1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD is for me!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 9, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well after a minor wobble I've made the decision to stay with my Olympus OMD as my full and only camera kit!

I ordered and received a Nikon D7000 with the intent on replacing my M4/3 setup with it but its now boxed up to go back to Amazon!

I actually have decided that I prefer an EVF now, its great to be able to see what the shot your going to get is!

Also the build of the OMD seemed to me to be better overall!

Down to just the 100-300mm lens just now so need to rebuild my lens kit but as I've tried just about everything now (aside from the 12-35 and 75mm) I think I now know what to go for!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  2. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    I await developments, you're trying to out gear Dave :)

3. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Lol! I'm happy with the OMD, wouldn't mind a Silver one though!

4. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    Traded my d7000 in too a few months ago and got a silver omd - pretty delighted with it, using the omd much more than i did the d7000 which is what i hoped for when moving to a smaller system.

Image quality and everything else is fine - if i wanted more i would save for a d800e but then would i carry that everywhere with me ?

5. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I do like the look of the Silver, silver 12mm and 45mm look a bit odd on the Black to me!

How is the finish on the Silver one, does it seem good?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

6. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    Finish seems fine, it hasn't chipped, as you said this i took a closer look and where my hands hold there is super fine scuffing exposing the under surface.

actually it could be were my custom strap rings have done that, i took of the normal ones and use big loops then a custom strap - im not planning on selling this though and i want it too 'look' old so no one will steel it hehe hopefully that wont happen

Ive only got the kit 12-50 which is sharp and versatile - Ill get the PL 25 and the 7-14 lenses and maybe that 75mm in the future if i can afford it

7. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I love my silver. And my new oly 45 looks right at home on it.
    The finish is great, although I showed a photo of me with it to my
    dad and he said it was a really old camera. So I had to send a snap of the
    back with all the buttons and display

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Chris, do let us know what your final lens lineup is! I have a silver, looks great, no problems so far.

I'm waiting impatiently for Photokina (I live about an hours drive away) for any announcements ...

9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

If you really need the IQ of the Nikon D800E you would find a way to carry one!

My usual gear comprises a D800 (not E), D3, D7000 and eight lenses. Despite my bad back and dodgy hip I manage to carry most or all of that when I need to. A trolley case helps. But when I'm not working, my lightweight Panasonic G3 and five lens outfit is a joy to carry. :smile:

The OM-D E-M5 is a remarkable camera with by far the best dynamic range of any m4/3 body so far. Dynamic range of 13 stops at low ISO is a remarkable achievement and removes a major reason why some buyers have chosen to ignore m4/3 until now. Image quality is at least as good as the Nikon D7000 at low ISO and still very acceptable at high ISO. It will be my next purchase.

10. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I'm keeping the 100-300mm as its been used a lot recently and its as fast a long telephoto as I'm going to get in M4/3 (one of the reasons I was looking to go back to a DSLR)

But thats all I have now having sold everything else, my ideal lineup would be the 7-14, 12, 20/25 and maybe the 45.

But I think I'm going to plump for the 12mm, 25mm and maybe the 7.5mm fisheye as an UWA for now although I am tempted to get one of either the 20mm or 14mm as their size is just amazing.

Will be ordering some lenses today though as day to day just a 100-300 isn't much good to me!!!!

11. pjuk

pjuk Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 31, 2012
    London
    Sorry I took some of your lenses!! I could sell them back to you with a 10% fee :p

12. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Lol, I've actually decided not to buy another 7-14 for now! Looking at another 12mm... Might get a 25mm though!

13. willo

willo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2010
    London
    Chris, what did you think of the 7-14mm, I know you didn't have that long before you sold it. Also I got the impression that you were not that impressed with the 12mm.

Interested as I'm weighing up my wide angle options as well.

14. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Didn't use the 7-14mm a huge deal but it seems an amazing lens, much much smaller than I expected and I full expect to buy another sometime!!

As for the 12mm well I've actually ordered another along with the 25 and 45 to give me a full prime setup... also set to pickup a 20 for compactness really and I've ordered a 7.5mm fisheye to play with as my ultra wide, can't wait!!!

15. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Definitely a great selection covering all the major lengths :2thumbs:

16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Good decision Chris.

BTW, the silver is IMVHO a no-no, the black is sheer class.

17. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Well I received the 7.5 Fisheye and 20mm today but think the 20mm will need to go back , experiencing some issues with it locking up and I've come across the banding issue too, shame as its size is just great for making the whole outfit compact.

Not sure about the 7.5mm yet, actually found it quite difficult to get any sort of shot with so might return it too and just save up for another 7-14.

18. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    This is getting boring Chris, why not settle on some kit and let us see the results? :rolleyes:

19. chrism_scotland

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Oh I'd be keeping the 20mm if it worked!! Its not that I don't like it, always loved the lens but does seem to have some issues (as has been reported)

That and aside from my 100-300 I'm waiting for the bulk of my new kit (12, 45) to arrive next week or I'd be using that, only ordered the 7.5 to give it a try and see if I like the fisheye or not.

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Now selling the OM-D, too??? :eek: :rolleyes: :confused: :biggrin: