1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD...hum?....noise?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, yesterday after playing with an OMD at my local camera store, and doing some SERIOUS math with my finances, i managed to buy a silver OMD...the thing is, i played with it last night, trying to customize all buttons and stuff like that...its amazing how customizable this camera can be...its amazing!... but late at night, i figure it out that the camera when its turned on, it actually does a constant noise? sounds like a "internal computer fan" running? im pretty sure ive read someone saying something similar in this forum....cant find it. is this ok? normal?, do i need to call olympus or change it? or is it part of being an "early adopter" of a series of cameras to come?...

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Normal, they all do it.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    It's normal.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Ha, I asked a similar question earlier today. The mechanism that provides the IS is active even when IS is set to off in order to properly place the sensor in the body. :)

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    so this means, that besides making the noise, theres no option of turning it off?... not that it bothers me, i just thought that it was something wrong with it....anyway.

6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I was the biggest cry baby on here about the Oly hum. Kept me from buying into the first shipment. Didn't want to have one of those first ones that hummed, but the next batch didn't kind of thing...

It is inconsequential at any level. 90% of the time you'll never hear it. I've handed mine to friends to ogle, then asked if they noticed it... not a one did.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You can turn IS off, but you can't silence the hum. But...c'mon.. :wink: I had my hearing tested a little while back...they reported that my hearing was very acute and that my high and low frequency hearing was much better than most people...and this noise is not bothering me. :smile: I have to say that YMMV, obviously, but to me it's really no biggie.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yes...the only reason I asked was because I was thinking I'd goofed the menu settings. :biggrin:

9. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    After several weeks of owning and using the OM-D, I find I've become rather fond of the hum.

10. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Perhaps the humm noise is one of Olympus hidden feature to get rid off the mosquitos if you plan to take your OM-D for summer outdoor camping. :rofl:

Notice it from the first day didn't bother me at all.

11. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    What I found interesting is that the hum goes away in video mode.

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    hmmm thats interesting...anyone else has noticed this? as well?. certainly might become some of the glitches to fix for OMD 2? even though is not "bothering" us?

13. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    It's not a 'glitch'.

The hum is severely reduced in video mode because it employs a different IS mode that is quieter - probably because the noise generated by the normal mode would be picked up by the mics.

It wouldn't surprise me if the video mode IS is power hungry so isn't employed all the time. Alternatively, the lower resolution of video could mean the IS doesn't have to be as precise or as aggressive so is toned down to reduce noise.

14. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    Oregon
    Yesterday, 03:57 PM
    Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn's Gallery
    OMD...hum?....noise?
    Hey guys, yesterday after playing with an OMD at my local camera store, and doing some SERIOUS math with my finances, i managed to buy a silver OMD...the thing is, i played with it last night, trying to customize all buttons and stuff like that...its amazing how customizable this camera can be...its amazing!... but late at night, i figure it out that the camera when its turned on, it actually does a constant noise? sounds like a "internal computer fan" running? im pretty sure ive read someone saying something similar in this forum....cant find it. is this ok? normal?, do i need to call olympus or change it? or is it part of being an "early adopter" of a series of cameras to come?...

IS on this camera works somewhat like speaker coil technology, coils & magnets.This is the hum you hear. It's no big deal, one gets used to it.

15. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    A little late in the game? :)

16. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    cool thank you all of you guys for the responses. i can deal with it. im still half through the instruction manual (yes, the ones that used to came in the boxes, its funny also because for this camera only comes with a basic printed copy of the manual, basically telling you, this is how you put the battery, this is how you turn it on, and this is how you shoot. if you want to know the internals or "pro" of it, then jump onto the cd that came with it, funny little detail for its getting considered a "pro" camera) setting the whole camera, im surprised how many more custom options has compared to my trusty EPL2, is totally customizable as my 5dMKII and i love that.