OMD IS FL Settings

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by Mijo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    When I change lenses I normally go into the IS menu and change the associated FL to match the lens I've just put on. I noticed in the FL menu options there are gaps (i.e. there's no 17 only a 16 then an 18). If I'm using my 17.5mm .95, should I set the IS FL to 16 or 18? Does it make a difference? Is it better to select a shorter FL or a longer one if the specific FL for the a given lens isn't an option?

What about when using zooms (which I don't use that often)? If I have the 12-50 on and zoom in to say 35 but have the IS FL set to 12, will that make any difference?
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    On a M43 native lens you don't need to set the IS manually. It's only for legacy lenses that aren't communicating to the camera. Look at the lens bottom to see if there are metal contacts or not.

I know for sure the Olympus 12-50mm doesn't require manual IS settings. I'm not too sure if the Voigtlander 17.5mm have the metal contacts.
  3. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    For adapted lenses, pick the focal length closes to what you're using. If using an adapted zoom, you'll want to adjust the setting as you adjust the focal length of the zoom. For native ยต43 lenses the focal length is picked up automatically for you, including zooms.
  4. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the replies guys. I thought that with native lenses the FL was automatic but then I noticed that when I changed my PL45 for my Voigtlander 17.5 the FL listed within the menu was set to the last FL I manually entered, which happed to be 15 for the body cap. Does the OMD just list the FL that was last manually entered? This is what confused me into thinking that the FL had to be entered in manually, even for native lenses.
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The manual focal length is 'greyed out' for native chipped glass, and simply displays the last focal used. Handy if you've only got the one non-electronically coupled lens, means you don't need to re-set the focal if you switch glass for a couple of shots.
  6. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Also all 4/3rds lenses used with appropriate adapter will automatically be registered for IS with m4/3 cameras.

7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I noticed that, but you can still change the IS FL with native glass when it is greyed out (which is what also confused me). I would have thought that if the IS FL is automatically set with native glass then there should be no option to change the setting in the menu, I guess I don't understand why the option to change the IS FL for native glass is there when the body does it for you.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The Voigtlander lenses for m4/3 are purely mechanical. There are no electronics, hence you must enter the focal length for IS.

I'd use the closest focal length. 18mm should be fine. Given that native lenses are not even precise to the nearest 0.5mm when reporting focal lengths, you should be fine.