1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD IBIS Clinking Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rijesh, Jan 2, 2013.

1. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Hey all,

When my E-M5 is in movie mode or set to IBIS on halfway shutter press I notice that when I move the camera sharply I hear a clinking noise. I think its coming from the sensor shifting to its maximum position to stabilize the sharp movement.

Is it normal to hear a clink.

If I am recording in a quiet room and shaking the camera sharply I can hear the clinking in the video playback as well.

Thanks

2. bipinsnair

bipinsnair Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Herndon, VA
    Bipin Nair
    I hear the same thing on mine too when I move the camera when shutter is half pressed.I think it is the IBIS, not sure though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    So do you think it's normal?

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're moving the camera fast & wide in IS1 then the IBIS will try to correct & would be driven to the extreme, however, you might also be hearing the aperture blades changing as the exposure level is changing. You may have selected a certain exposure level but it doesn't make any difference when moving the camera around & also before touching the shutter button.

What ever is happening, whether it is IBIS or aperture blades, it is normal & fine.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Here is a video of the sound.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GMN5sfqTs8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So you can hear all the clicking noise and at the very end of the video you can even hear a clink.

6. Ross the fiddler

If that is the video from the said camera, then I'm afraid it is a faulty IBIS system & will have to go back to Olympus (or the supplier). There have been the odd camera do that already & it is just one of those things that have shown up on the rare occasion.

EDIT!

I just tried mine & going on what you said in the first post that you moved the camera quickly, then it is normal for the IBIS to make that sound when trying to drive to that excess. If you move the camera quickly, then it is trying its best to compensate with that resulting sound, but,.... if the video is of normal movement & still showing that shake, then maybe there is the fault as I mentioned above.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Yes I am shaking the camera with quite a bit of jerk. Each click is a change in direction. Thanks for the info.

8. Ross the fiddler

Then you can relax & enjoy it then!

• Like Like x 1
  9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    For me, it's not a clink or a click. It's just a louder version of the fan whir that we hear when IBIS is enabled.

My EM5 makes the same exact sound as the video. With a longer focal length, like 45mm, just a slight tilt of the camera will make the sound as it tries to correct. I didn't have to shake my EM5. That's probably not a good thing for it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RFC1925

RFC1925 New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    Mine makes the same whirring (or clicking as you call it) noise as yours and I think that is just normal IBIS noise.

I think the one "clink" sound at the end of the video is NOT normal. Mine also makes the same clink noises and they also occur even if I move the body relatively camly and smoothly.

The sound is not from the aperture blades because the body makes the sound with the lens cap on and disappears when I disable IBIS. What is interesting is that I haven't been able to reproduce that noise with half press of the shutter in stills mode (with IBIS ON on half press of the shutter enabled in the settings).

I think I'll send mine in for warranty repair at some point. It's a small defect but irritates me enough to go through the hassle of sending it in :biggrin:

11. Edibile

Edibile New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    Hi to all,
    I'm writing to add my own experience..

My E-M5 is the second one I try.. The first one had many hot pixels in a central part of the image, and after nearly ONE MONTH it's got replaced..

The second one, instead, has weird clicking sounds coming from the sensor, when IBIS mode 1 is activated.
    They are loud and during videos I hear them at every small movement of the camera, or when I zoom in/out. I can hear them even with music, voices or other background sounds.
    They are also coming when I half press the shutter in still mode, and WITHOUT LENSES (I've tried to activate IBIS when no lenses are mounted, and the same sound comes from the sensor..)

These "clicking" are exactly like the one at the end of rijesh's video!

I've uploaded here a highly compressed video with a sample of these sounds:
    http://www.filedropper.com/p1300061
    (I didn't have time to upload to youtube)

Someone else is experiencing the same issue?

(tomorrow I'll call the local oly rep dep, trying to have a definitive answer.. I'm really upset, I can't say that Olympus does a good job in their test department! Don't know if I can trust them again in the future...)

UPDATE: I've called Oly and.. I trust Olympus! :D

12. Ross the fiddler

It sounds like you might have a faulty IBIS & the camera needs to go back if that's the case, BUT.... If it is faulty, the image seen in the EVF or screen should show it moving about (happened to an odd few), however on the otherhand, you might be hearing the aperture blades moving & they do move without pressing the shutter button too, as you point the lens at different lighting conditions it changes the aperture blades or at least operates them quite audably, depending on the lens attached. This is not a fault or anything to be concerned about.

13. Edibile

Edibile New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    Mmmhh.. I'm pretty sure it's not the blades.. It happens even WITHOUT LENSES! :confused:
    And I clearly see the sensor moving around (when half pressing the shutter btn), the clicking sounds happens when the sensor touches the edges.
    And it happens even for light and smooth movements.

Apparently the IBIS is operating correctly, the EVF does not freeze or blur away, in video mode or in still.
    I've tried to take a macro shot of a small text handheld at 1/8, and it's incredibly sharp. :eek:

So the problem is only the annoying "clicking" that comes into the mic in every video!
    Personally I don't like taking videos with still cameras, I'm old school.. :cool:
    BUT just in case I will, these weird sounds makes me crazy!

P.

14. Ross the fiddler

It doesn't sound like it is happy & should probably be taken back. :frown: Normal function of the IBIS is more like white noise with some variation in it as it corrects some movement, but clicking..... It sounds like it is over driving or maybe one of the springs have come off (I think there are 4 tension coil springs that hold the sensor unit to the back).

15. Edibile

Edibile New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    Trust olympus!

Yes!! You're right!
    It's exactly the sound of a spring!

I've just finished talking with the local Olympus repair center...

Do trust Olympus!

They are amazing, they suggested that if the camera is operating fine for my settings, I can test it more deeply before taking it to them.
    I can freely go to a local office to test the camera with them, and even if the camera seems to operate correctly (in fact, as for now, it's only a sound and not a failure) they can send it to Oly to "fine tuning" it. In the meaning time they can give me another body to work with.

16. Ross the fiddler

I just tested mine with the ZD70-300 lens on (with MMF-3 adapter) & the correction drive is very audible because of the amount of correction needed for that focal length (when shaking it about a little). It's almost a clicking type of sound. I hope it can be sorted OK. Some noises can be a little disconcerting if unknown, but they can sometimes be normal & some assurance is needed to put the mind at ease.

17. Edibile

Edibile New to Mu-43

Jan 30, 2013
    Mine is clearly audible at every focal length, with 12-50 kit lenses.. it's not there all the time, but it's frequent when panning from left to right (especially) and from top to bottom.

They've told me that (obviously) there are ranges of acceptable noises, and every sample comes out with different levels of operating sounds.
    Even the AF system has levels of acceptable precision. Some samples are more accurate, others less...

The interesting thing is that they can take a camera to "fine tune" it.
    Some customers have asked to tune their AF for special purpose uses, and it seems they can take care of it without additional costs during the warranty period..

I don't know if this is true for every case, but they seem to be very "customer friendly".. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  18. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Ok so at yes the clinking noise at the very end of the video is not normal at all.

I took it in for the warranty and they replaced the IS system.

All is well now.

19. Ross the fiddler

That's good to hear it's been repaired OK then. :thumbup:

20. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    So is it actually normal for IBIS to make that noise? I just noted that mine makes a similar to the video posted noise (not clinking though) if I shake the camera with 45 mm lens. Interesting, but there is no noise with 17 mm lens at all. Should I worry about it? Olympus warranty service in Ukraine is not very good and takes a lot of time.