1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD &GH3 open new frontiers for MFT..whats next ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys
    I moved to MFT 3 years ago after an accidental stint with EPL1 and fell in love with the system . I did have some doubts in the begining how things will turn up in future and I did buy few DSLRs in between but sold them quickly I had full faith that this thing will be the next big thing . Now when I look at OMD and upcoming GH3 , I wanna thank Olympus and Panasonic for changing the face of digital photography . OMD and GH3 has set the bar high not only for MFT cameras but in general for mirrorless cameras. OMD and GH3 are rubbing shoulders with the best APS-C sensor cameras and offering us the best available camera bodies and a lens line up which is growing at slight slow but contant pace. OMD and GH3 has changed the mindset of many photographers and people about MFT.I remembers, earlier MFT cameras used to get more negative coverage in media for their weaknesses and now the current generation gets more attention for their strengths and what they can offer in a small portable package and exellent lens line up .
    If you ask me if I am happy with MFT ? Yes , I am very very happy .Now at the same time , I am wondering what else we should expect from MFT ? ANy ideas from so many intelligent brains out there sitting infront of laptops , desktops or surfing this forum forum from their smartphones?:wink:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Continuous AF. To me this is the only significant problem that remains in Micro Four Thirds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yep. And to me this is not a small thing. As long as shooting sports is a priority for me I can't give up the DSLR. The moment Oly or Panny or Sony or Fuji or someone else figures this out in a mirrorless compact body (E-M5 quality) I will happily ditch the DSLR forever.

One thing we can expect to see eventually is a global shutter. I know it will help improve video quality; not sure what it does for stills though (decreases distortion?). Seems like Panasonic especially has been hard at work on it. Maybe in the next GH body? I think it was rumored for the 2 and the 3.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think largely more of the same. Gradual improvements in sensors, viewfinders, and AF performance.

Continued lens growth, especially with "mid-range" lenses. By that, I mean better quality, and faster than the existing zooms, but slower, and maybe variable aperture, compared to the new Panasonic zooms. Things like a 14-45 f/2.8 - 4, or a 35-100 f/4, or maybe a 25mm f1.8. All of which could be quite a bit cheaper, especially with more plastic and less metal, than the 12-35 and 35-100.

If Panasonic is serious about pro or semi-pro use, they're going to have to find/build a shutter that goes faster than 1/4000th. I wonder if the close / open / close / open cycle makes this harder?

I don't think we'll see PDAF from Panasonic. Unless they're just sowing misinformation, they've made it pretty clear they think improving CDAF is the better approach. Oly, who knows?

Panasonic seems to have rediscovered the value of good ergonomics with the G5 and GH3, and I expect that to continue. Similarly, I expect Oly to continue with retro styling and an emphasis on small size. If the rumor of a higher-end, more "pro" OM-D are true, it will be interesting to see how Oly balances the two, because I don't think pros in the fields of PJ, sports, event and wedding photography will be willing to sacrifice fast handling for small size, beyond a certain level.

I expect wi-fi support to become commonplace, allowing control from smartphones, as currently supported by the GH3. A more interesting possibility is the integration of Android into the cameras themselves. If the cameras provide an API, allowing 3rd party vendors to make apps that can customize how the camera works, provide alternate user interfaces, and possible provide enhanced feature sets, that would be really cool. I'm not sure the camera makers are ready to relinquish that much control, though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Im very new to M 4/3, and before I decided to invest any money into a new camera system other than my DSLR I did quite a bit of research. If you look at both the Panasonic and Oly M 4/3 cameras since their inception they have introduced several models with each model showing slight improvements over the years. This is definitely a sign of growth in a new market. For me it's pretty exciting too see what they have done in so little time since I am in marketing myself. They keep introducing new models with upgrades and the excitement level keeps rising.

To me this shows a commitment to this new market, and I am also excited what the future may bring. What will professionals do if there becomes no obvious advantage in using a DSLR? It can only get better for M 4/3 if we are a step behind now because we will always have something to look forward to tomorrow. I would guess we will start seeing some more professional quality lenses soon and our smaller M 4/3 bodies being packed with more and more technology Wifi, GPS, etc..

I still use my DSLR for any professional work, but I could see (myself) slowing moving towards only using M 4/3 if they keep introducing new models and lenses. This may not work for everyone's professional use, but I can only imagine I am not alone in thinking this way.

Just my opinion :smile: