OMD EM5 Mark II mirrored LCD display issue

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Hi.

Yesterday I went out for a photoshot and for my dismay I've noticed that when I flip out the EM5 MK II LCD screen the image was showing upside down and mirrored.
The first think that I though was that I must have messed with the menu and turned ON the Selfie Assist option.
In fact I had the Selfie Assist option turned ON.
I've switched it to OFF and thought to myself: that's it. This must have solve it.
But I was mistaken... The issue is still there.
I switched off and on the camera and tried again. Same thing. The image is showing fine when the LCD is placed parallel to the camera in the rest position, facing back.
But as soon as I flip it to the side in landscape position (facing up), or in the "L" position (with the camera in portrait position and LCD facing up), the image gets upside down and mirrored.
After I get the photo session done, at home I've decided to do a complete Reset, just in case I was missing some other adjustment.
I've lost all my configurations but the issue is still there...
I'm desperate because I use the LCD a lot. And I have another work to do next weekend.
I use a lot the LCD to get lower angles and such. I rarely use the viewfinder.

Does anyone else got this issue with the OMD EM5 MK II ?

Any ideas?

keith1200rs

Mu-43 Veteran
I assume there is some sort of sensor or switch which detects the screen orientation. If that is faulty or fails, the camera won't know which way to put the image. A repair might be needed.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
The default is usually Selfie assist on, as all it does is mirror the picture when the screen is alongside the camera facing forward. Flip is different. The screen has to flip if it is stored facing out and then moved to the side position. I think the flip sensor has to be in the screen reading a magnet in the hinge. Not sure where the selfie mirror sensor is.
For me, with Selfie assist on, and the screen facing out but stowed, the screen will first mirror when moved past the 90 degree point, and then flip as it is brought horizontal.
Sounds as though your sensor or the cabling sending the signal to the camera has failed.

BSJI

New to Mu-43
Exactly same issue with me. Suddenly the orientation sensor doesn't work at all. The LCD orientation is fixed to 'normal' LCD position & 180 degree flip of selfie position. I tried to check with tear down the LCD assembly but in vein and my LCD cable was worn out.
As the warranty is over, I will try to fix it by myself when the LCD cable replacement is ready.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Exactly same issue with me. Suddenly the orientation sensor doesn't work at all. The LCD orientation is fixed to 'normal' LCD position & 180 degree flip of selfie position. I tried to check with tear down the LCD assembly but in vein and my LCD cable was worn out.
As the warranty is over, I will try to fix it by myself when the LCD cable replacement is ready.

I've done the same root as you at the time, and disassembled the LCD... and the LCD cable broke.
So it went to repair.
Olympus repair centre put a brand new LCD and made a complete clean of the camera.
It is working fine since then.

BSJI

New to Mu-43
I ordered the cable more than a year ago but keep used the camera without the LCD
But today, I finall fixed my camera by myself.
Below is my procedure.

1. order the flex cable from the Aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005003244080528.html
2. open the bottom and back of the camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoEDHspL5Sg
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/e-m5-ii-stuck-switch-won%E2%80%99t-power-off.107895/
3. replace the damaged cable with the new one
3-1. detach the screen & disconnect damaged cable
3-2. cut the tip of damaged cable and tie with the new one and pull carefully
don't need disassemble the hinge but make sure the cable is placed right position
(see below image)
H18352aa2930145b2a6d8a152416578c24.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3-3. connect the both side (LCD/main board) with new cable
4. Assembly is the opposite of disassembly

Now the LCD works properly ;-)

Latest threads

Top Bottom