OMD Jpeg Help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dan1942, May 7, 2012.

1. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Ok I just received my OMD and took some quick shots with it. Just a quick warning I am completely new to all this but should my shots have this much noise at 500 ISO ??

OMD
    ISO 500
    12mm at f2.0
    1/60
    JPEG Fine
    Vivid setting
    Noise LOW
    warm WB off

Now I know the Exposure is off too but all the images are like this except the ones at ISO 200.
    My old Camera is a Canon 10d and Even at ISO 400 on the old canon it looks better then the OMD. I am sure I just messed something up with it and it user error.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

Attached Files:

2. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    The main issue is the subject being cast in front of a very bright background. The metering is exposing for an average across the frame, but that background is likely 3-4 stops brighter than your subject. On top of that, auto-gradation is likely playing a role by boosting the shadows and introducing some noticeable noise. Also, there generally is less information stored in the shadows and compensating will show less color depth along with greater noise.

It would help to either place your subject in front of a less bright background, use a fill flash, or switch to spot-metering and risk the blown highlights of the sky for the sake of your subject. You'll notice less noise in your subject by "exposing to the right".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks! For the reply and taking the time to help!! I know a lot this is all user error on my part.

Here is another shot and the metering was a little better this time but it is at ISO 1250

Attached Files:

4. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Something isn't adding up here. What was the time of day and what were your jpeg quality settings? Did you have the sharpness settings turned up? I saw from the EXIF that you were in aperture priority and used CS5 as a processing tool. Did you do any edits to the picture?

It's not so much error, as it is a chance to learn how to extract the results you want from your camera.

5. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    The first set I tried to fix the Exposure that was it and then resized to get it uploaded here.

the second set of pics only were resized for upload to here. no other adjustments.

JPEG settings were at
    Large Fine
    Picture Mode Vivid
    Noise Filter set to LOW
    Graduation was at Normal
    and the sharpness was left at default

6. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Oh time of day was at 8:00pm still light out

7. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Hi Dan!

Strong backlight, looking into shadows and shooting jpeg + higher ISO is going to show more noise. A fill flash would have helped in these shots.

Keep learning your camera and photography basics and keep shooting and you'll get past this in no time. Also shoot raw it helps a lot.

8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Make sure you set gradation to normal. I don't have the OMD, but i've found that on my Epl2 noise is less noticeable at the natural stops of ISO than at some of the odd ones; for example, ISO 800 is often cleaner than ISO 500. There's even a setting to turn those partial ISO steps off, so I suspect Olympus was aware of the issue. Anyway, those are two things to consider...

9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I use ISO 200 full time when shooting outdoors, even if overcast, and the E-M5 still ends up shooting at rather high shutter speeds which freezes action.
    I also use Gradation set to Auto
    I often set Contrast to -1, if there are shadows in the scene.
    I don't do any post processing.

10. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    In those high backlit situations I've always used spot metering. Your subject is the boy so i would expose for him. The background may come out washed out but post processing will fix that later on.

11. Dan1942

Dan1942 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the help and advice!!! I am going to play around with it a little more this week

Dan