1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 video. Horrible flicker -- solved

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dansunotori, Aug 20, 2012.

1. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Hi everybody!

I haven't found an answer to my problem anywhere on the interwebs so I decided to share it with you in case you experience the same issue.

Yesterday I was shooting video for the first time with OMD. When I got home I realised that about an hour of valuable footage is ruined by random flicker and exposure changes.

I tried everything in the morning: AEL, full manual mode etc. but nothing would help.

The solution is to switch off auto-grading. Surprise! It isn't that easy in video mode so I had to switch to Av and change it from the SCP.

I am considering saving different MySets for stills and videos. And maybe one for tripod as well.

2. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Interesting. Do you have a sample video demonstrating the before and after effects of disabling auto-gradation?

R

3. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Hopefully tomorrow if I don't forget to :)

4. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I'd be interested in seeing this as well!

5. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    Haven't done it yet, sorry. It is visible better in challenging lighting conditions, not on a cloudy day. But took this one today just to demonstrate something. It is shot with "Grading — Auto". Pay attention to the road's surface, it shows terrible liquid-like shadow artefacts. Should the Grading be fixed, it wouldn't be there.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITvz1EufhmA]OM-D E-M5 Auto Grading Flicker - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  6. davidleetong

davidleetong Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    David from iPhotocourse.com
    It's like it's trying to bump up the shadows... does this happen only in grey areas?

7. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    It definitely looks so. It happens in areas of any colour when brightness changes.

8. LoNePeAcE

LoNePeAcE Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2012
    Thanks for posting this, as I just ran into the same thing when I shot some footage yesterday. I have now set the Gradation from Auto to Normal, glad to find the solution to this flicker issue right away.

9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Thanks again for posting this. Will change my video MySet to Normal Gradation. Much appreciated.

10. geraldft

geraldft New to Mu-43

Sep 13, 2012
    Might seem a silly question but I can't find any menu item called "grading". Where is this???

I did find something called "gradation" (in the onscreen menu when I press Ok) - though weirdly this is not in the normal main menu - what a nightmare of a system!

With video recording I constantly get seemingly random flashes which look like exposure shifts. With manual exposure and manual white balance these are reduced but still appear from time to time for no obvious reason.

BTW - can you change the name of the mysets?

11. dansunotori

dansunotori Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 20, 2012
    It is "Gradation" and I apologise for misleading you :) It is actually on the main menu and is set separately for every picture mode: Vivid, iAuto, etc.

Do you watch in on a Mac with QuickTime? If yes then I suggest trying VLC and seeing if the problem remains. Also, ISO must be fixed too for truly manual control

Eeh,.. nope! (surprise!) Truth be told, custom naming for MySets is one of the most requested features.

12. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    I have the same problem and its not going away!! Everything is on manual n also gradation is on normal yet often when i pan or zoom I get that flicker or chane in light discribed here :( Helpppppp..

13. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It could be the camera. I had to send mine in to Olympus and get it replaced.

14. scandens

scandens New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    video flicker fixed?

gsciorio, did you mean you had your om-d serviced due to video flickering while zooming issue? Did service or replacement camera result in flicker-free video zoom? I have had this issue since day 1, very annoying, and none of the suggested fixes such as exposure lock, full manual settings, manual zooming, manual focus, gradient off etc. make the slightest difference.

15. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Silly me lol! ok I think i figured the flicker problem related to zooming part (I think coz I haven't check yet). Although everything was on manual in my case, I forgot that the kit lens I was using (the 12-50mm) doesn't have fixed max aperture for all focal lengths. I guess it was shifting from 3.5 to 6.3 or whatever..That still doesn't explain the panning part though..Need to shoot some more video soon:)

16. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    No flickering while zooming. The camera was defective and was replaced. New camera works like it should.

Here's an example and I got another on my vimeo - https://vimeo.com/51770205

17. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
  18. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Looks good to me. What we're seeing here is the cameras auto exposure adjust for the change in brightness from the floor to the window. Totally normal.

Keep in mind that even if you are in manual exposure "M" for stills, when you push the record button the camera will go back to auto exposure even though it will not tell you this.

The work around is this -
    1 - Set your exposure using the "M" mode on the top exposure dial and shoot your stills.

2 - Now when you want to record video with the same exact settings turn the exposure dial to the video mode (the camera icon) and hit the record button.

Although having to do this work around makes no sense I'm sure Olympus set it up this way so that anyone can shoot video and get a decent exposure.

Keep in mind that any video shot with a shutter speed above 1/60th can have a bit of a choppy look to it but I never let that stop me from shooting video.

G

19. nagual

nagual Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you so much, gsciorio ... good tips

• Like Like x 1
  20. scandens

scandens New to Mu-43

Jan 5, 2013
    I would agree the video by nagual does not display the zoom flicker issue, but I'm not sure I saw any zooming being done!

One other aspect of this issue that is obvious in the nagual video though is that the camera can make fairly dramatic changes to white balance while in video mode; here you can see the color of the wall shifting substantially. In some situations this can be disconcerting; the fix is to make sure that auto white balance is disabled and white balance is fixed for the color you want before starting to do video. But even with EVERY setting fixed (focus, iso, wb, shutter, and aperture at say f8 so it should not change due to aperture shift during zooming) I still get pronounced video flicker with zoom. Tried another om-d with same kit lens in store, saw same flicker with video while zooming.