1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD grid

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by richtraff, Aug 8, 2016.

1. richtraff

richtraff New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2016
    Richard Trafford
    I'm new to this photography game so please bear with me...

I've got the grid set up on my Olympus OMD EM10. It's the one that splits the screen view into thirds...however it's not exactly into thirds.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just how it is?

2. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    If the EM10 is equal to the EM5 MII than it is how it is.
    When I've changed from Panasonic to Olympus was the first thing I've noticed and find it a bit weird.

3. richtraff

richtraff New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2016
    Richard Trafford
    Very weird. I thought it was to help newbies like me to get used to 'the rule of thirds'.

I may just ditch the grid and go by own gestimate.

4. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Never realized that it's not accurate.
    I need to measure this later today.

5. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    It's called a Phi grid. The rule of thirds grid is actually an approximation of the Phi grid (it's easier to draw and visualize in equal thirds than dividing the frame up to Phi ratio), but its not strictly correct in terms of working to compositional balance when using the golden ratio. Using Phi instead of equal thirds should give you a more natural look.
    A quick google will give you a better understanding than I could quickly explain, but here is one of the first articles that appears in the search results: Divine Composition With Fibonacci's Ratio (The Rule of Thirds on Steroids)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It has always stuck me as odd that Olympus went with the Phi Grid over the Rule of Thirds. The Phi Grid and Golden Ratio are seen more in traditional art and I would guess that most photographers are either not use to it or have not really heard of them. My nephew is an artist and we talked about this awhile back. He likes the Golden Ratio and uses it a lot in his work. I've tried to embrace it (since my camera uses it over the Rule of Thirds) but I just don't like it for my work.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    As Phocal quite rightly just said, either you'll find it works for you or you won't get on with it - going with your own gestimate would put things where you want them, rather than shoehorning your compositions into a rule.

• Like Like x 1
  8. richtraff

richtraff New to Mu-43

Jul 25, 2016
    Richard Trafford
    The Phi Grid hey! I knew there would be a logical explanation.

It was annoying me at first but now I know why it's like that I can't wait to give it a try!

I may even snub the rule of thirds to my SLR friends and educate them on Phi...just so I sound like I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info people :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I dislike the "rule" moniker. Can't tell me what to do! :) As an aid it's pretty handy and a reminder for me to not always put the subject in the center of the frame.

10. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    FWIW I guess I knew there was a two-line by two-line grid (dividing the screen into 9 boxes) but I chose the finer grid when I set up my camera and did not realize that the 9 boxes were not thirds but PHI related which I learned from this thread.

I mostly use the grid for making the composition properly horizontal and vertical... I only recently learned (sad to say) that the M10 has electronic H & V level indicators, but the grid is till faster. I started out my photography on a Rolleiflex TLR and it had a grid on the reflex viewing screen.

Still, I would not overly rely on the thirds/phi grid for composition... they are just guidelines, items aren't fitting exactly on the lines and if you are going to be so compositionally critical, you will probably do it with cropping, not on the screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank's for the info GarethB
    More than use it for composition, I use the grid to get things perfectly horizontal or vertical.
    I use the grid more than the electronic H & V indicators.
    I often crop on post processing to more or less match the rule of thirds.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    What I would like is a way to snap focusing and light metering to the intersection points on the grid, without have to move the points manually. Could not see a way on the E-P5.

I like the Olympus grid better than the thirds on my other cameras.

Regards

13. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    That would actually be a neat little feature.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    What we really need is eye AF (AF moves to where the eye is looking) :)

As regards Phi vs Thirds, I must say that I prefer Phi. It definitely looks more natural. I use it a lot. In most landscapes it works very well.

15. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    ...and once you are stare-focusing on your subject, a "blink-to-release-shutter" function would be handy.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  16. obsolescence

obsolescence Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2016
    Los Angeles
    John Gaylord
    I would do almost anything for a Phi :laugh1: