1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OMD EVF bleeding

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JimUSNY, May 9, 2014.

1. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    My Em1- viewfinder is now getting the green blob bleeding, I had it happen on my EM5 also... how many of you have or have had this issue? if this looks like it is going to be an issue with EVF.. So far its happened in my warranty period on both, but if it just keeps happening how much will that cost you for replacement?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nope, not seen it on either cam.

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What is it actually?

4. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The green spot appeared in my E-M1's viewfinder yesterday. We were at the zoo shooting in a mix of sun and shade - nothing unusual. The spot wasn't there on one shot, then appeared on the next. It happened very quickly. I'm relieved to find that it doesn't appear on the rear LCD or on the photos, but it bothers me to have this fluorescent green blob in my viewfinder. The camera is going to have to be sent back for repair. I did a little digging online last night and found some posts on other forums about others having the same issue.

Not one of my best images, but you can get the idea of what the viewfinder screen now looks like. There is one large green blob visible in the photo plus 3 smaller ones that the photo didn't pick up.
    14064321637_46966f8158_b. 20140523_20 by j.murphy2, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
  6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Electronics *at a budget is the Achilles heel of modern cameras.

(* Design to cost, instead of design for reliability.)

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Bummer... EM1 is lcd not OLED. I thought it was OLED that had a strange dying phenomenom but it seems like a design fault on the LCD like an old Canon digital bodies that were plagued by this same fault. You sure it didn't happen because sunlight rays got into the EVF?

8. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    One person on DPR gave sunlight entering the viewfinder as the cause, but I honestly have a hard time with that. I can't believe any camera manufacturer would knowingly build a camera with such a frailty. I frequently shoot with two cameras, as do many other people. I shouldn't have to babysit the E-M1 to make sure stray sunlight doesn't hit the viewfinder, while I'm trying to concentrate on shooting with the second camera. No camera should be that needy. I often see people take their eye away from the viewfinder when using a tripod or monopod, so that's another avenue for an accidental light strike. And then there's the possibility that a heavier lens could tip the camera downward on the neck strap, leaving the viewfinder facing the sun, or those who carry their cameras on a wrist strap...the list goes on. There are just too many ways sunlight could accidentally strike the viewfinder.

It was also mentioned on DPR that nowhere in the E-M1 owner's manual does it warn about this happening. I haven't checked that out yet, but I will. My camera is on its way back to Olympus, but that brings up a conundrum: what to do with the camera when I get it back. I'd feel better if Oly recognized the problem and had a real resolution for it. My worry is that they'll just replace the part with another of the same, which basically fixes nothing, the problem can happen over and over. You pretty much have to fix it, otherwise the green bleeding may spread until the entire viewfinder becomes unusable. I love the camera, I just don't like feeling unsure of it.

9. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Yep that the same as I have only mine is to the left side and much bigger, covering 2/3rdfs of the evf... at least it happened to mine within warranty on both bodies, but if they haven't done anything to fix it I guess eventually it will come back, maybe they are trying to sell more extended warrantys :)

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it was from sunlight it would have to be for certain amount of time for it to actually start to burn into the display. It does sound feasible.

11. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I thought someone might be interested in an update. My E-M1 arrived back from repair today. Nothing was noted as to the cause of the spots, but the camera was repaired under warranty. The repair ticket lists the parts replaced as: EVF LCD and associated parts, FPC back unit, Frame Eyepiece unit. I don't know what the latter two parts are, but I guess they're part of the EVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've posted this in another forum and it went over like a lead (Pb) balloon,
    In the VF-4s' Owners Manual it states,

"Warnings: Safety Precautions
    Do not expose the inside to sunlight directly through the eye lens."

I've always guessed the E-P5 shares EVF's with the E-M1? My old Nikon D2h had an eyepiece shutter you could close, even my D90 had a slip on plastic eyepiece cover though both were meant to keep extraneous light from effecting exposure while using a remote release. Maybe Olympus could provide, at the least, an eyepiece cover.

13. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There are no such warnings in the E-M1's manual. They included warnings like don't put liquid crystals in your mouth if the LCD should break, don't store the camera with insect repellent, you can't print movies, and using your fingernails to turn the grip's locking knob may result in injury, but there's not a word about sunlight causing damage to the viewfinder. The Olympus website advertises the camera as a rugged, go anywhere, any weather, any time camera "able to withstand heavy professional use." ...just not in sunlight.

If this turns out to be a weakness of the EVF and not a material defect, then it's not ready to be a professional grade camera. I honestly don't see an eyepiece cover being a practical solution for most people. I guess when I have the camera on a tripod shooting macros, I'd be mindful of the cover, but when I'm on the run shooting something fast-paced, or shooting with two cameras, it's not going to happen. I'm hoping this is just a bad batch of EVF components. If not, Olympus needs a better solution.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    Judy its definitely sunlight doing it, yesterday I found out for sure when I let my guard down, it may also have something to do with what diopter setting you use.. mine is one notch from the full + side

15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Yes, I know sunlight is the culprit. My point was that the problem shouldn't exist in a camera advertised as "able to withstand heavy professional use."

I take my camera out and use it, just not as freely as I thought when I bought it. I frequently shoot with two cameras, meaning one is hanging free while I'm shooting with the other. My mind isn't on the camera I'm not using, it's on the one in my hand.

16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Well, I've had my camera for a while now and it's spent plenty of time nose-down in sunlight and nothing has happened to the EVF. Perhaps there was an issue with a batch of EVF LCDs in the beginning or the diopter lens design was changed during production?

There haven't been many reported cases. Kind-of like the iPhone 6 "bend-gate" ... it was less than 20 people yet the internet has a habit of running with complaints and making them look like complete product failures.

On the other hand, I could see sunlight, focused a certain way, could actually destroy the otherwise unprotected CMOS sensor. It's no different from the bad old days when people who had cameras with cloth shutters were warned not to walk around leaving their lenses uncapped and set to Infinity...

17. pault

pault Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Hi
    I had this problem and the diopter setting was one notch from the full + side.
    A chap who frequents this site by the name Daniel Bradley deliberately tested his E-M1 to prove the point and confirmed the diopter setting was part of the problem and if this was set to a middle setting I.E. zero
    then the sun didn't cause the problem.
    Hope this helps

18. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, this was also re-producible by someone on the DPR forums. Again, related to diopter setting. It is interesting that Judy also had this happen on another body...yet vast majority of users have never had it occur over several years use. So, it looks very much like people using the problem range of diopter settings are the ones seeing the issue.
    Although Olympus must address this, (hopefully not just with some legalize warning in the userguide), I can understand how it might have gotten past the standard technical testing.

19. JimUSNY

JimUSNY Mu-43 Regular

Nov 5, 2013
    Mid Hudson Valley NY
    Jim
    It is also not a bad batch of TFT screens, this is my second one in same body, unless I was lucky enough to get two from same bad batch... as for pointing at the sun, I try to be careful, but I can not see how they expect you not to take pics with the sun behind you or shoot in the shade all the time, I could understand it of it took 15 minutes or so to happen, but I swear this was a split second mistake on my part.. again if anyone doubts it give it a try, set your diopter to + 6 and point evf at the sun for a second, thats all it takes, just be prepared to wish you didnt :) Then I heard of another that tried it intentionally at all settings and it did not occur, all I know is it sucks if it does

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If I was doing my regular news and sports work that I did some years ago, my two bodies would be in for repair almost weekly. No pro in Australia (at any time of the year) could use the E-M1 without the EVF burning if, like me, they preferred to use the camera without wearing glasses and needed the dioptre turned up.

• Like Like x 1