1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OMD EM5 MK ii ? about carry around lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Tall Guy, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    Just a little background. About a month ago i bought a nikon d750 with a 50mm 1.8 prime. I started looking for a zoom to go with it so i ended up getting the nikon 24-120 f4 lens. This setup is 24mp full frame. I wasn't too happy with the weight nor the image clarity at 1:1. My son in law has an olympus OMD EM10 and Ive seen some nice shots that he has taken with the 25mm prime. So i ordered the EM5 MK ii with the 12-40 f2.8 and also the 60mm macro lenses. For all practical purposes when i shot RAW, ISO the same (200) , f5.6 and shutter the same, the olympus images had much more clarity and pop than the full frame nikon. After a lot of agony of which to keep, i finally packed up the Nikon and took it to the post office today...I've had an SLR since 1975 and then shot medium format for a few years and then got into DSLR. That is why I was naturally drawn to DSLR and not a mirrorless camera system.

I don't shoot travel photography, i don't shoot professionally, none of that. I am just shooting family photos and videos around the house, some informal portraits, birthday parties, and some fun macro stuff. These two lenses i got have some length and the pro lens has a little weight. I'm looking for some input for a single prime to stick on the camera while i carry it with me every day to and from work or other places that i normally wouldn't be going with the intent to take photos. I want a just in case lens to stay on the camera for such occasions. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank You,
    Jeff H

2. peter124

peter124 Mu-43 Regular

Panasonic 12-32? As small as most primes and decent optically.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

Panasonic 20mm f1.7. Excellent optical quality, fast, small, and relatively inexpensive. The only con I can come up with is that it has some issues with banding when used on some Olympus cameras at high ISO.

Another good option, from what I've read, (I haven't used it yet, but it's next on my wish list) is the Olympus 25mm f1.8. It focuses a bit faster than the 20mm, and also has excellent optical quality. It's a little bit bigger, though still small, and a little more expensive, but still excellent value.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    My vote would be for the oly 17/1.8. I bought it on a whim and have been surprised how much I have used it. But in the end its down to personal taste

This is what I have shot with the 17

Olympus 17/1.8

your needs and tastes may differ

K

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i'd say go for either one of these, depending on the budget and your preference on "rendering":

- panasonic 15mm f1.7
    - olympus 17mm f1.8
    - panasonic 25mm f1.4
    - panasonic 25mm f1.7
    - olympus 25mm f1.8

you may check out the showcase threads of each lenses (though there's none yet for the panasonic 25mm f1.7)

6. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Going from your initial post, in your shoes I'd go for a mild wide angle, either the 17mm from olympus or the 15mm from Panasonic. I sold my 17 in favour of the 15 as I think it's a better lens - but that's based on my needs for the street.

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    After reading the reviews on the 17/1.8 I decided not to buy one. Like the cantankerous Scotsman I bought one on a whim, and I too am surprised how much I have used it.

I've had most of the "normal to widish" primes and I have to say the 17/1.8 has become one of my favourites. The P20 is a nice lens but the AF in low light is not stellar.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    I appreciate the suggestions. I was leaning and still leaning towards the Olympus 17mm f1.8. I haven't decided just yet but with that lens along with silent shutter with my camera, it may open up some near subject possibilities. I'm pretty indecisive so it may take me a little while to pull the trigger on a purchase (measured in a few days not months).

9. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    It is a pretty versatile lens:

P8220020.

11. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    If you wanted the same FoV as your D750 with the 50mm go for one of the 25mm's. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I went the Oly 25mm just for the size factor. But it now seems my everyday lens will be the p20 on a gm1 just for the size factor. The OM-D's can stay home until I know I need them.

12. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H
    WOW!! Nice.

13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Hi Jeff,

I have the M5II and 1240PRO and I think you will be one happy camper!

I also take my camera around on a daily basis with no specific photography on the agenda, and have tried the P14 pancake, the PL25 fast prime, and the O45 portrait lens in this role. The P14 is way, way cheaper than the O17 yet actually sharper, and so tiny that it makes the P20 look fat, and the camera is all-but-pocketable with it. A definite winner and my tip for your needs, unless you think you will be taking portraits on your daily/unscheduled rounds, in which case it is too wide for that role. Remember, the new Leica Q full-frame has a 28mm lens, so 14mm on m43 is a perfectly sensible choice for you. People don't realize how well engineered this lens is, with three aspherical elements and an original RRP of $400 (much cheaper now), that's $7,200 per kg :p. It's a serious lens.

P.S. I never owned one but once wrote this post about the Nikon combo you had, so I understand your experience and don't think there is any mystery to it.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If money is a factor, you have some great options from Sigma for cheap. They are f/2.8, so not faster than the 12-40 - but small, competent and sharp.

I personally like the Olympus primes. I have the 17/25/45 f/1.8 and love using all of them. Great IQ and very small. Flickr sets below.

Olympus 17mm f/1.8

Olympus 25mm f/1.8

Olympus 45mm f/1.8

15. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you don't already know it, this is a nice tool for size comparison (hover over the lenses to see details):

Compact Camera Meter

16. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    If you like 50mm FOV then I second trying either the PL25 (or the O25 would be fine). I have the PL25 and it sits well on the O-MD bodies. Like my 50mm from the SLR days. It's a great walk around lens if you don't shoot wide a lot. I have tried wider ones but they never worked for me (even the amazing 20mm) - it's a matter of taste and what feels right to your eye.

So many good primes for this system, you can't go wrong!

17. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If i got your question right, you're looking for a non heavy prime with a normal-ish field of view.

First you need to decide if you like the 35mm, 40mm or 50mm equivalent (what was your favorite lens on an SLR in the 70s, 80s and 90s?)

Any one of these would do fine. All have certain pros and cons.

Cons: 15mm
    tends to have above average CA on Olympus bodies, some people say that 17mm is not that sharp, Panasonic 20mm (not mentioned above) has slow AF (horrendous in low light), panasonic 25mm 1.4 is bigger and pricier and arguably softer than Oly counterpart until smaller apertures are used, and (again) some people say Oly 25mm is bland.
    Pros: 15mm is the widest of the bunch, and has really good reviews, 17mm is the only one that mimics the popular 35mm equivalent that many people love, Panasonic 20mm is sharp as hell and the tiniest of the bunch, panasonic 25mm 1.4 has that sweet Leica feel (that i just don't see) and biggest aperture, and Oly 25mm has a solid price, solid size, above average sharpness and is basically equal to the Oly 45mm with a different focal length, (obviously).

18. Tall Guy

Tall Guy Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2015
    Jeff H

I went over to DP Reviews and read this thread. Good grief, you had to dig you claws in pretty hard on this one. I feel the same way but in a very unscientific way. with my shooting style, the D750 just didn't preform the way the Olympus does. I do realize that some of what I was seeing was using a sub-par lens on the Nikon. I wasn't willing to shell out the cash for the pro Nikon glass to bring it up to par and I didn't want to haul around the weigh that comes with that much glass. It would basically take out the fun of shooting casually as I do. I looked at the P14. that price is definitely intriguing. I will have to decide if that wide is a little too wide for my taste but for the price it may be worth a try either way.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    you can always rent a lens (something i miss here in Croatia) for a few days without committing a lot of $$.

If buying, check out used deals here on B&S subforum

20. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Another vote for the the Olympus 17mm f/1.8.

• Agree Agree x 1