1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD image stabilization test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noohoggin1, Nov 19, 2012.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Just thought I'd share my test photo of my new OMD's (which I'm still trying to get used to/figure out) IBIS feature. Very impressed, I've experienced image stabilization from my old E-3, Canon lenses, and Panasonic lenses...but I have never been able to hand hold a 1 second exposure with a sharp result...until now. Here is a sample photo (crop) from this past weekend...there is no other point to this thread lol :)
    PS--sorry for my messy door area :p

[​IMG]

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    1 second handheld does seem a bit nutty, huh?

Are you planning on using the E-M5 for your portrait work? Great stuff on your site!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Minnesotan!

3. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow looks really good. IBIS would help keeping ISO low. :O

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I'm not sure I believe this. Can you show us exif data that shows it was really a 1 sec exposure?

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Can you also show video evidence of this 1 second exposure, and post a signed and notarized affadavit affirming the length of this exposure?

• Like Like x 1
  6. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Kyle--thanks! Nice to meet another fellow MNer as well--hopefully someday in person! Yes, I do plan on gradually working the OMD into my portrait/glamour work alongside my 5D. I'm sure clients won't know the difference.

As for the "evidence,"-- tough crowd. Here is the link to my Flickr to check the exif info for yourselves:

Flickr: ThePhotoSamurai's Photostream

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Can you sign the affidavit in blood with DNA testing results attesting and verifying it is your signature and your blood? (It would be good to toss in a polygraph test from a local FBI office for additional verification.)

Gary

8. toshiro

toshiro Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    OMD's IBIS is amazing, with a wide angle it is quite easy to get handheld 1 second sharp shots. For example, I shot this handheld with my 12f2 with 1 second exposure:

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  9. sueifong

sueifong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012

1 sec handheld is easily do-able , 1.3 sec about 50/50, 1.6 and above you are pushing your luck. (on 14mm focal length)

Believe me. Because when I first try it and succeed, I don't believe myself either. I say to to myself: I'm not sure I believe this. Can I show myself exif data that shows it was really a 1 sec exposure?

10. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    STOP IT ALL OF YOU!
    Must not buy an OM-D...Must not buy an OM-D...Must not buy an OM-D...

And relax. :biggrin:

Sue, I did a double-take on reading the long-exposures thread when I saw you hand-held all of them!

11. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    :2thumbs:

:rofl:

12. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Sue!

Ah, not for us of...ahem...a certain age. Hand tremor reduces the IBIS advantage somewhat. However - your results are impressive.

I will attest that the IBIS on the EM-D (for me, anyway) is much more effective than the image stabilization I was able to get from my Nikon 70-200 2.8. The Nikon was nice, but the EM-5 is niiiice :thumbup:. That being said, I have yet to approach a stable shot at 1 second.

I hear this digital photography thing is really catching on...

Regards,

Jim

13. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    it is amazing for sure

posted this on a wedding forum when I got mine ;) focus point around the top row of keys
    2 second exposure :)

ibis-2.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Practicing Low Shutter Speed camera handling helps ... for those low shutter speed shots. There are certain techniques you can do and practice that actually help steady the camera. Any additional help one can give to the IBIS/IS will, in-turn, lower that rule-o-thumb threshold.

I bet with a little practice you can get down to a second with the OM-D.

G

15. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

That's even crazier. It would be fun to do a "longest hand-held exposure" contest with OMD lol :p

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Amazing stuff ... I bet you truly are a HappyFish. I gotta try two seconds.

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    That's why I love ya, Gary, you're an eternal optimist :2thumbs:.

I'm not quite as shaky as Michael Fox or Muhammad Ali, but I could give a 13 year old kid on his first date a run for his money :biggrin:.

I have a Canon model 100 monopod with a quick-release that helps a lot when needed, and doubles as a 'walking stick', so it's not an intolerable situation - but I do envy those photographers who can go rock solid still and hold it long enough to get a long exposure. I'm afraid those days are in the past for me.

I won't take your bet...I'd hate to see you lose your money :wink:.

Still, IBIS from the EM-5, like the light weight of the kit itself and the miniscule lenses, came along just at the right time for me. That Nikon kit was getting to be a bit much. We may be living the 'golden age' of digital photography.

Regards,

Jim

18. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Inspired by HappyFish awesome photo, I'm gonna try some 2-second handheld exposures later today, and will post results and see how far I can push this thing (and my steady/shakiness).

19. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    we did that a few weeks ago with the 75 on it for fun of people at a wedding waiting for ceremony to start picking out folks in the crowd
    tough part was people move to much :) haahhahah

but for 150 equiv no way could I do this with my 70-200 IS NO WAY !!!

for me I love it cause I can shoot the 75 at 60-125th a sec and know that camera shake wont be a issue :) no reason to drag out the tripod
    plus this was at 4000 iso I believe ? all I can say is pro FF need to get IBIS so they can start to make glass smaller and lighter again !

from this weeks gig getting a venue shot this was 1/4 second at iso 800
    the ibis allows me to lower the iso get a way cleaner shot of details

20. HappyFish

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    I was sitting down which helped a ton :) took 3 shots this was my best of 3
    the others still made me laugh at how good they were for 2 seconds :)