OMD EM5 Sensor Made By Sony

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Aegon, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    43rumors reports that Yahoo Japan says that Olympus President Sasa says that the E-M5 sensor is made by Sony!
    43 Rumors

I had a strong feeling that this was the case.

2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I guess I'm glad it's not just some some tweaked out Panny sensor, though I'm not really sure I know why...

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    This was reported prior the its release.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If I had known that (and if it is true), I would never have bought the E-M5...after Sony's defective garbage sensor that was in just about every camera (including Olympus) a few years back:
    Widespread Sony made CCD problems in consumer imaging products

..I'd swore I'd never a camera with a piece of garbage Sony sensor.

If it is a Sony sensor, it certainly explains "tohara's" cracked sensor:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f42/cracked-omd-sensor-cover-28093/

Wish we could go back to using Kodak sensors (with today's tecknology).

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You do know that the kodak sensors in the Leica M9 had a fairly significant problem with sensors cracking? It's not limited to just Sony. But hey, if you don't want to use the best CMOS sensors currently available, who are we to stop you.

Gordon

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios

I have to ask, is this a serious or tongue in cheek post? Are you aware that your first link is from 2007?

About the Sony sensor, there was speculation prior to the release of the OM-D that this was the case. Indeed, it was even rumored that the technology used would be something similar to this:

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony Develops New “RGBW Coding” and “HDR Movie” Functions

Nobody can say for sure, except for major sensor surgery involved... I find it difficult to believe the OM-D has some kind of RGBW sensor, although it would be the easiest way to explain why it gains more than a stop DR from Panasonics most advanced sensor to date.

Competition is always good. I dare say, with Sony getting more involved with Olympus, I'm eager to see what the next OM-D camera (EM-7?) will have inside.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I reckon if Nikon can use them, then I'm happy to have the Sony sensor in my E-M5 too. I know that I can get much lower light photos than I can with my E30 & the resolution is nice too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I decided to boycott Sony products after that whole CD root thing a few years ago- look like they managed to get my money indirectly after all :wink:

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Can't say I expected that. I suppose it fits though, considering the general performance characteristics. Funny how these things work out. I guess that answers the question of whether the GH3 will offer similar IQ.

DH

10. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I consider this good news: Olympus has access to probably the finest sensors that are available these days. I hope Panasonic will prove to be up to the challenge.

11. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I know my first link is old, actually 2005...I was using C-series cameras back then, and I remember how Sony screwed Olympus users over in that Olympus owners were LAST on the list to get replacement sensors. Of course Sony took care of all their own products first and let everyone else wait in turn.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I believe the RGBW tech was designed primarily for smartphone class sensors, so I do not think it's in use for any ILC. You're just seeing Sony's latest basic CMOS tech versus Panasonic's best efforts. I guess Pana really was lagging behind. Very much curious to see what the DXO numbers look like.

That said, I am really surprised. Did not think Oly had the volume for Sony to bother producing their sensors. Maybe it's an extension of the sensor side work for the RX100 or something. Maybe the fabs are just more flexible than expected. Either way, let's hope this compels Panasonic to up their game as well.

13. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Great news. Now I can continue taking crappy pictures with the knowledge that I have a Sony senor... and still enjoy every click of the shutter.

14. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I bet Sony's next generation of IBIS will be 5-Axis and their JPEG engine will get a needed upgrade.

15. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Well, I guess its crow for lunch today!

16. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I have had a number of cameras, both DSLR and pocket cameras, and never had a problem with the sensor.

17. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    If there were any kind of real problem here, you can be sure it would be posted in every internet forum by scores of owners. Without further developments, it looks like the cracked sensor referred to above is a one-off instance of pure bad luck.

18. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I just don't like Sony. I used to repair electronics including Sony. Nothing can change the way I feel.

19. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    If Olympus is true to their past, they'll be using the same sensor in any new bodies for a while. That lets them order more than they'd expect to ship in just the EM5.

If the technology is the same as used in other sensors the fabs can be pretty flexible.

Fred

20. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    With this and the huge investment that Sony is making in Olympus, I wonder how long it will be until Olympus becomes "A Sony Company".