1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD HDR (Bracketing) on timer?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rxstuve, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    USA
    I am trying to figure out how to take a bracketed group of photo's while on timer and a tripod for the best HDR results. So far the only solution I have come up with is I need to buy the remote shutter button.

I can take a bracketed group but not while on a timer delay to allow the least amount of camera shake. If I use the timer it takes one frame at a time even though it's on continuous.

what am i missing?

Rick

2. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    You're missing nothing. You need to use a remote to fire the shutter for as many frames as you're set for the bracketing. Canon is the one manufacturer that will fire all the shots when using bracketing on a timer.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Personally I find Olympus' approach to bracketing incredibly stupid. Considering how much menu digging you need to do for bracketing, even on the OMD, I suspect the people at Oly have some vendetta against it.

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    If it's a sturdy tripod, set the drive to HIGH and keep your finger on the shutter button.

7 shots whizz through in no time, I've just tried it.

Not ideal I know but accurate enough for most HDR I would have thought.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, but you have to count the shots, as the camera will keep bracketing shots till you remove your finger from the shutter/remote button. It took me a while to figure out how to auto-bracket with my E-PM1, as my Panny LX-5 will shoot all bracketed shots with one press of the shutter button and no need to change from single drive mode. (Do Panny m43 cams function similarly?) Now that I have it figured out though, bracketing on my E-PM1 works well. :smile:

6. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

Not so, I have just set my E-M5 to bracket 5 shots in high drive.

I held my finger on the button and it took 5 shots and no more.

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Good to know, especially for when I can upgrade to a new body. I hope this change trickles down to the new PENs. :smile: The E-PM1 will bracket repeatedly, so I must count the shots. Seems silly IMNSHO. :eek:

8. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    +1 with qualifications...

I do not have the EM-5, but that is precisely how the EPL-2 and EPL-3 work both WITH and WITHOUT a remote wired shutter release. There are some cheap wireless remote triggers that seem to manage to override this, but I hardly think that is what we are talking about here.

I am also going to take a leap and say the EPM-1 which was implicated in this must also work this way - stops at the end of the bracket.

One of the reasons I purchased the EPL-3 was that it has enough speed and functionality to make hand-held HDR possible (for those situations where you do not have or cannot use a tripod). This functionality figured into that prominently as I did not want to count shots.

woof

• Like Like x 1
  9. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The fact you have to hold the shutter down until the bracket is finished doesn't bother me, but the faffing around to get to bracketing does - I also don't understand why on something as pricey as the OM-D they couldn't have given a wider bracketing range. e.g. 5 shots at 2EV steps - something they could easily do in a firmware update, but will most likely be reserved for the 'Pro' version.......

10. sjt

sjt Mu-43 Rookie

May 5, 2012
    Mexico, NY, USA
    Steven J. Tryon
    The menu insanity for bracketing made me crazy too. So, I created a MySet for "Normal" and another MySet for bracketing. Switching between then automatically adjusts the brackets, ISO, and the high-speed trigger.

And if it helps, I find that using the touch screen to fire brackets is less of a jar on the camera than using the button.

Also, I always fire 7 buy then in Lightroom I delete some of the mid-shots if they won't be needed to make a quality HDR.

Steven

• Like Like x 1
  11. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I've encountered the 1EV step restriction for a while, at least on the OMD we can have 5 shots which is more than the EP2 did or even the "pro" Fuji X-Pro 1

12. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    The range of exposure covered by 7 shots is only slightly larger than can be covered by 5 shots. Five exposures with 1 stop steps provides +/-2 stops of coverage while 7 exposures with .7 stop exposure(the max for 7 shots) provides +/-2.1 stops of coverage. For HDR I see no reason for setting the camera for more than 5 shots with a 1 stop exposure step. Am I missing something?

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Well I sure wish you were correct, because I have to count shots with my E-PM1. I have it set to bracket 5 shots with 1EV compensation, and it will shoot continuously till I take my finger off the shutter button. So if I lose count and take my finger off the shutter button after say, 7 shots, when I go to take my next shot, it doesn't start with 0EV, it finishes the remaining three shots of the previous bracket and then starts over at 0EV.

I took many, many hand-held bracketed shots the other day (for HDR), and each time it worked this crazy way. BTW, I have a MySet configured for bracketing.

So you're saying the E-PL2 and E-PL3 will stop shooting when they complete the configured number of bracketed shots? The camera sits there and does nothing even if you continue holding down the shutter button once the bracket set is complete? If so, it seems my E-PM1 is the odd one out. Might there be some obscure setting I'm missing? I can't imagine Olympus would have purposely limited the E-PM1 in such a way. Might there be something wrong with my E-PM1? Otherwise it works fine though.

I'd be interested in hearing from other E-PM1 users, and I'd also appreciate some assistance in setting up bracketing if you think the problem is operator error. :eek:

14. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    Compared to GH2

I have a GH2, and also an E-M5 on order. I use the AEB on the GH2 frequently, and it works so easily, compared to my understanding of how the Olympus works. With the GH2, you just move the large selector on the top right from Single Shot to multi-bracket, and assuming you've previously set the menu choices for number of shots & EV spacing (e.g. 1 stop between exposures), you get exactly what you want. And can then easily change back to single-shot without going anywhere near menus, or the LCD.

And what was Oly smoking when they decided to limit the 7-exposure option to less than 1 EV? That's just ridiculous. So now I can see myself having to take two series of brackets, one shifted a couple of stops from the other, in order to cover the additional range. And then have to deal with another layer of complexity when saving & organizing the images logically into folders. Grrrr!

15. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I have the best of both worlds a GH-2 and an E-M5 :smile:

Have to say the GH-2 bracketing is a piece-o-cake, it does a max of 7 shots at a max of 1 EV between each shot.

The E-M5 max is 7 x 0.7 EV.

16. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    I agree with you - I had a G3 and now my squeeze is an EM-5, and both require you to hold the shutter button while mentally counting off the bracketed shots. It can be done, but it's a pain especially when recalling my older Panasonic's such as the LC1 and others, which would run off a bracketed sequence with just one press of the button.
    While I'm on the subject - although you can configure bracketing as a 'Myset'
    it is beyond arcane that you have to hold the relative function button down while pressing the shutter.
    These things could presumably be fixed in a firmware update...lets hope that it's soon.

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Oly used to be able to enable bracketing via the drive mode, although you sitll had to set how many frames and how much EV via a menu, and hold down the shutter release to get all the shots.

In a way the way they do it now gives you more flexibility in that you can select the speed of the shutter (high burst, low burst, single, timed, etc.) whereas before you were stuck at a fixed rate.

18. Dave in Wales

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Don't people 'read' these posts.

My previous entry said.........
    Not so, I have just set my E-M5 to bracket 5 shots in high drive.

I held my finger on the button and it took 5 shots and no more.

You do not have to mentally count the bracketed shots for the E-M5 it stops at the number of frames selected.

• Like Like x 1
  19. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I agree with Dave in Wales : my E-M5 also makes only the desired number of pics when holding the shutter button.

Still, the order is a bit unusual for me as a Pana-shooter : first comes the 0 EV, then -2/-1/+1/+2 while Pana gives -2/-1/0/+1/+2, at least with my settings ...

Just a small differences, but I was surprised when I first was looking for my series of pictures for an HDR shot ...

C U
    Rafael

20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Mystery Solved!

I don't think this is a case of "not reading" so much as sevenil simply pointing out that his copy of the E-M5 behaves differently than yours. After I stated in a previous message that my E-PM1 does not stop after shooting the configured number of bracketed shots (thus requiring me to count shots), woof took "a leap" and claimed the E-PM1 must stop at the end of a bracket simply because in his experience, other similar cameras do.

Who knows better how a particular camera behaves than the one holding it in his/her hands? If you think we just don't know how to use this particular feature, help us to make it work properly. Insinuating we don't read posts or insisting our cameras don't work as our experience indicates is unhelpful to say the least.

That said, being the old computer pro I am, I simply had to figure this out. So last night I set about testing my E-PM1's bracketing.

I'd previously configured MySet 3 for 5-shot/1EV high-speed drive, and using MySet 3, my E-PM1 doesn't stop shooting after the fifth shot. Next I set the camera to my "normal" MySet (MySet 1) and turned on 5-shot/1EV high-speed drive. This time, my E-PM1 did indeed stop after the fifth shot! Could it be that MySet 3 was somehow "corrupted" thus causing the camera to keep shooting past the end of a bracket?

To verify, I saved my (correctly working) bracket settings to MySet 4 and then reverted the camera to MySet 3. Sure enough, the camera failed to stop shooting. When I reset the camera to MySet 4, my E-PM1 stopped at the end of the bracket!

My conclusion? Somehow MySet 3 was indeed corrupted, as MySet 3 and 4 were configured identically, yet MySet 4 worked and MySet 3 didn't. I reset all MySets and reconfigured. Voila! I now have a MySet that brackets properly. My E-PM1 correctly stops at the end of each bracket, so I can give up counting shots. :2thumbs:

So guess what? You're correct that your camera works as you observe, just as I'm correct that my camera works as I observe. In this case, it seems computer error is the cause of the discrepancy.

I love my E-PM1, and I do like the massive amount of customization provided by Olympus' menu system. But honestly, Olympus' bracketing function is the most convoluted I've ever seen. :tongue: