OMD HLD-6: Not convinced I love it...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Sep 10, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just got an HLD6 from B&H. I thought it would be all that, but I'm not so sure now.

The battery grip only takes one battery. For some reason, I thought it would take 2 -- like a DSLR battery grip. Then, if you don't attached the lower portion, and keep only the right hand grip portion, then you can't access the camera battery door, without removing the grip.

I've read a number of folks talk about how great just the first part is, but IMO it's a pain in the rear to take off the grip to get out the battery for charging. Will the OMD charge the batter in-camera??
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, I've read that too. One of the reasons I was considering the JLM grip instead.

No way to charge the battery in camera with or without grip, unfortunately.

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I just swap the batteries in the grip so I don't have to take it off.
  4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    I wasn't sure about it either when I first received it....but after some time on the camera, I'm quite happy with it.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Didn't realize there were alternates now. I actually like the look of the RRS option, though it's on backorder :(

BOEM5-G: Optional Grip for BOEM5 plate - BOEM5-G
  6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    I'm still waiting on a second OEM battery, making do with the single battery that came with the camera. I find it a pain also to have to remove the battery grip, so what I've done now is keep the battery compartment in the camera empty and move the battery to the grip. Seems to work fine for now, though ultimately, the best case is to do as shizlefonizle describes.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Are you keeping the complete grip on the body at all times, or just the first part, and pulling the grip off, to swap the battery?
  8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Generally, I only have 1/2 the grip on, and I remove & replace to swap the battery. Sort of annoying at first, but really only takes 2 seconds.

...I rarely take portrait-oriented pictures though.
  9. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    I was perturbed by the battery issue as well but after using the HLD-6 for a bit I'm satisfied with my purchase. You have a battery priority option choosing the battery in the grip to be used and then in the body or vice versa. I like the fact you gain 2 more shutter buttons and another rear wheel on the portrait portion. Also you gain two more function buttons...
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I think this is all personal preference, but I use the top half exclusively - have never even taken the covers off the "portrait"/bottom portion, and I love how it works. Yeah, you have to remove the grip to get to the battery, but battery life is good enough that this has not happened to me more than once a day (usually at the end). My only complaint would be that it's quite pricey, but I like it enough to ignore that.
  11. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    My HLD-6 never leaves my body. I just mainly use one battery at a time and switch them out in the grip. It makes the camera much more useable for me.
  12. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Not an issue for me...then again I come from the generation who had to remove the exterior leather case each time I wanted to change a roll of film, and that was only 36 exposures.

Removing the landscape grip every few weeks to change the battery is not an issue.

(if I get the CS-36FBC in a few weeks when it comes out, it too is attached with a screw thread from what I hear.)
  13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The Asashi grip on my GF1 is the same way. However, on the GF1, unlike the E-M5, the card slot is also in with the battery, so it blocks both. I find the card slot being blocked to be more of nuisance than the battery, but I don't do a lot of long shoots.
  14. Brian style

Brian style Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2012
    With everything else so well thought out on the EM5, the grip really shocks me.
    Allowing recharging while camera still in camera would have been a simple work around and probably meant even more sales.
  15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The covering of the internal battery combined with how annoying it would be to replace both batteries is why I did not get the oly grip. My purpose was for extended use for events. This doesn't help me.

And I didn't need portrait really, so having the first half of the grip but battery blocked didn't help me either.

Ultimately, JLM's grip was the perfect option.. didn't have to pay $300 for "half" a grip and I keep access to the battery door. Another addition of adding a handgrip anchor point =)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Is the grip part of the JLM grip rubberized/rubber coated, or just bare aluminum?
  17. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    On the combo grip it's textured, on the original base one it's just regular metal.
  18. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree.... if you want a grip that has additional functionality for capacity of two batteries and an extra set of controls for portrait positioning, then the HLD-6 is a great solution (albeit a bit over priced IMO).

If all you want is a grip, then the other options are a far better solution since the battery door is accessible. Cheaper too....

I bit the bullet and bought the HLD6. I like it quite a bit (except the price) I was also fortunate to have acquired 2 OEM batteries. Since the default is to drain the battery in the grip first, I generally swap it out once I notice the one in the grip is drained.... the inside battery is used just for those times that I leave the vertical grip behind or as a last backup.
  19. leejinwen

leejinwen New to Mu-43

Aug 2, 2012
    taking off the grip takes no more than 20 secs
  20. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    So try shooting w/o the grip again, and then tell me that it's not a fair trade off for the seconds of inconvenience. The more I use it, the more I appreciate it. But my opinion is biased as I got my grip for free. Olympus promo'd mine, since my first E-M5 lasted 2 minutes and froze up with the 25 on it. Had to wait 6 weeks for a replacement and when it came in, they gave me the choice of a grip or a 12-50 for free, I took the grip. In retrospect I still would have paid for it, the re-positioning of the shutter makes the other grips seem overpriced or what you get...a nicer grip, that makes the shutter button even more awkward. All the other grips I wouldn't pay more than $50 for, as they don't offer much. YMMV