks without an EVF, I don't think I could go back to not having one.

Certainly the new PENs will be worth the upgrade for anyone using the old sensors.

20. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    To me, the EPL5 would be an amazing second m43 body. That and an OMD and a handful of lenses would be a simply amazing yet still very small and light travel kit. I wouldn't replace the OMD with it, but if I ever decide to get a second m43 body (doubtful - the Fuji X-Pro and OMD seem to be a better combination to me than two m43 bodies), this would be it for the current generation of technology.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3