OMD Full Leather Case

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mijo, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm a sucker for leather cases, I bought panasonic's offerings for their GF1, GF3 and the GX1. When I bought the OMD E-M5 a couple of weeks back I fully intended to buy the leather case that I had seen previewed.

I kept checking back on Olympus's general website (US version) to see when it was going to be available and to see how much it would cost. A couple of days ago I noticed that the price was finally listed, E-M5 Accessories .

$1000 USD seems excessive to me, is this a typo? I find it hard to believe that the full leather case is the same price as the body. For those of you that are familiar with Oly (OMD is my first body), does this price seem consistent with what they would normally charge?

2. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Ouch! It had better be - I don't see a red dot on the front!

3. Gilgar

Gilgar Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 8, 2011
    Gloucestershire, UK
    Yes - definitely a typo. It's likely to be $100 as the case costs £100 in the UK. An Olympus promotion here recently provided the case free with OMD purchases and one or two are now turning up on ebay in 'as new' condition - maybe there was something similar in the US?

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Gilgar - thanks for the reply and confirmation on the typo. I haven't seen any deals here in the US that included the case

Dave - I didn't see your FS post, otherwise it would have been clear that the price listed on the US website was a typo. Was there something that you didn't like about the case? I'm just curious b/c I highly doubt that I'll be able to find a store that stocks that case and would be able to check it out before actually buying it.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I only had a cursory look at it, but I remember being most impressed by it's quality.

7. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I really wish they would offer it in brown. I have an OM-1N with the original brown Oly case like this and it needs a 'twin'.

8. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I couldn't wait so I bought one on eBay for $143 shipped. I still haven't received it. It's nice to see that Olympus plans on importing it in the US. It looks huge on the pictures - like the camera does. I hope it's actually smaller. It's nice to know it is of good quality. I'll be able to take my E-M5 more places. Now I need to find a convenient case to carry a few primes: 7.5, 12, 20 and 45, well 3 in a bag and one on the camera.

9. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Damn, i've been checking ebay daily and I have yet to find one for sale. I'm also curious to see how big the case actually is b/c I agree that it looks big in the picture.

10. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    There are still plenty for sale on eBay. Just search for CS-36FBC. The same seller i bought one from has one for sale for $143.99 with free shipping.

From the pictures, it looks like it could be big enough to accommodate the small flash.

11. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I ended up with the dirt-cheap third party 'pleather' case. It's ugly, but the main part I wanted was the bottom half anyway. This will tide me over until I find a true leather case that fulfills all my dreams. :rolleyes:

12. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the heads up on what to search under, i was searching under "OMD case" and only cases made by third parties were coming up. I'm tempted to purchase one from the ebayer in Canada, but i've been burned a couple of times by international sellers.

13. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Just wanted to give you all a heads up that the price is now listed on the link in my original post as $80 (USD). I talked to a customer service person and they indicated that the cases "should" be available via their website starting Sept 1st.

14. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Just wanted to bump this thread and let members know that the case is available throught the online Olympus Store (US). I ordered it earlier this week along with the 75mm and an extra battery. According to a customer service rep my order will ship in approximately 3-4 weeks when the battery is available, the other items are in stock already. I could have opted to have the case the lens shipped immediately but i didn't want to have to pay for shipping twice.