1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 overexposure problem with artificial lights

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ivanisevic82, Dec 14, 2013.

1. ivanisevic82

ivanisevic82 New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2013
    Hello, sorry for my english, I hope you understand me.
    I bought few week ago a OMD EM5 (before I had a Pana G3) and I have a problem for the exposure with artificial light, in the night.

Is difficult to explain in english, but look at this photo to understand better:

Esposizione.

As you can see, with normal EV I have a completly burned photo.
    I must underexpose untill - 2EV in order to have a correct exposure.

I have all option in default, exposure mode is on "ESP".

With Pana G3 there was not this problem.

But also with a simply smartphone...look at there

EsposizioneSmart.

Is it normal for a so celebrated camera that has such an important issue in the exposure in certain situations?

I hope you can help me, thank you!

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The problem with any sort of 'averaging' meter mode - such as ESP - is that it is trying to get a sort of grey image. So it is pretty natural for any 'average' meter mode to over expose an image like this.

Really you should spot meter the statue. You can make one of the function buttons a spot meter.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's right, because it is the statue that is the subject here & not the night sky, hence the only way to get correct metering of the statue would be to use Spot Metering (on the statue).

I use the Fn1 button for AEL which is set as Spot Metering since this is the only time I would use AEL.

4. ivanisevic82

ivanisevic82 New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2013
    Thank you guys, I will try.
    But I have same doubt still...why with my G3 in ESP function I had not this problem?

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    what is your focus method?

if you have face detection on it's possible that the camera has recognised the face on the statue and performed AF on that.............?

the relevance is that if it has, and you are metering in ESP, the camera will override the full ESP and, instead, expose for the face

looking at the image at EV0 this looks a distinct possibility here

6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Agreed. I'm also share the same problem but after that i also used spot metering.

7. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Spotmeter, auto-exposure lock on an readily availabe button, and over- or under compensate where needed. In my opinion the best way in general, and really easy with a good evf such as in the em5. No more such problems.

Patrick K

8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

No camera actually "thinks" :) I stick to ESP - but almost as a rule, when shooting city scenes at night with dark skies and city lights, I dial at least -1EV. Even without confusing surfaces, I find it that the E-M5 has a tendency to overexpose in the dark.

OP - if you're not looking for advice, then ignore this, however: Either using the spot meter then and there, or using exposure compensation, requires to think a little bit more about the lighting conditions in the pictures you take. Cameras are still pretty stupid. So this comes with experience - you learn pretty quickly that the picture you see in the viewfinder is NOT the same as the one you'll find on the SD card. Until you're so good at this that you don't need to check your pictures (which I am not), it does help to at least take a test shot and view it. Exposure bracketing was invented for film photography - and not because people did HDR on film ;) but to allow taking multiple exposures at a critical moment, in case if the middle one isn't right.