1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD flash question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ig7, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I am confused and would really appreciate some help. My camera's flash is set to RC mode. I have the little flash that came with the camera attached to the camera and I am using FL-300R as a remote flash. The problem I am having is that even if I set the on camera flash setting to off in the menu, it will fire together with the remote flash. Is it possible to set the camera flash not to fire and only have the remote flash go off?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    No, it's not possible unless you use third party radio control.

3. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    No. The on-camera flash is used to trigger the off-camera flash. You can buy radio type remote triggers which are compatible with your camera and off-camera flash.

There are many threads discussing this, just do a search for flash and you'll have plenty to read.

4. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you. I tried searching before but could not find the answer to that particular question. Will try again

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    You can turn off your remote flash and take a photo, that should tell you if the onboard flash is contributing light to the photo.

6. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Good idea. I did some more googling and I think it might be the trigger pre-flush

7. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    I wonder also if in the custom flash setting do you keep the "flash intensity added to exposure compensation" on or off?

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends on what you are trying to do!

Some have noticed the RC does contribute a bit of light (even in OFF) under certain conditions and certain subjects. https://www.mu-43.com/f106/bounce-ttl-42355/

9. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Lets' say I need to use it as a fill in. What would be the setting? And if I need to lite up the background, what then?
    Sorry if I sound as a newbie, I am still learning lol

10. RobWatson

I'm no expert and I specialize in obscure subjects (see siggy). Probably best not to listen to anything I say!

Do you want the flash to contribute to the over all metering or not? For example in an outdoor type setting where the exposure without flash results in too low of light on your primary subject (say a persons face with a open sky background). With flash+comp then the background will become darker as the exposure gets metered lower. As your subject occupies more of the frame the change becomes even more pronounced (depending on the type of metering).This type of situation is a bit easier since the background is not impacted by the flash.

An indoor setting where the background is lit by the flash it begins to make more sense to use flash+comp.

It also makes a big difference on how the flash is set. Fill flash with a manual power level versus TTL, etc.

Personally, I find the the camera and I often disagree on metering when using flash so I tend to go either fully TTL (with careful spot metering) or fully manual and never use metering and/or compensation! I'd hazard a guess and say 90% manual versus 10% TTL for me.

11. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thanks everyone, it is actually beginning to make sense to me

12. RobWatson

13. Ig7

Ig7 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2011
    Thank you