OMD EM5- New users seeking tips and advice.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by IL2AZ, Jan 19, 2013.

1. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    So, I just received my omd em5 last night, and have had just a little bit of time to acquaint myself with what seems like quite an intimidating set of controls and settings. I hate to admit it, but activating the SCP took me awhile. Coming from a Canon DSLR format (50D), I'm finding that the advancements in technology have created a new learning curve, though I am excited about that. What I'm having some trouble with now is setting the camera, so that the live view, and use of the SCP, is my main shooting format, but also having the ability to engage the EVF, because I'm so used to that option. I heard there was a way to set the camera, so that it would engage the EVF when you put your eye to it. I'd appreciate some instruction with that. Beyond that though, I'm curious about and would love some tips that would help me get better acclimated to my new camera. I'm also curious who else still shoots using two formats (I.e, old school dslr and m43? Do you plan to continue doing so, or have you made a complete transition? I'm not quite at the point where I can commit to a whole new format, but only time will tell I guess. I'm new to this forum too, so I think I'll have lots of questions. Thanks!

2. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
  3. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks, I did see that article, and it is a good one. Still haven't figured out the auto EVF though. I tend to stumble upon things though by tooling around too. What format were you coming from?

4. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    I haven't found out the way of keeping the SCP on automatically. I always push the centre button to bring it up. The auto EVF has always been there for me… I don't even know how to turn it off?

Hopefully someone here can clear that up for you.

I was coming from a cropped sensor 1000D. It was my entry level DSLR that I had for four years. I was going to switch to a Nikon D7000 having understood the basics of photography firmly with the 1000D, but I heard the EM5 has the same image quality as the D7000 and the size swung me more than anything else… it's a great camera. I'm not a pro or anything though, here's my best 1000D shots on my 500px.com account though, from Canada.

Hope you enjoy your new OM-D and I'll definitely peruse this thread as it gains new posts.

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Check out:

Turning OFF the Auto EVF/LCD Switch | Olympus E-M5 Resource Blog

Shows how to turn the EVF on/off. If on, the eye sensor should power the EVF on when your eye gets close, and switch to the rear screen when the eye is removed.

(I have mine powered 'off' - to go to the rear view (which I don't do very often) I have to push the small button on the side of the EVF to toggle between the two).

HTH

Jim

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    On the right side of the viewfinder is a little button. Press it for 5 seconds. You get the menu where you can select the auto switch w/o having to search for it in the regular menu.

If the auto switch is off, users access the viewfinder by pressing that button briefly. However, review or menu always brings up the LCD no matter how the autoswitch is set.

If you want to see review or menu in the viewfinder, autoswitch must be off first. Then after invoking either mode, you can press the button to direct it to the EVF.

7. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for posting this thread OP. Some good links have been posted at a result for people new to the camera such as myself.

8. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    These are some great references and tips, so thanks everyone. Here's where I'm at with the EVF toggle though, I can pull up the SCP on the LCD screen no problem. When I press the button next to the EVF, I can see how you turn on Auto-EVF, that's great too. What I was hoping to be able to do is leave the Auto-EVF on, but still have the live view image displayed on the LCD when I take my eye away. Now, if I have the Auto-EVF engaged, when I take my eye away, I'm able to control the settings on the LCD, but I do not get a live view, the screen is just black. Am I missing another setting? Thanks again everyone!

9. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Sounds like you don't have auto-evf on... Try holding down the evf toggle button until a menu comes up. Then change the setting setting on that menu to auto

10. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    It's strange, I definitely have the EVF set to auto, and it comes on when I put my eye to the finder, but the live view isn't on when it disengages. Not a huge deal, as I'm hoping to not use EVF as much, just don't like not knowing how to make it work the way I would like it to, perhaps both views aren't an option?

11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Are you seeing the SCP? Give the EVF button on the viewfinder housing a single push. Then you should see live view when the camera goes back to LCD.

I believe that button toggles between live view and SCP, Toggle not affected by power on/off. So even if you don't have the SCP enabled to come on with the OK button, you can get the SCP that way in many of the shooting modes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. IL2AZ

IL2AZ Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 19, 2013
    Thanks Harry, now, I've got it! Toggling the button on the EVF housing did it, so I have live view on the LCD and when I go to the EVF. Funny how foreign little setting like this seem when you're coming from a different format. I remember when the 50D seemed confusing. It's nice to build a working knowledge of two different systems. Thanks again, hope to be able to pass some knowledge along too in the near future.

13. hydro

hydro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Randy Hyde
    I got the E-M5 this summer to go with my Nikon D7000. I wanted a small camera to carry in my briefcase. Have used the Oly almost exclusively since then, if for no other reason than to learn the camera. I find it less intuitive than the Nikon. Yesterday, I took my D7K to a bowling outing with a group from church, figuring it would be better for action shots. I have the battery grip w/ AAs and was taken aback out how big and heavy it was. But my, what nice pictures. I'm very pleased with both and plan to use them both, depending on the circumstances. But the Oly goes with me everywhere I go.