1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD IBIS distance control (lenses)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Nov 1, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    when I mounted my 25mm, IS defaulted to 50MM, is the camera already factoring in the 2x crop..

Or do I change to what is marked on the lens (in this case 24 is the closest)

Thanks.

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Change it to what is marked on the lens. 24mm should be good enough, these things aren't exact anyway.

3. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    I think it is only for MF lenses. You don't set the number with native AF lenses.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

4. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    This is straight from the manual

Choosing a focal length (Micro Four Thirds/Four Thirds System lenses excluded)
    Use focal length information to reduce camera shake when shooting with lenses that are not Micro Four Thirds or Four Thirds system lenses.

5. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The "50mm" that you see is not applicable when you have an electronically compatible lens (u43, 43) mounted -- it's just displayed to indicate the camera's current setting for adapted lenses.

And when using an adapted lens, select the lens's focal length (not the equivalent focal length on whatever camera).

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What ptolemyx said. 50mm is the default setting for MANUAL lenses. All native AF lenses both Four-Thirds and Micro Four-Thirds will be read automatically by the camera and require no user input of focal length for IS.

If you're using a manual lens, then press INFO while in the IS menu in order to change the focal length.

Oh, and by the way... does this mean that your E-M5 is working and responsive now? :D

7. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    Hehehe..

Yes. Cannot believe a perfectly good sd card with some Nikon folders can cause such havoc

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Hehe. I'm just glad you got it sorted! :D

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The 50mm is the factory default, or after a reset...the number had to be set to something, it couldn't be set to 0mm! Anyway, after you have changed it to another number it will stay to that number until reset.