1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 with Lumix 7-14 --Kick A$$ combo - landscape shot Part ||

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PhilS, Feb 2, 2014.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    This is the last time I blow my own trumpet ( I hope) ..I am always amazed at what I can get out of this camera.

All images taken ETTR and adjusting highlights/shadows/whites/blacks.

Photos taken at Fingal Heads. Northern New South Wales as part of the Queensland Landscape MeetUp group. It was a cracker of a sunrise combined with an excellent location.

Second last image taken with Voigtlander 25mm and Vari ND filter. Went to town in Photoshop. Thought I would have some fun.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/12246123185/player/bb3695eb27" height="682" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/12246189495/player/74e82ba9bc" height="687" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/12246141763/player/5f23d35de9" height="675" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/12246421045/player/d92fd3d0be" height="576" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/95752256@N03/12246973316/player/943904541d" height="633" width="1024" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 42
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    All award winning shots! :cool:

3. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Wow...spectacular...

4. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    Absolutely amazing!

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And award will be FF Sony A7R lol..Anyway I agree ..those are spectacular shots :thumbup::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  6. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    thanks for the positive comments.

I wish I had the SA7R and an appropriate lens for landscape work. The extra pixels would certainly not go astray.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Wonderful images! I'm still taking the OM-D and out and about for exactly these types of situations (mostly on vacations, considering I don't live near a place where you get these kinds of seascapes in the morning...) I'm really looking forward to putting the A7r through its paces properly for landscape, will probably be stitched stuff only until Sony/Zeiss release an ultrawide. I have an Oly 21/3.5 to tide me over until then, though. The E-M1/A7r pair beautifully, IMO.

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Great images, keep blowing that trumpet of yours :)

I do notice some water droplets on the fourth image though. One is particularly noticeable in the middle cloud. I wonder if you could clone that out with photoshop?

9. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

Amazing shots, all ! That's imressive ;)

How do you manage the purple flare of the 7-14/EM-5 combo?

I had the lens for a few weeks, like it a lot, but they were a lot of scenarii where this problem arouse and I ended selling the lens...

Maybe they're some sample variations, but concerning my combo, it was too often, sadly.

10. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Hazwing.. the water drops are pretty annoying.. I guess I will remove them as they are distracting.. a task for another day I think

jpp : re the purple flair. I think that happens when the light intensity is high, ie shooting into or close to very brightly light sources . These images where taken at 4:30-5am so the purple dread did not occur. Its actually a friends lens. He took it to Europe and shot a lot of indoor scenes and the purple flair was there.. very annoying actually.

mattia.. how do you find the SA7r??, do you have any photos on display ??

• Like Like x 1
  11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I've only had the A7r for a month, still waiting for RAW support from DxO before I upload stuff. It's also been terrible weather (wet, cold and grey) which isn't great for landscape. I love the image quality and size, and the two native primes are really quite stunning. Will try to get a few shots up this week, time permitting. Still think the E-M1/E-M5 are more well rounded and flexible cameras. But as far as pocket size 'medium format' rigs go...just wow.

12. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Very nice shots! I used the 7-14 on the E-M5 and E-P5 a couple of times and it is great. I am curious to see what will be the Olympus extreme wide angle zoom that they are currently working on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    mattia.. the SA7r has really got my interest, what landscape lens will you be getting.. the FE 24-70mm?

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    These are some beautiful landscapes. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I am waiting for some reviews on the 24-70 - my 24-105/4.0 was possibly my most used lens on my Canon system, and a lot of my landscapes are stitched panos, which the FE 35/2.8 or 55/1.8 can both handle with aplomb. I have an adapted Oly OM 21/3.5 that I need to give a good test run. I'm still trying to find the best balance between the MFT and A7r systems at the wider end. At the longer end it will always be the Oly, but in terms of ultrawide I think I'll wait and see what Sony and Zeiss deliver. Interested in both the FE autofocus lineup and Zeiss native MF options. Fell in love with the contax primes the moment I shot one, and really love the character of the new sonnars. The 55/1.8 is quite magical in an understated way.

• Like Like x 1
  16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    These are indeed great shots Phil (although personally, I'd have turned down the HDR and saturation - but that's just a personal thing). Once you've got that A7R, where do you get a 7-14 equivalent?

• Like Like x 1
  17. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    Paul.. thanks for the input.. the images are not HDR just straight from the sensor. Just played with the highlights/whites/blacks/shadows and a bit of post in PS.. except for #4 which I gave a royal treatment. keep in mind these images were taken between 4am and 5am in the morning so it was still pretty dark. Regarding the 7-14 equiv.. I will wait to see how the camera/lens line up evolves. I am in no hurry to get an SA7r although my heart says otherwise.

mattia.. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open regarding the camera and its lenses.. will be interesting to see how it evolves. Enjoy your baby :)

18. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    PhilS--Terrific work.

The EM5/7-14 combination is indeed spectacular. Its one major fault was the purple flare problem, but that's been entirely solved by adding the rear filter holder and a Wratten 2A gel. I haven't seen purple flare since. Pretty much mandatory for use of this lens with Olympus cameras.

I'll be interested to hear what life with the AR7 is like. I could see this being the "camera of the future" for me, but not for a couple of generations. Needs more lenses, more speed, and possibly IBIS, before it could substitute for my MFT system. Assuming Sony gets there, I'll have to weigh the benefit of switching--which I see as being able to print about 40% bigger--against the size, weight and cost disadvantages.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    "I'll be interested to hear what life with the AR7 is like. I could see this being the "camera of the future" for me, but not for a couple of generations. Needs more lenses, more speed, and possibly IBIS, before it could substitute for my MFT system. Assuming Sony gets there, I'll have to weigh the benefit of switching--which I see as being able to print about 40% bigger--against the size, weight and cost disadvantages."

I hear you cmpatt, I hear you :)

20. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I rented the 7-14 for use with my EM5, and liked it a lot. However, it did suffer from the purple flare issue, so I never bought one. Good to hear that there now is a solution. Would you have links to the rear filter holder and the gel? How does the filter holder and gel get attached between the lens and camera?

Oh - and to the OP -- fantastic images!

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1