OMD Function button and bracketing ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by aage, Jun 25, 2012.

1. aage

aage Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 17, 2012
    I have a OMD EM5 and one question.

Is there a way to assign bracketing to a function button ???.

Would be convenient if possible to turn it on and off without having to go into the main menu.
  2. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    You can assign a bracketing myset to a function button. Just set up the camera as if your above to carry out your bracketing, then save it to a MySet. Then assign that set to your function button.

However the caveat (hopefully only for now) is that you must "Hold" the function button while engaging the shutter for it to carry out said bracketing set.

I hope that helps... and hope Olympus updates it soon, so we don't have to "Hold" the bloody function button to use the set. This is one of my biggest quibbles with the MySet feature.
  3. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    I made a myset for bracketing and continuous shooting, and assigned it to one of the custom functions. The problem is that when I use that, it also reverts to the aperture I had set when I created the myset. I'd like the myset to keep everything the same, just switch to bracketing and continuous shooting. Is that possible? Thanks.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
  5. KellyinPA

KellyinPA Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for the quick, but disappointing, reply.
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Does anybody know if this sorry state has been fixed on the EP5?
    The OM-D firmware is crying out for "SCP page 2". Featuring bracketing and all your Mysets
  7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    The purpose of MySet is to set EVERY setting to what you have saved when you created the MySet...there's no way to pick and choose what is restored.

I've seen a lot of complaints about having the bracketing toggle in the menus, but as a long time Olympus Digital user (10+ years) I remember the "sorry state" it used to be in...bracket or BKT used to be an option in the drive mode (where you select single shot, continuous, or timer shotting). In the old days you were stuck with continuous shooting when turning on bracketing mode.

Today though the fact you can chose the drive mode separately from turning bracketing on and off is a great feature, that newbie Olympus users don't understand (not to mention having more than one type of bracketing (exposure).
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Yes. I've put BKT on a Myset out of desperation. I'm happy to use the clumsy Mysets to set multiple settings for Tripod and Timelapse. But just to activate Bracket, that I need either handheld, or in combination with the Tripod Myset is a real pain of menu clicking. And even worse if you suddenly need 3 frame or 5 frame or 7 frame BKT.

A user defined SCP for example would let people put their favourite settings and Mysets ready to hand. They should also improve the Bracket, in that, like Drive, ISO, etc. with a LEFT-RIGHT scroll through the values. they could enable the currently unused UP-DOWN buttons/Dial 2. So LEFT-RIGHT/Dial 1 for number of frames 3f, 5f,... And UP-DOWN/Dial 2 for EV steps. You'd get to your precise setting quicker and get more values not available today like 2EV, or more frames. You can find this 2-way control already on the OM-D (Play, Art, A,S,...) as well as on other cameras. And it does not remove or compromise any other function.

Olympus cameras having a history of difficult operation, or even other cameras from other manufacturers, being worse, does not mean there are no problems with the OM-D, or that we should accept difficulties today. Especially as Olympus have already proved it can be better, by fixing some of those things with the EP5. With it's 2x2 dials, moving the ON/OFF and adding more buttons. Which is why I asked if Olympus had fixed some of their other ergonomic problems. As I don't know. So I asked. I hope they have.