1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 or G3 or do i wait for olympus announcement

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, May 27, 2012.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I held both cameras today and they feel solid and light, but the OMD is a little heavier and harder for me to hold than the g3. If i use the G3 with my EPM1 kit lens, do i have to worry about the image stabilzation? will my images be bllury with it or no? Should i just wait for the olympus annoucement to see if something better is coming. I want a camera that i can use a viewfinder and a flash at the same time and is better in low light than my EPM1. Is it worth dropping all my equipment and getting a sony NEX? or is it not as good as the mico 4/3 camera system?

2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    My motto is that it never hurts to see what else is coming. If you don't need an on-camera flash and an EVF for something specific, save your money. Of course, that's only my motto because otherwise I'd blow every paycheck on day 1 with new toys...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    NEX lens system is not developped enough yet imho.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I really doubt there is any new body coming from Olympus. I am sure they have shot their wad on the EM5 and all the lenses coming out.

There is almost certainly a new body coming from Panasonic, although it won't have IBIS.

The lens will work fine on the G3. Practically all the iconic shots ever published were taken without IS. With the improved ISO in the G3, it's easy to get fast shutter speeds.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    You should invest in better lenses rather than a new body. That's my two cents.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    NEX is good for MF lenses, and not a tremendous lot more, IMO, except fringed 24mm shots or soft kit lens shots

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

Precisely !!

If all you have is the kit lens (as per your sig) then man you are missing out on a hell of a lot !!! ...seriously mate, just try the 20/1.7 or the 45/1.8 before you go doing something cray-zee like jumping ship.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    But then you could be waiting forever =)

• Like Like x 1
  9. adic88

adic88 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    M43 is outstanding, as a camera system. There are certainly different systems out there which are good as well, but doesn't detract anything from M43.

I will echo what others have said, and buy more lenses. In the long run, lenses are a great way to protect your investment into a system. Camera bodies come and go (unless you're very very rich, there will be no way to keep up), but lenses stay eternal. A good lens today will be a good lens 30 years from now.

10. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    I have the M5 and love it. It clearly has better image quality at higher ISOs and more effective stabilization than my Oly PM1. I would not own a camera without built in stabilization. I want that feature for all my lenses, including my wide angle lenses. The M5's ability to show the stabilized image in the viewfinder while composing is a real bonus with longer lenses, when compared to previous Olympic Micro cameras.

11. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    Agree here also, for $1000, if that is your top budget, can buy you the 20mm and 45mm, and will be a great addition.. DON'T look either as an overlapping problem, because these are faster primes, and will open a whole world of handheld indoor and lower light shooting not possible with a kit, unless you use flash. Shooting available light with fast glass will awww you with the results.

12. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I though OMD was a bit too heavy to hold too when I looked at it in the store. I think that extra grip that Olympus sells separately would help a lot to make it more balanced. At which point the camera becomes so much more expensive than the G3 that it's not fair :)

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'm not sure the differences in IQ are as big as folks like to think. Look at the entire Olympus and Panasonic product lines from the E-P1 and GF1 to the E-P3 and GF3. They all use the same sensor and despite folks insisting that they are big differences between them, I have owned the E-P1 (twice), E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1, E-P3, GF2 and G2 (twice) and if it wasn't in listed in the file data in Lightroom I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. The most significant differences I see between different models I have owned is how they feel, how they handle, some features (such as does it have an EVF), and price. It isn't until you get to the GH1, GH2, G3 and OMD where they jump up to the 16mp sensor that you see differences but even then those cameras are all very close in IQ as well.

If you like the way the G3 feels then trust your instincts. Is there a better camera out there? Yes, there is ALWAYS a better camera out there but unless you are using it it isn't making any difference in your life. IMHO cameras like the G3 and GH2 are tremendous values right now because of all of the excitement over the OMD. Besides I have come to realize you do more for the quality of your images with better glass and practice than the differences between various bodies (it took owning 9 bodes for it to sink in with me :eek:).

• Like Like x 1
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The G3 ticks pretty much all the boxes you mention. I'd get the kit (G3 + 14-42). Then you can decide which of the two 14-42 lenses to keep and which to sell.

Olympus will likely announce updates to their existing Pen lineup at the end of the summer, but whatever it is, it will undoubtedly be more expensive than the G3 is today. Moreover if you want both an external flash and an EVF, you're going to have difficulties.

DH

15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    That's the idea! Eventually I'll have a specific need (I bought the 12 for real estate, for example) and sometimes I get such a GASsy buildup that I can't resist, but for the most part it keeps me from going crazy.

16. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The E-M5 cannot even be delivered in sufficient quantities and some forum experts already want to wait for a new camera. :rofl:

17. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    They are not that big. Although I can see a significant improvement to the old sensor, I don't see any significant differences between the latest cameras with µ4/3 and APS-C sensors. On the other hand, the difference between using a great lens and a mediocre one on my E-PL1 is rather big and much more relevant than all those differences in sensor performance.

• Like Like x 2
  18. fgbrault

fgbrault Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
  19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Agreed, the biggest differences I see are when I change glass. When it comes to a camera body I tend to go with what's comfortable and easy to use. If the camera stays out of my way and let's me do what I want with a minimum of fiddling them I like it. I don't care if a new body can stop time and make folks look younger, if it's uncomfortable to use It'll sit on the shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Shade

Shade Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    I will second that, but I personally feel the latest em-5 is a stepup compared to the ep series in several departments. Although they might not be a theatrical breakthrough in improvements wise, but they are good to me. Glass is definitely a huge factor too.

But if the latest one can stop time, I'd definitely buy one (two even), just for that function. I wouldnt even care if it doesnt contain a sensor inside lol..