1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD evf vs. vf2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Kudos to Olympus. I sent my vf2 in for warranty repair on a minor issue (it wouldn't click into the down position) on January 8, and it's back in my hands just 9 days later.

I was planning on selling the VF2 to help fund the OMD, but after shooting macros for the last few days, I felt the evf on the em5 wasn't as helpful as the vf2 had been. Now that the vf2 is back, I mounted it on the em5 (which turns off the built in evf), and did a comparison. To my eye, the vf2 is clearly superior. I'm going to keep it for macro work... and just in case Oly introduces my dream PEN, which will have...
    • the new 16mp sensor
    • a tilt lcd in 3x2 format
    • a built-in flash (to trigger remotes)
    • the rangefinder body style
    It's heresy, but, I'll gladly swap my em5 for an upgraded pl2. I had hopes for the pl5, but it's missing the bif and has a wide format lcd, better suited for movies. Maybe the ep5 will come closer to my dream set of features.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I always thought they were the same....

1.4 million with a slightly different magnification.

3. usayit

Just did the same...

To my eyes, I see no difference between the VF-2 and EVF on my OMD.

4. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Perhaps it's the difference in magnification (and eyepoint?) that makes the difference. I can clearly see the optimal point of mf with the vf2, but with the omd evf, I need to use the magnifying function to get it right.

Did you try it with a manual focus lens? The difference is quite clear to me using the legacy 55/3.5 micro-Nikkor.

5. usayit

Still see no difference: Leica Summilux 50mm asph and Takumar 50mm f/1.4. Earlier I was using a Panny 20mm. I don't see why two different lenses would matter wether or not the EVFs are the same or different.. makes no logical sense. Just as long as you were making comparison with the same lens.

Let me ask the obvious... have you checked the diopter settings on both?

6. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I did the tests with one lens.... the 55/3.5 micro-Nikkor... and on the same subject from the same distance in the same light. Diopter was carefully set on both evfs.

I just checked the specs. The magnification on the vf2 is 1.5x vs. 1.0x for the em5 built-in evf... which would seem to be a considerable difference.. That may be the reason I find it easier to mf with the vf2.

7. usayit

um... BHPhoto right?

They have a typo.. its not x1.5 its x1.15 and both are 100% viewing.... doubt you would see or notice a small difference.

If anything, I believe the OMD would be better if properly set to 120Hz refresh rate versus the 60Hz in the VF2.

8. Uncle Frank

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Good catch. Olympus specs are 1.15x. Nevertheless, the difference is very apparent to my old eyes. And if you look at the size of the viewing port, the vf2 is significantly larger. I'm not trying to convince you, though... just outlining my personal take on the effectiveness of the two evfs in my hands.

9. usayit

Understood.. never thought otherwise... to each their own.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I really haven't noticed any difference in the two EVFs in terms of quality. What I have noticed is that the eye-cup on the VF-2 is far less effective in blocking out external light for me than the one on the E-M5. Perhaps it's because I wear glasses, but it makes the E-M5 much easier to use in bright conditions.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I will definitely check that out next time someone with an e-M5 comes 'round.
    This does seem a bit of a shock since throughout the last year everything I've heard makes the two sound almost the same.

I completely agree with franks "upgraded e-pL2" wish ...

12. mring1

mring1 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Phoenix, Arizona
    John Taska
    The E-1 round eyecup...

would be a great accessory to the E-M5. Might block the accessory port...not sure. But the OEM eyecup does let in stray light and the larger version, while good if you're wearing glasses, doesn't work well for folks without glasses.

13. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    For grins I just tried using my VF2 and the evf on my E-M5, I have my Pana 45mm 2l8 macro, and honestly I don't see any noticable difference, the colors are a bit off between the two but thats not a big deal. I began to wonder though, could it be the difference between the square viewfinder vs. the round viewfinder? perhaps the vf2 allows you to get a bit closer to the monitor which makes it easier to see? Just a theory...