1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Omd em5 upgrade to dx dslr ;;;

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by PantelisMor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello.. I am owner of omd em5. I am thinking to go for dslr DX. Do you believe is a good idea. Which nikon or canon body you think that will be an upgrade ;: what cameras in these two brands are the kings ;; Thx a lot...

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It is hard to make recommendations if the problem that you are trying to solve is not clear. Can you be a bit more specific what you are trying to solve/accomplish? Also, what type of shooting to you do?

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Arguably, the two best APS-C bodies now are the Nikon D7100 and the Pentax K3 or K5. Add maybe the Sony A77 or the Canon 7D. None would give you a difference you could see in practice. I just came from the D7000 and D600, and while the D600 had more detail, my OM-D E-M1 and E-P5 make better photos straight out of the camera. That is to MY preference however, yours may vary. I found Olys see the way I do, and consistently give me images that match what my mind's eye expected when I took them. I also have not missed the massive file sizes of FF.

I will say this though. I DO miss Nikon's flash system. They have the most accurate flash/ambient balancing with the least effort.

Most would agree that image quality alone would not be a good reason to go from m4/3 to APS-C. If I needed to get that ONE shot, and a D7100 and OM-D E-M1 were in front of me, I'd grab the Oly (unless it required a flash...).

• Like Like x 1
  4. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi,

It depends on what you mean 'upgrade'. To some, a move from a 5d mark iii to an O-MD is an upgrade , to others a move to a Sony RX1 is an upgrade. Cameras are a highly subjective things and each camera carries with it it's own set of compromises; especially 35mm!
    In what areas are you hoping to get an 'upgrade'. Sports shooting? Use of longer/faster telephoto prime lenses? Use of a different flash system ?
    If you provide us with more info we can provide better answers :)

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    IMHO, the only ways in which a DSLR will be an upgrade from an E-M5 would be if one of these is important to you:

- You need better tracking AF (sports, action, BIF etc)
    - You need super, super high ISO performance
    - You want tethered studio shooting

Do any apply?

• Like Like x 3
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    D7100, I believe, is the one to look at. Nikon's entry-level models (D3xxx) are disappointingly plastic in build, like the original D40 that I used to use. I still have fond attachments toward that camera, but am getting spoiled by M4/3 metal camera bodies.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA

As an FX, former DX and m4/3 user, I think you have nailed it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. jsusilo

jsusilo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    One more thing 24.1MP vs 16.1MP if printing (larger) size is of your priorities.

9. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello

I am very happy for your comments.

I usually shot landscape photos and portraits. I like macro. Rarely shoot sports and nights.
    My requirements are sharp and high quality photos. Nice colours. Also I want landscape photos with good DOF.

Any advise will be helpful.

I menton, i sell my Nikon D5100 in order to buy my EM5

Thx a lot…

10. Okay, but I'm not sure if those requirements would be better served by going back to a DSLR. Do you simply want more resolution than 16mp? I can zoom in further on the images from my Samsung NX300 (20mp sensor) and see slightly more detail because it records more pixels but I don't think that it makes a lot of practical difference.

11. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I can see advantages to the D7100 over the E-M5 (I own a D7000 and E-M5). However, I find myself using the Nikon less and less all the time (as in: not for several months now). The last two times were when I wanted to use my 80-200/2.8 lens, as I don't have a fast lens of that length for m43. I could fix that problem pretty easily by selling that one and buying the 35-100/2.8, but haven't actually gotten the nerve to completely cut the string to Nikon DX yet.

In talking to one of my photo buddies yesterday, I mentioned that I will probably never upgrade my DX body again. At some point I might get FX stuff, but the difference between DX and m43 in IQ is just not big enough - at least the way I shoot - to make it worthwhile.

12. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I consider changing from Pentax K-5 to Olympus E-M5 an upgrade. Olympus nails focus where Pentax would miss it. I wouldn't have an APS-C camera unless I liked the images a lot more than those of the E-M5, and I haven't found that camera.

13. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Are you implying that you came from a Nikon D5100 and found it wasn't as sharp as you want and so you went into a E-M5 system and found that it isn't delivering sharp photos, so now you want to jump to another DX camera?

You are aware that photography is a 2 dimensional art and that sharpness is basically a perception based on depth of field. So in theory, if you want more sharpness or DOF, you would want to go with a smaller sensor NOT bigger, so a m43 would still be a better choice. No?

14. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    There isn't an appreciable difference in IQ from the D5100 to any of the current DX bodies. Sensor tech has stalled a bit on DX.

15. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    My two favorite apsc cameras are the D7100 and K-3, but as others have mentioned, it really depends on what you're trying to achieve. Maybe try renting one of those cameras (arguably the best apsc sensors at the moment) and see how the images compare to your em5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Any camera mentioned including the E-M5 can do all of those things with the right lenses. I can't say there's a DX/APS-C camera in existence that I would choose over a micro four thirds cam.

Full frame is a different story - my A7r is an ideal landscape camera (tripod, not handheld since you need to stop down twice as for for the same DOF at any given focal length) and great for portraits. But the native lens range kind of sucks right now.

Most importantly: what lenses are using with the E-M5? Because most if the kit glass is uninspiring at best, IMO..

17. Hypnotic Love

Hypnotic Love New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    I think if you want to get a DX DSLR, personally I'd just go full frame and use both m43 and full frame side by side, each assuming a different purpose. No sense in going half way with DX when you can just go all the way with full frame.

• Like Like x 1
  18. PantelisMor

Jan 14, 2013
    Hiii.

I use my oly 17 mm 1,8 and pan 14-45. I propably stay with my omd and i will buy pan 35-100 2,8

19. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Neither the 17 nor the 14-45 is going to give you much DoF unless you are close. Thats probably your dilemma. If you are doing portraits and want that FF look I would go with the Oly 45 1.8 or Oly 75 1.8. The 35-100 is good too but if you want the sharpest pictures, I would stick with Oly lenses IMO because the E-M5 will make correction in camera. The 60mm is a good inexpensive alternative as well as it does nice portraits and you gain a macro lens as well.

20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Both of those lenses will give plenty of depth of field. Especially when stopped down a bit.

Fred